• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

I can also get a coffee cup between the seat and the centre console, sitting on the “flat bit” where there are normally some blanks.

In combination with the sheepskin seat covers, it’s held there fairly well, confident enough that’s it’s not going to fall over or slide away.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Actually, that spot is perfect. I'll just double sided tape something there to make sure cup doesn't fall over and that is one cup holder sorted. Ashtray for the other maybe

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

I haven’t sized it up yet, but you could possibly put one of these either side of that centre console.... fold em out when needed (not sure how much they might be in the way though); fold em back up when done.

They can come in a couple different colours, fixed and adjustable arms. Stainless too if you really want to splurge.

Buy our Drink Holder Adjustable Arms. Lowest prices guaranteed. Order now and spend $399 or more for FREE shipping!
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

That's an idea, cheers. I'll measure it up

Comment

• aussieguy
            • Oct 2015
            • Brisbane

I got one of those cup holders that sit between the seat and center console, was a piece of shit and too shallow to hold a cup of tea let a lone a good sized coffee, would not recommend.
            05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
            02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Cheers. One of those ones that are all over eBay?

I was just thinking of sticking in something round there that I know will take a decent cup

Comment

• aussieguy
                • Oct 2015
                • Brisbane

The Car Cleanse sits easily between your seat and your console providing your car with two extra-large cup holders. Perfect for the front seats and just as effective for the passenger seats. • Car Cleanse – Instant organisation.

One of these... no good, too shallow and useless to hold anything especially on a bumpy surface.
                05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the info

Comment

• Alex86
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Here and there

I got a little bored so I took one of the little flip-out ones I mentioned before off the boat and had a look at it in the Paj... nope won’t fit in that spot I thought.

As an alternative, you could potentially put it on the rear face of the centre console (ie think where it would be easy for the middle seat passenger from the row behind to grab a drink). Couldn’t take a photo in position as it’s where my fire extinguisher is.

I thought maybe two holders there could be handy. I can’t find a “dual” type flip out, but you could possibly put two onto a plate, and the plate attached to the back face of the centre console.

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

Thanks for checking that. I just had a play with a cup in that spot next to drivers seat. It just about holds cup there with no problems as it is, but I might just stick some bits in to stop cup rocking back and forth and it should be sweet

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

How on earth do you get the cup holder itself out of the console? I don't think I can undo any other screws without removing the cup holder itself

Centre console is out of the car so I'm looking at all angles of it

Going to have a play improving this one as well as adding others to the car

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Pakenham

2 screws on the shelf from inside the box then it is held in around the edge by clips. A bit of persuasion is required.
                          99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Great, cheers. The persuasion part did the trick. Was scared of forcing it too much before

Thanks for the help

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

Success!!

I've managed to make some mods to the larger of the pull out cup holders.

The photos are pretty self explanatory, but the cup part has a hook at one end so it grabs with cup in the holder. It can slide in to close the whole cup holder. That cup holder wire grabs onto another bit of wire that goes through the rib in the plastic and is screwed in to hold it solid.

Wire used is about 1mm high tensile stainless fishing wire that I use for making lures etc

Seems to work well and is pretty simple. I don't even know what the original looked like for the larger one, but I'm sure this is an improvement on that which is really saying something about how bad the original was! The whole plastic part the screw goes into for the original was broken off

My only desire: spring loaded so it moves out on its own. I was trying to get that worked out but was wasting too much time looking for a spring. I wanted to mount this wire to spring out on its own (being spring stainless) but it didn't seem to want to work. Can always mod this later, as the longest part about it was working it out, not much time in the actual making.

Comment

• erad
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2015
                                • Cooma NSW

Interesting - this thread has generated about as much discussion as the the board-room consideration for a bicycle rack at a nuclear power station..... Good stuff I say. By the way Stu - well done. When I fixed my cupholder, it was only the pivot for the left (smaller) which had broken and I managed to fudge up a larger pivot for it and that worked with care for the rest of the time I had the car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X