• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hauxon
    • Feb 2016
    • Akranes

Bulp blues

My troubles are twofold.

1. I find it near impossible to change the D2S Xenon bulb in my 2007 Pajero. My hands are about average size but I just can't fit my hand into the tiny space behind the headlight. Is there a manual or something on how to change the bulb? Am I missing something?

2. I bought a non original spare bulb (fitted by a garage) but it lasted only few months and started flickering. Last weekend I squeezed my hand in an managed to loosen the bulb and found the plastic on the bulb and socket had melted. Any one experienced this? Do you think this might be a problem with the cheap bulb or maybe a faulty ballast?

Thanks,
    Hrannar Hauxon
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

D2S bulbs run at quite high voltages and rely on very good contact between the bulb and connector.

Unfortunately lower priced bulbs are generally also of lower quality and this often includes the measurement of the contact ring on the bulb. A poor contact will result in overheating and, eventually, melting of the plastic

It is possible to replace the connector and bulb but I suspect that in Iceland there may not be someone with the necessary skills, knowledge and/or parts. Your only choice is, most likely, going to be to replace the headlight.

As for replacing the bulb, under normal circumstances it is, just, possible to get enough access. On right hand drive vehicles access on the left side is quite reasonable but if the vehicle has been fitted with a Safari type snorkel the access on the right hand side is impossible and requires removal of the bumper or bull bar and then headlight(s). I'm due to replace my D2S bulbs and not looking forward to the job.
    Last edited by NFT5; 15-01-19, 09:01 PM.
    Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X