Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-02-19
twisted32 twisted32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post

Larger diameter tyres and the Auto trans, yes I too would like to go up a tyre diameter and have been worried about the effect on the Auto but now having had Auto Mate fitted for 6 months and 14,000kms I am up sizing the tyre diameter in the next few months when I get new tyres.


OJ.
Never thought I would see the day
__________________
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 MT51s, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, torque converter lockup, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-02-19
littleriver's Avatar
littleriver littleriver is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland
Posts: 3,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted32 View Post
Never thought I would see the day
X2 ...

Maybe there will be an insight into the OJ tyre wisdom... I am eagerly waiting on his next tyre choice...

Could there be an upsize of rim also ???

....
__________________
2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-02-19
nj swb's Avatar
nj swb nj swb is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleriver View Post
Could there be an upsize of rim also ???

....
If I were a betting man, I would bet not.
__________________
NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 Toyo MT, Lift, Lockers, 3.15 gears, LRA Aux tank, bullbar, winch, lights, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-02-19
old Jack's Avatar
old Jack old Jack is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 6,121
Default

Ha Njswb, knows me too well!

Tyre size will change from a the standard diameter LT245/75R-16 which I have run since new instead of P265/70R-16 factory tyre to LT235/85R-16 which is 10mm narrower but 30mm larger in diameter. No secret to those who know me well, that I have always wanted this size tyre and are a narrow tyre person rather than a wide tyre person. I have been frustrated by the auto trans programing, high slip torque convertor and high diff ratios, Auto- Mate has offset all of these issues so I am comfortable to make the change. Of course I will run these on the standard alloy rims as I see no need to change (waste money for sheer vanity).

If I am unhappy with the loss of performance I will either just live with it or change back tyre size or get a tune or change diff ratios. Challenger is less than 20,000km away from being out of the 160,000km/10 year engine and drive line warranty so warranty is less of a concern.

Also after the last very unsatisfactory service from MM Dealer Service Department (3rd Dealer in Adelaide I have not been happy with) I will either service myself or find some who will do it correctly.

OJ.
__________________
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13-02-19
russ1 russ1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: adelaide
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Ha Njswb, knows me too well!

Tyre size will change from a the standard diameter LT245/75R-16 which I have run since new instead of P265/70R-16 factory tyre to LT235/85R-16 which is 10mm narrower but 30mm larger in diameter. No secret to those who know me well, that I have always wanted this size tyre and are a narrow tyre person rather than a wide tyre person. I have been frustrated by the auto trans programing, high slip torque convertor and high diff ratios, Auto- Mate has offset all of these issues so I am comfortable to make the change. Of course I will run these on the standard alloy rims as I see no need to change (waste money for sheer vanity).

If I am unhappy with the loss of performance I will either just live with it or change back tyre size or get a tune or change diff ratios. Challenger is less than 20,000km away from being out of the 160,000km/10 year engine and drive line warranty so warranty is less of a concern.

Also after the last very unsatisfactory service from MM Dealer Service Department (3rd Dealer in Adelaide I have not been happy with) I will either service myself or find some who will do it correctly.

OJ.
Hello OJ, let me know if/when you find a reliable dealer in town. I now drive 3 hrs to Pt Pirie for servicing (they were extremely helpful when the motor went last year on a trip). I am well and truly over MM dealers, particularly the one in the southern suburbs, absolute amateurs. cant beat country hospitality and care. cheers
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
colmat colmat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Taree
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Hi Colmat,

Max lift height is Front 570mm front as you need to retain 2/3's of the original droop travel to stay legal. Go higher than this and you have lost too much droop travel so you will get more unwanted traction control and stability control activations.

Max lift height for the rear is 595mm with an Auto and even then you can still get a small amount of driveline vibration at 35kph to 45kph, this can be reduced by fitting offset trailing arm bushes but this does add to the cost of the upgrade.
Factory ride heights are Front 542mm+/-20mm and Rear 552mm +/-20mm, so there is a standard rake angle of 10mm (difference between front and rear ride heights, from my experience the Challenger can tolerate up to 30mm difference before you notice any handling problems.

Without knowing your exact axle weights it is difficult to give you a recommendation on which particular coils to use but the King/Oztec combination is a reasonably priced recreational suspension upgrade. If you travel heavy, tow heavy or do a lot of extended off the bitumen touring at GVM+weights then you need to be particularly careful with both coil and shocker/strut selection. If you weigh your front and rear axle weights I can assist with some more detailed information. What ever coils you fit I strongly recommend replacing the rubber cone spring assists with the Peddars/Aeon 5899 cones as these provide a greater level of spring assist in deep compression and activate earlier in the compression travel, dozens of owners have fitted these and I have not heard of a single complaint about there performance.

Larger diameter tyres and the Auto trans, yes I too would like to go up a tyre diameter and have been worried about the effect on the Auto but now having had Auto Mate fitted for 6 months and 14,000kms I am up sizing the tyre diameter in the next few months when I get new tyres.


OJ.
Thanks OJ your knowledge and expertise appreciated as always!!

Went to weight bridge and got the following readings with full tank of fuel and driver only.
Front = 1180kg with EBH = 532mm
Rear 1140kg with EBH = 527mm
Total 2320kg

As mentioned I have factory alloy bull bar up front, factory tow bar on rear, plus single drawer unit (steel) and 100Ah battery mounted in rear.

No caravan towing for me, just occasional box trailer usage. When we travel its just a couple of extra passengers and luggage to be throw in (we camp in motels).

Would like to try and lift the ole girl up to the safe limits you suggest (approx. F=570mm, R=585mm???). 90% of time will be spent as daily drive on bitumen so want to maintain on-road comfort but hopefully still gain offroad ability when required...…..yes I want it all!!

Would appreciate any suggestions on spring/shock combo suitable for my needs. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
old Jack's Avatar
old Jack old Jack is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 6,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmat View Post
Thanks OJ your knowledge and expertise appreciated as always!!

Went to weight bridge and got the following readings with full tank of fuel and driver only.
Front = 1180kg with EBH = 532mm
Rear 1140kg with EBH = 527mm
Total 2320kg

As mentioned I have factory alloy bull bar up front, factory tow bar on rear, plus single drawer unit (steel) and 100Ah battery mounted in rear.

No caravan towing for me, just occasional box trailer usage. When we travel its just a couple of extra passengers and luggage to be throw in (we camp in motels).

Would like to try and lift the ole girl up to the safe limits you suggest (approx. F=570mm, R=585mm???). 90% of time will be spent as daily drive on bitumen so want to maintain on-road comfort but hopefully still gain offroad ability when required...…..yes I want it all!!

Would appreciate any suggestions on spring/shock combo suitable for my needs. Cheers

Best calculated guesstimate and based on feedback from others I would suggest;

Front suspension; King KCFR-55 if you want a firmer ride or KCFR-55T is you want a softer ride than the factory suspension, both coils will give the front a lift.

Rear suspension; KCRR-23 on the rear since you have some fixed weight in the rear cargo area but are not towing with a heavy towball loads. Fitting Peddars 5899 at the same time is highly recommended.

Choice of struts and shockers is up to you but the multiple feedback I have had from the King/OzTec combination is everyone is happy with this both on road and in light to medium duty off road situations and is good value for the money and good warranty.

GSA in Qld should be able to give you a competitive price for pre-assembled front struts and coils + rear coils. Speak to Steve and tell him you are from the Pajero Forum and OJ from SA referred you to him.

A visit to Peddars for the 5899 cones, retail for about $125 a pair, (trade is $90-$100 depending on which Peddars you buy from).

Fitting the suspension is about 3-4 hours work for a trained mechanic that knows what they are doing but if attempting it yourself allow 5 to 7 hours depending on your experience and what tools you have. I would not recommend fitting your own suspension unless you are an experienced "home mechanic" with reasonable tools and some suspension experience. If you go down this path then I can email you the tricks of the trade and the traps to be aware of.


OJ.
__________________
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
colmat colmat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Taree
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Best calculated guesstimate and based on feedback from others I would suggest;

Front suspension; King KCFR-55 if you want a firmer ride or KCFR-55T is you want a softer ride than the factory suspension, both coils will give the front a lift.

Rear suspension; KCRR-23 on the rear since you have some fixed weight in the rear cargo area but are not towing with a heavy towball loads. Fitting Peddars 5899 at the same time is highly recommended.

Choice of struts and shockers is up to you but the multiple feedback I have had from the King/OzTec combination is everyone is happy with this both on road and in light to medium duty off road situations and is good value for the money and good warranty.

GSA in Qld should be able to give you a competitive price for pre-assembled front struts and coils + rear coils. Speak to Steve and tell him you are from the Pajero Forum and OJ from SA referred you to him.

A visit to Peddars for the 5899 cones, retail for about $125 a pair, (trade is $90-$100 depending on which Peddars you buy from).

Fitting the suspension is about 3-4 hours work for a trained mechanic that knows what they are doing but if attempting it yourself allow 5 to 7 hours depending on your experience and what tools you have. I would not recommend fitting your own suspension unless you are an experienced "home mechanic" with reasonable tools and some suspension experience. If you go down this path then I can email you the tricks of the trade and the traps to be aware of.


OJ.
Awesome thanks OJ,

I understand the KCFR-55T is progressive rate spring to provide more comfort but does it achieve the same lift as the KCFR-55 or is it less due to the initial "soft" phase of spring.

Also, is it worth considering the KCRR-23HD for the rears or would they be too firm? I'm just wondering with 1140kg over rear axle as a base load, whether any lift would be negated when adding a couple of passengers/luggage or towing a loaded box trailer?? I thought I read one of your previous forum posts that said the KCRR-23 would only achieve approx. factory EBH height with my rear axle weight?? Can't find the post now though.....grrrr!

Cheers mate
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
old Jack's Avatar
old Jack old Jack is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 6,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmat View Post
Awesome thanks OJ,

I understand the KCFR-55T is progressive rate spring to provide more comfort but does it achieve the same lift as the KCFR-55 or is it less due to the initial "soft" phase of spring.

Also, is it worth considering the KCRR-23HD for the rears or would they be too firm? I'm just wondering with 1140kg over rear axle as a base load, whether any lift would be negated when adding a couple of passengers/luggage or towing a loaded box trailer?? I thought I read one of your previous forum posts that said the KCRR-23 would only achieve approx. factory EBH height with my rear axle weight?? Can't find the post now though.....grrrr!

Cheers mate
The KCFR-55T will give you a similar lift to the KCFR-55 with your light front axle weights,I have driven "Chillipepperz's" Challenger fitted with these coils and Bilsten struts and the ride is noticeably more comfortable, softer and a little more body roll than the factory coils and from memory of the KCFR-55 which I have not driven on for several years. Multiple forum members have both coils fitted so maybe you can get some feedback from them.

I think the KCRR-23HD would be too heavy a spring rate and too high a EBH for you unless you carry an extra 100kg or so in the rear cargo area all the time. You have not said what the rear passenger weights are or the weight of luggage that you carry when "motel camping" and since you are not towing a camper trailer or caravan then this is why I choose the KCRR-23 over the KCRR-23HD.

OJ.
__________________
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oztec suspension....tell me more ilikeachallenge Where the rubber hits the road. 25 10-01-19 10:24 AM
Oztec + Kings Plez Where the rubber hits the road. 2 06-08-18 10:00 AM
dobinson suspension redrock Generation 2 Pajero 1 09-12-15 07:11 PM
Oztec Suspension Peterng Where the rubber hits the road. 2 17-10-14 01:10 AM
Dobinson suspension AndyRW PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 3 10-11-11 08:18 PM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.