• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rnn_onmt
    • May 2017
    • Freo ish

UltraGauge for Gen4-2 plus other bits

Gday All,

I realise there is/are other threads perhaps even many but all I ask is what is the version of UltraGauge I should buy for my NT? I need some feedback on how my car is doing.

I went out on a mild offroad run on the weekend and was impressed by the cars performance especially considering it's onroad bias. It has a little lift and larger tyres but no real mods per say.

We were held up by traffic at one stage. A skills tester. I was tempted to descend into a bowl of sorts that went into a muddy patch to then on to a struggle up a snotty climb.

While I was waiting my turn to descend or chicken out I had a look about to assess how my car was going. I was looking for oil temp and oil pressure and auto temp and block temp and exhaust gas temp and boost pressure.

We watched a couple of clowns seemingly devoid of skill piloting their pigging trucks. They were all lock, stomp and steer. No thought given to track condition or other users but they were entertaining. I bet they had gauges though. Farkers

I prepped for the trip by fixing the sh1tfull MMAL bash plates. The underbody protection is a tragedy. Fixed by Money and Boos Bash Plates.

As this is the daily shopping trolley etc I did not notice the lack of engine monitoring.

Anyhow this little blurb gets worse with each beer and I have asked my question.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the answer.

Cheers.
    -

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

I use the torque app and a tablet.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

You ask about engine oil pressure and temperature. As far as I know, the ECU doesn't monitor these parameters, and the ultragauge and similar units only pick off what the ECU is actually monitoring. Certainly it monitors boost pressure and cooling water temperature, but I don't think that the exhaust gas temperature is monitored by the ECU.

I have a Scangauge II and it doesn't directly monitor the auto temperature (my Pajero is a manual anyway),but there are plenty of references on this forum as to how to monitor the auto temperature. Scangauge is available through a local dealer whereas the Ultrragauge is a direct import. I think that the Ultragauge is a better device because it can monitor up to 8 parameters, (Scangauge only does 4) and also offers an alarm function.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

The Ultragauge you need (assuming you have an auto) is the MX
        UltraGauge UltraGauge MX [UltraGauge_MX_1.3] - This product was obsoleted on 9/20/19 The UltraGauge MX has all the features as described on our main page, except that the MX has the added ability to access non-standard manufacturer specific gauges, such as transmission temperature (if supported by the vehicle) Please note that

I have mine showing 4 - coolant temp, trans oil temp, boost, and intake air temp - but they will show up to 8 on 1 screen but using a smaller font. Once you’ve been monitoring these 4 for a while, they give a good indication of how hard the vehicle is working, plus how hot the engine & auto is.

Scangauge is just as good and possibility easier to mount due to its shape (double sided tape to the top of the steering column).

ps you’ll be amazed at how hot the coolant gets with minimal or no movement of the factory gauge! - I had my coolant at 100c but the factory gauge had only gone up 1mm and was nowhere near the ‘red’.
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
          • May 2017
          • Freo ish

Thank you. Reading things like the coolant gauge not moving is not good.

Last edited by Rnn_onmt; 21-06-18, 12:56 AM. Reason: Cut short my response

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Rnn_onmt View Post
            Thank you. Reading things like the coolant gauge not moving is not good.

It isn't such a bad thing, but the OEM gauge is not linear, and when you pass beyond the normal point (halfway) the gauge moves a bit quicker than you would expect. As noted above and by myself, 100 Deg C is a fraction past the centre of the gauge, but the boiling point would be about 125 Deg C and this would be the red on the gauge.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
              • May 2017
              • Freo ish

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
              The Ultragauge you need (assuming you have an auto) is the MX
              UltraGauge UltraGauge MX [UltraGauge_MX_1.3] - This product was obsoleted on 9/20/19 The UltraGauge MX has all the features as described on our main page, except that the MX has the added ability to access non-standard manufacturer specific gauges, such as transmission temperature (if supported by the vehicle) Please note that

I have mine showing 4 - coolant temp, trans oil temp, boost, and intake air temp - but they will show up to 8 on 1 screen but using a smaller font. Once you’ve been monitoring these 4 for a while, they give a good indication of how hard the vehicle is working, plus how hot the engine & auto is.

Scangauge is just as good and possibility easier to mount due to its shape (double sided tape to the top of the steering column).

ps you’ll be amazed at how hot the coolant gets with minimal or no movement of the factory gauge! - I had my coolant at 100c but the factory gauge had only gone up 1mm and was nowhere near the ‘red’.
              How much did you pay?

The mobile version of this web page has frustrated me enough to try eBay. At 250 I will have to wait.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

How much did you pay?

The mobile version of this web page has frustrated me enough to try eBay. At 250 I will have to wait.

PRice is $90 USD...

I BOUGHT MINE DIRECT FROM USA...No issues at all.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  PRice is $90 USD...

I BOUGHT MINE DIRECT FROM USA...No issues at all.
                  Yep, me too. (Don’t forget to order the mount options you want too)
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                    • May 2017
                    • Freo ish

Thanks again fellas. I will crack on after work.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                      • May 2017
                      • Freo ish

What preprogrammed version did you choose?

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

What preprogrammed version did you choose?

Doesnt

really matter as you will progamme it yourself. I got the Tundra. Others have as well.

The above is the set up parameters for the auto temp. Might seem hard at first but you,ll soon get used to setting it up.
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                          • May 2017
                          • Freo ish

Champion.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                            • May 2017
                            • Freo ish

Well that is done. Ordered the Ultragauge MX 1.3 Tundra with windscreen and Velcro mount.
                            It is still not here...

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Well that is done. Ordered the Ultragauge MX 1.3 Tundra with windscreen and Velcro mount.
                              It is still not here...

How,d you go? I ordered one for a mate and it only took 5 days to arrive. Fed-ex...pretty quick....unlike our mob...
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X