Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 24-11-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem8 View Post
My MY12 Challenger overheated for the first time this week exactly 4 years after the 127KPa cap was fitted as part of the 020116 'Preventative Action Service Campaign'. Despite showing them their invoice and work procedure from 2014 the dealer is refusing to acknowledge that my vehicle was part of campaign and also tell me that the manufacturers warranty has expired (I have the 10 year powertrain and have only done 80k). MMA put it in an email that neither is true but they still refuse to touch the vehicle until I pay a $120 diagnosis fee which will be very hard to recover when they conveniently fail to replicate the issue in their workshop. MMA are now backing them up on this.

This is really nice work on their part after paying their hefty dealer service charges for 6 years. I wouldn't mind but last year they had to rebuild the manual gearbox under the powertrain warranty due to the 3rd/4th gear synchro issue. They initially tried to charge a diagnosis fee but I guess it was such an obvious issue it was always going to be refunded.

What should I do here? From what people are saying once the engine has cooled (and the coolant topped up) the warning light goes out and it operates as normal until the next time. A friend of mine with a Triton broke down 3 times before they eventually gave in and fitted a new gearbox. I don't really fancy paying the $120 fee plus the expensive 84 month service now when we all know a new engine will probably have to be fitted.

I wouldn't buy another Mitsubishi, 2 serious defects on a vehicle that has done less than 80k. If it wasn't for the 10 year powertrain warranty this would be very expensive motoring.
Take it to another dealer ... if it’s a manufacturering defect under consumer law they have to fix it (even out of warranty period) ... pay the $120 and my money is on it will fail the test ... kaching new motor ...
2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 26-11-18

I spoke to the dealer I bought it from on Friday and they will not touch it without a $150 diagnosis fee, not great value when they are 90 minute drive away. On Saturday a quick 10 minute run to the tip with a trailer on the back and the temperature started rising while waiting to go through the weighbridge.It got back ok (up a steep hill) but then I let it idle for a few minutes and up it went again (and I got a video). Yesterday I tried to replicate it without the trailer and it was fine when idling. The rpm increased slightly as the fan kicked in but I can't be 100% that this was happening on the 2 occasions it has overheated at idle. Possible dodgy thermostat? Is that covered under the 10 year powertrain because the dealer tells me it only covers ''certain things'' ie. only the stuff they can't get away with charging for!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hi Everyone,
Thought i would post an update.
After having coolant sensor changed still same problem and overheating. A few more sensors were changed, still same problem... Eventually MMA replaced the engine, saying it was faulty... gave it a month then it started overheating! Last year the challenger spent about 10 weeks in the garage. After this i spoke to MMA and told them i had a lemon, they agreed and offered to give me a new pajero sport. So overall ok outcome, shame tho as i loved my challenger. I hope no-one else has these same issues not fun, but credit to MMA on the replacement. Ill be heading over to the PS forum - thanks to all for your help along the way. Cheers,
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

That is an outstanding outcome mate, hope you enjoy the new vehicle, itís a lot better in respect to the engine gearbox matching set up I believe.
MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelj15 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Thought i would post an update.
After having coolant sensor changed still same problem and overheating. A few more sensors were changed, still same problem... Eventually MMA replaced the engine, saying it was faulty... gave it a month then it started overheating! Last year the challenger spent about 10 weeks in the garage. After this i spoke to MMA and told them i had a lemon, they agreed and offered to give me a new pajero sport. So overall ok outcome, shame tho as i loved my challenger. I hope no-one else has these same issues not fun, but credit to MMA on the replacement. Ill be heading over to the PS forum - thanks to all for your help along the way. Cheers,

Thats an excellent outcome. Just a pity you didnt get the Pajero and instead the sport.