Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 02-01-18

Default Auto trans PB Challenger

I'm currently on a trip from Queensland through the vic high country!

I'm using a scangauge 11 for monitoring the vehicle. Watching ATF, engine water temp, boost and kph.

I spent the last two days doing a bit of driving up very winding roads from 400m elevation to 1200m or so to falls creek and over the hills into bright Victoria.

Driving up to falls creek in D taking it daily easy on the winding roads to avoid the passengers from vomiting I got the top and had hit 110deg in the trans and it then locked out in 2nd gear to which it fairly quickly started to reduce in trans temp. Engine went up a bit but I wasn't pushing it hard and prob hit max 98deg.

Driving up a 20km similar road today I used the selective gears and still hit 99feg on the trans no lockout.

This doesn't seem normal to me? Those temps seem high?

Not towing, vehicle loaded to about 500kg payload including humans. AT tires, lift, BBar, winch...

This trip I have been towing my tandem axle 2.5t van and have had to use low range a couple of climbs due to the ability of the motor to pull at an appropriate speed.

The max trans temp I have seen is 112deg towing in selective gear mode only.

I recently had trans oil changed by my mechanic who us always done a great job on the car but I haven't been able to verify which fluid he used. I've never had issues before.

Thoughts? Is this all normal?
2011 PB Challenger LS 5 seat charcoal grey - ARB bull bar, gme uhf, bushskinz underbody plates, ultimate HD 50mm lift, redarc tow pro, haymen reese tow bar, rhino rack platform, bridgestone d697 a/t tyres, custom built off-road tandem axle caravan!
Old 02-01-18
Valued Member

Is this normal ?
Unfortunately yes!
Keeping the trans in “Drive” is a sure way to get the trans to go into self protect limp mode when driving in these high load conditions, using 2nd and 3rd gears in 4H and keep the revs between 2500 and 3000 results in slow a steady progress without putting too much stress on the torque converter. Unfortunately the torque converter does not lock in either 2nd or 3rd gears so you have to be carefully not to have the torque converter in a very high slip conditions.

There is hope, I will start working with M-&-M on the “Auto Mate” torque converter lockup kit that will allow the torque converter to be locked up in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears and be load and speed sensitive. Currently timeline is mid to end of this year before we have the first kits available.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 02-01-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Is this normal ?
Unfortunately yes!
Keeping the trans in “Drive” is a sure way to get the trans to go into self protect limp mode when driving in these high load conditions, using 2nd and 3rd gears in 4H and keep the revs between 2500 and 3000 results in slow a steady progress without putting too much stress on the torque converter. Unfortunately the torque converter does not lock in either 2nd or 3rd gears so you have to be carefully not to have the torque converter in a very high slip conditions.

There is hope, I will start working with M-&-M on the “Auto Mate” torque converter lockup kit that will allow the torque converter to be locked up in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears and be load and speed sensitive. Currently timeline is mid to end of this year before we have the first kits available.

OJ.
thanks OJ

I thought as much, just hoped there might be a more positive outlook.

Mate that would be a lifesaver. I'm going to get my ecu tuned to help improve towing and touring performance I've really struggled with the towing ability but in essence the car is doing pretty well. I've learned to love her and protect her a bit more throughout the trip. We both have a nasty hill to climb tomorrow which will be interesting. Low range 2nd and 3rd will get us there.

Any suggestions to add to the performance or ability? Plan at the moment is

Ecu tune asap
? Exhaust to match (not sure it's necessary)

Torque converter lockup kit

New tyres and keep her serviced as always.
2011 PB Challenger LS 5 seat charcoal grey - ARB bull bar, gme uhf, bushskinz underbody plates, ultimate HD 50mm lift, redarc tow pro, haymen reese tow bar, rhino rack platform, bridgestone d697 a/t tyres, custom built off-road tandem axle caravan!
Old 02-01-18

Quote:

OJ.
Watching with interest.
2014 Challenger: Factory tow bar | Factory alloy bullbar | Kings LED’s | Window tint | Kumho Mt-51's | Munji EGR Delete | Provent 200 | Redarc Towpro | UHF in dash| Custom rear drawers and fridge slide | 130AH rear AGM battery | Aldi roof bars and Kings awning | Kings Springs KCFR55T front KCRR23 rear and Bilstein shocks. Soon: guards.
Old 02-01-18
Valued Member

oj i have this kit installed into my car

https://automatictransmission.com.au...enger-5-speed/
i can lock up in 1st gear when moving BUT
now the problem is it doesnt shift very nice with the lock up kit installed activated at any given speed or rpm or any gear

now mine is a special car with all the problems im having and had and fuel usage
it unlocks the converter at any hint off a hill so i might still not be finished yet with the old girl i think my convertor is lazy but time will tel i will replace it

but yer i have more info if you wont m8 about the lock up kit as im really in need of this new thing your up to
My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.
Old 02-01-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMChallenger View Post
thanks OJ

I thought as much, just hoped there might be a more positive outlook.

Mate that would be a lifesaver. I'm going to get my ecu tuned to help improve towing and touring performance I've really struggled with the towing ability but in essence the car is doing pretty well. I've learned to love her and protect her a bit more throughout the trip. We both have a nasty hill to climb tomorrow which will be interesting. Low range 2nd and 3rd will get us there.

Any suggestions to add to the performance or ability? Plan at the moment is

Ecu tune asap
? Exhaust to match (not sure it's necessary)
this is only for the egts to keep them under control for the heat no power improvements from it
Torque converter lockup kit
helps but still is a harsh on the gear changes and i find it raises the egts alot and you have to watch them as well and the fuel usage is still pretty crappy towing a 2T van
New tyres and keep her serviced as always.
replys in blue
Mate i have every thing you want to do and it still isnt the best uses fuel when towing with the lock up kit on im running 32"tyres 3" exhaust remapped ecu running 25psi boost and im still not happy with it regulat service (every 5000kms oil & filter changed)
My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
Old 02-01-18
Valued Member

Hopefully the “Auto Mate” will overcome the shortcomings of the WA Gen 2 lockup kit.

https://www.mm4x4.com.au/auto-mate

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 02-01-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy View Post
replys in blue
Mate i have every thing you want to do and it still isnt the best uses fuel when towing with the lock up kit on im running 32"tyres 3" exhaust remapped ecu running 25psi boost and im still not happy with it regulat service (every 5000kms oil & filter changed)
Mmmmm not positive haha

I would upgrade tomorrow but financially just isn't possible bought my lovely wife an Audi Q7 not long ago (not for towing duties) so I have a couple more years with the challenger I'm just trying to keep her going for a while longer argh

I'll do the ecu and see how she travels
Old 02-01-18
Valued Member

this is what im looking at next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=FBjxWAcxAQ4

but if you have something in the pipe lines i will wait
i can even test for you to m8
Old 02-01-18

Quote:
Hopefully the “Auto Mate” will overcome the shortcomings of the WA Gen 2 lockup kit.

https://www.mm4x4.com.au/auto-mate

OJ.
So is this only available for the Pajero at this stage?