Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 13-11-18
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Challenger View Post
Are these correct for a manual
As it all off a app
The 5th gear ratio does appear right for a manual - OJ was talking auto.

Interesting that your friend thinks 4.6 would be better for towing. I put 4.3s in Shorty, and I had somebody try to convince me I should go 4.6. But Shorty isn't for towing, it's smaller / lighter, with the 3.2 and Auto to help out off the line.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 13-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
The 5th gear ratio does appear right for a manual - OJ was talking auto.

Interesting that your friend thinks 4.6 would be better for towing. I put 4.3s in Shorty, and I had somebody try to convince me I should go 4.6. But Shorty isn't for towing, it's smaller / lighter, with the 3.2 and Auto to help out off the line.
Its more for getting off the line.

I have 33.1" muddys. And on a very steep hill i actually get stuck if i stop.
No matter how high i rev or ride the clutch.

I have 3.15 crawlers. So low range i can just release the clutch with no accelerator. And it will just walk no matter how steep.

I want to get a pop up caravan. And either drive with 33s or 32s depending on what im doing.
And dont want to keep using low range
Old 13-11-18
Resident

Quote:
Its more for getting off the line.

I have 33.1" muddys. And on a very steep hill i actually get stuck if i stop.
No matter how high i rev or ride the clutch.

I have 3.15 crawlers. So low range i can just release the clutch with no accelerator. And it will just walk no matter how steep.

I want to get a pop up caravan. And either drive with 33s or 32s depending on what im doing.
And dont want to keep using low range
Fair enough.

Another way to look at it (with the help of a calculator):

Pick any speed, in any gear. For every 3,917 rpm with stock diffs, the engine will go to 4,636 rpm with the 4.636 diffs. So, divide current rpm by 3.917, multiply by 4.636 and that's the new revs your engine would spin at the same road speed.

To shorten things a little, 4636 / 3917 = 1.184.

So, for every 1000 rpm now, the new diffs would require 1184 rpm for the same road speed.

2000 rpm now would go to 2368 rpm at the same speed.

Your example earlier, with 110km/h on 265/70 R16 at 2,304 rpm (if that's correct?) would become 2,728 rpm on 4.636 diffs.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 13-11-18

Quote:
Fair enough.

Another way to look at it (with the help of a calculator):

Pick any speed, in any gear. For every 3,917 rpm with stock diffs, the engine will go to 4,636 rpm with the 4.636 diffs. So, divide current rpm by 3.917, multiply by 4.636 and that's the new revs your engine would spin at the same road speed.

To shorten things a little, 4636 / 3917 = 1.184.

So, for every 1000 rpm now, the new diffs would require 1184 rpm for the same road speed.

2000 rpm now would go to 2368 rpm at the same speed.

Your example earlier, with 110km/h on 265/70 R16 at 2,304 rpm (if that's correct?) would become 2,728 rpm on 4.636 diffs.
Yer. But this app takes the tyres in consideration.
Thats why on the 4.3 and 4.6 the tyre size is larger
Old 13-11-18
Valued Member

I have the 4.6 gears in my Triton. Works nicely with 32 tyres when towing and 33 tyres when off-road. I started with 4.1 gears though.

I now no longer require the manual torque lockup switch in the auto when towing as it is a much more factory ratio (with larger tyres)

It is the Pajero gears I used but you need to confirm you have the 12 diff and axles, otherwise the earlier gen 2 gears will work with the smaller diff.

Will be important as the axles and therefore the rest of your driveline.

Could fit a lsd into your open diff, cannot retro fit a factory locker as the axle length is longer in the Triton/ challenger than the doner Pajero.
Old 13-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd26 View Post
I have the 4.6 gears in my Triton. Works nicely with 32 tyres when towing and 33 tyres when off-road. I started with 4.1 gears though.

I now no longer require the manual torque lockup switch in the auto when towing as it is a much more factory ratio (with larger tyres)

It is the Pajero gears I used but you need to confirm you have the 12 diff and axles, otherwise the earlier gen 2 gears will work with the smaller diff.

Will be important as the axles and therefore the rest of your driveline.

Could fit a lsd into your open diff, cannot retro fit a factory locker as the axle length is longer in the Triton/ challenger than the doner Pajero.

Mm well i have factory rear locker and e locker in front. Differently want to be keeping them.

A mate in a MN triton with 12 bolt rear diff managed to keep the lockers on 4.3s
Old 13-11-18
Resident

Quote:
Mm well i have factory rear locker and e locker in front. Differently want to be keeping them.

A mate in a MN triton with 12 bolt rear diff managed to keep the lockers on 4.3s
The locker is in the diff centre, which gets bolted to the crown wheel. If you already have locker and axles, no problem keeping them.

Old 13-11-18
Valued Member

Quote:
The locker is in the diff centre, which gets bolted to the crown wheel. If you already have locker and axles, no problem keeping them.

As above, was just a heads up if you wanted to change
Old 15-11-18

Ive sourced some 4.636 out of a nl Pajero.
Its 8 inch front and a 9.5 inch rear " 12 bolt"
Just the gearsets are $400 for both.
Will confirm with my diff guy.