Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 14-11-13

Do tritons have one? Or is it specific to the challenger because of the coils?
Old 14-11-13
Valued Member

I'm wondering if there are subtleties in the caster of the rear axle (and therefore the angle of the tailshaft & the uni joints) that require some Challengers to need the damper, while others are OK without the damper ?

Similar to some lifts requiring caster correction to prevent vibration, while others can get away without it.
Old 10-02-14

On my last outing off road i collected the dynamic dampner on a rock and like many before deformed it to a point where it was pressing up against the rear sway bar. I have removed it for the time being with no noticeable vibration issues, but like others have pointed out it must be there for a reason and i am hesitant to risk my 10yr drivetrain warranty. So i want to investigate replacing it or having another made up. I am wondering if anyone with access to a service manual might be able to find the part number for it? Or if others have any issues to report since this was last discussed...

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

I have just done a bit of toing and froing on the phone with mitsubishi in the mean time. Part # is 3501A491 for anyones reference. Cost is $295.90. A lot to spend if it gets hit again next time. What do you guys think???

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..

Last edited by Tombo89; 10-02-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-02-14
Valued Member

Found this in the service manual

GENERAL INFORMATION

The rear axle has the following features:

A banjo type semi-floating type axle has been incorporated.
The wheel bearing is a double taper roller bearing and is highly resistant to a thrust load.
ABS rotor for detecting the wheel speed is press-fitted to the retainer.
Dynamic damper has been installed to prevent the muffled sound. <except Vehicles with 3500-M/T>
Rear differential lock system has been adopted as optional.

*Makes one wonder about the purpose of the Dynamic damper
(prevent muffled sound) ???? would think it would say to reduce vibration ????*
Old 10-02-14

Hmmmmmm, $290 to reduce a "muffled sound". Not very specific is it!

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..
Old 10-02-14
Valued Member

You can get it for half the price MM charge if you really want to replace it.
http://www.amayama.com/search/?q=3501A491&cur=AUD

I have used the site before for genuine parts. Found it really good.
Old 24-04-14
Valued Member

Bent mine on the weekend down the Vic High Country. Collected a submerged rock over a river crossing. Loud thump then a ticking noise. I had bent up and was touching the prop shaft. Removed it on the side of the track in less than 5 mins.
As far as increased vibrations.... none at any speed under normal driving, however, there does seem to be increased vibration noise when at very low revs (like when being lazy and going through a round-a-bout in 3rd and accelerating out). Nothing that really worries me. What does worry me though is that this thing is an awesome 'guard' for the rear diff, sway bar and even prop shaft. For that reason I will spend the $130 and replace it.
Old 24-04-14
Valued Member

Me to think even if it is useless as a dampener is looks to be a great protector.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 24-04-14
Valued Member

The problem with the factory unit is it hangs down like a forward facing hook so it catches on rocks and the centre hump od deeply rutted tracks.
I have designed a different shape dampener that also acts as diff protector, the leading edge angles up and it still uses the original vibration absorbing weight.
I have not had it costed yet as I need to find someone who can fold 5 or 6 mm steel plate with a high degree of accuracy.

cheers, old Jack.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 25-04-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
The problem with the factory unit is it hangs down like a forward facing hook so it catches on rocks and the centre hump od deeply rutted tracks.
I have designed a different shape dampener that also acts as diff protector, the leading edge angles up and it still uses the original vibration absorbing weight.
I have not had it costed yet as I need to find someone who can fold 5 or 6 mm steel plate with a high degree of accuracy.

cheers, old Jack.
How wide is the steel plate? I bought a bar bender that will do up to 6mm x 100mm wide (cost about $240 http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B043)

Simple but very useful!