• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

Aldi 12v fan review and comaprison . on sale this weekend

Hi all,

I picked up one of these aldi fans a little over a month ago for 40 bucks.

I regularly see requests for advice on fans, and I've enjoyed this one compared to the other ones I've had, I figured a review was in order.

Plus they're back on at ALDI this Saturday coinciding with the caravan show in Newcastle.

I thought if anyone was curious about them a video review might just help.

I camped in the back of the car on Aus weekend and this thing saved my butt.

The little LED lights that show charging etc are a bit too bright though for such a closed space but nothing a bit of leccy tape won't fix.

I was only going to post this up in the caravan forum but figure, heck I didn't have the van that weekend and it came in bloody handy.

with that in mind, read on my fellow paj rooters.

They're also seen under other brands like coleman for a few more bob. I.e 80 bucks

If you can spot 30 bucks difference in it, feel free to share

Outside of the obvious spec, it blows air.,

It will accept 12/204v input and has a small battery on board which will give you approx 2-2.5 hrs usage.

LED lights on the front. Bright enough to be workable but not overly bright

I can confirm it will charge the battery and run at the same time when plugged in.

Current draw is excellent

Low - 0.7A

High - 1.1A

LED - 0.1A

Charging - 0.2A

For a basic aux battery set up in your Paj, this thing is a miser on the power.

This was a major reason I grabbed one. I dislike requiring hook ups so anything for me must be 12v and power efficient.

Of course is oscillates and has a small vibration that can be heard. it's not at all bad but I notice it.

I'm quite picky with noise from a fan to be used when sleeping. It's something that can stop me from nodding off and ****s me pretty quick.

I keep a few sets of ear plugs in the Paj just in case. Plus my mates snore like demons, even from a distant tent.

Perhaps the reason I'm so impressed with it, is the fan(s) I'm coming from .

I tried the cool breeze and breezeway fans. These 2 are identical and are pretty common on +camping and van sites selling fans.

After using them , I'm shocked they sell at all.

Noisey is an understatement. You'll have to watch the review to get an idea.

Plus they suck power like nothing else

granted, that's on high but it's no where near acceptable for the average set up.

Leaving this running over night with other items or heading out for the day and forgetting about it, could lead to a flat battery pretty quick.

I used to only use it when solar was operating.

With all that said, I'm heading back down to aldi to pick me up another and one for the mate in the video who was so impressed by it.

Of course, your mileage may vary but I hope it doesn't since I like it so much.

any questions, let me know.

Here's the vid

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Good on ya buddy, sharing your purchase experience out there before the sale is over.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Great review, thanks for sharing,
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• cruisn06
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • Perth WA

10/10 I am packing up to leave soon and the tent needs a fan, you saved me a heap of research. thank you my good man.
        07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• swampy 6863
          • Nov 2012
          • parkes

Just watched your review and gotta agree with you they are a ripper of a fan. I got one last time they were on special and am completely happy with it, Carnt say iv noticed a vibration noise with it though.

Cheers, swampy

Comment

• denmonkey
            • Oct 2017
            • Newcastle NSW

no probs Rugga, I haven't seen aldi put something back on so quick or up the price by 10 bucks like that. I don't wanna be THAT guy who reviews stuff without at least using it for a bit first.

this worked out well though.

when i told my mates about them it was too late and they were sold out. guess they're popular.

Although some Aldis get stuff all stock from the get go. so could be that too.

welcome Ian.

more than happy to spend your money Cruisn.

hey Swamp.

thanks for the info on the vibration mate. I'm grabbing another this weekend and one for the mate in the video. I'll check them out for the vibration.

I think I can probably just tighten it up a bit and get rid of it.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Aldi 12v fan review and comaprison . on sale this weekend

Don’t mean to hijack the thread entirely but speaking of items being rebranded and sold for heaps more, Kmart sold a very similar lantern to this one (same factory by the looks of it) a couple of years ago for just $7. My sister gave me one.

A few weeks ago I’m in Bunnings and realise that it’s been rebranded as an Arlec and now sells for nearly $36..

Absolutely identical save for the Arlec logo.

So those newer $15 Kmart ones with inbuilt batteries will be sold as $50+ Arlecs in a couple of years. Hot tip. Might pick one up myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• denmonkey
                • Oct 2017
                • Newcastle NSW

Looks like there is 2 different kinds at kmart too.
                the d battery one and the rechargable one.
                Both the same price.

won't be getting one but these looked alrright too for 15 bucks.

6000mah power bank with led lamp. not sure how good those leds would be though.
                probably fine for a tent

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post
                  Looks like there is 2 different kinds at kmart too.
                  the d battery one and the rechargable one.
                  Both the same price.

won't be getting one but these looked alrright too for 15 bucks.

6000mah power bank with led lamp. not sure how good those leds would be though.
                  probably fine for a tent
                  Yep our Kmart version of the Arlec one takes 3 D batteries and they last forever.

That powerbank with LED lamp looks alright too for a tent too, I agree. This whole ARLEC / Kmart thing has got me thinking that it's probably way better buying some unbranded cheapie from Kmart than an equivalent price generic item from ebay.

Comment

• Turorit
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Adelaide

I have the Coleman 8" version of this fan, I was pleasantly surprised how well it works. On low power I had it running for about 7hrs.
                    The only letdown is the charge time, being a Sealed Lead Acid it takes a while. It would be nice to replace with a couple of hobby lipo's and balance charger, though for the amount I'll use it, it's not worth the effort.
                    2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
                    --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X