• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Check odometer without key

Not sure exactly where this one fits, but I'll try here.

So I'm on the lookout for a 6g75 engine for my NL. Was going to look at a pull off yourself type wrecker for either later pajero 3.8L or a 380 where price is about half a normal wrecker and I can check condition a bit better. I'm guessing they are both going to suit my needs fine.

I would like to get some idea of the km on the engine, so wanting to check the odometer reading, but the issue at this wreckers is that most cars don't have keys in them. I can drag around a power source to hook up, so power is no problem.

Do mitsubishi have some setup where you can press some button to check the odometer reading? I've read that some cars you can hold down odomoter button, turn on park lights, press some other fandangled buttons on dash etc. Just wondering if there is a simple way on the either the pajero or the 380 to get odometer reading to flash up?

Thanks in advance

Stuart
  • bundyjr
    • Sep 2012
    • brisbane

simply pull the switch out of the rear of the ignition barrel and use a small flat blade screw driver to turn it. all the way on then dash an everything else will power up

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Thanks. Is it hard to get to the switch or a very straightforward procedure? I assumed they made it as hard as possible (even though it has separate immobiliser) so i just thought for a quick check of km it would be in the too hard basket

Comment

• bundyjr
        • Sep 2012
        • brisbane

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
        Thanks. Is it hard to get to the switch or a very straightforward procedure? I assumed they made it as hard as possible (even though it has separate immobiliser) so i just thought for a quick check of km it would be in the too hard basket
        its easy as once you have the plastic steering Colum cover off the switch has I little Phillip's head screw holding it in place then the switch pulls out of the rear of the barrel

Comment

• bundyjr
          • Sep 2012
          • brisbane

given what wreckers want for motors you should look at buying a hole car instead.
          that's what I did when converting my triton to a 6g75.
          I brought 2 vrx 380's. parted them out an made my money back an then some. and I still
          have a spare motor and heaps of other useful spam

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Easier than I thought-thanks for that.

These wreckers want $440 for an engine, pull out yourself. Other wreckers were over $800, which i wasn't too keen on. The private sellers I've talked to seem to be around the $400 mark, but they pull out.

I would buy whole car, but having a bit of trouble finding one. Did you just look in the standard places? I've been looking at facebook marketplace and gumtree.

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

I just cottoned on to salvage vehicle auctions. I'm really tempted, but I think my wife would freak if I ended up with another few cars! Been there before. We don't really have the yard for it either, so they would have to be out the front of the house on the road. Plus a bit of trouble finding car trailer to tow it home with as well

Comment

• bundyjr
                • Sep 2012
                • brisbane

Pickles auctions is where I buy most cars for parts..
                some real bargains can be had if its coming up towards the end of the auction.
                once scored a hailed damaged vx commy ex patrol car for 270 bucks came with 4 new tyres an 3/4 tank of juice best town beater I ever owned.
                being single I can horde cars to my hearts content

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

Ha ha-lucky man!
                  Did you find much improvement with the 3.8 in your car? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. Turns out the pick a part place doesn't have any, so my only other option-in seems to a fair drive away with 200+km on the engines. I can get a magna 3.5 locally with about 140km on it, and trying to work out if it's worth the hassle with the 3.8l

Comment

• bundyjr
                    • Sep 2012
                    • brisbane

My conversion is completely different to what everyone else does.
                    I retained the factory engine ecu from the donor 380 manual. So I had to
                    rewire the hole triton. pretty big job in the end. worth it. Kind of a yes no.
                    power is great but it sucks fuel like its going out of fashion when towing.

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

Thanks. That would be a big job! I do like fuel economy. I thought it might be better with the 3.8

Comment

• bundyjr
                        • Sep 2012
                        • brisbane

best I've ever seen is around 14ltrs. this was a one off mine you.
                        you might be able to get better from retuning the Paj ecu. Ive a wideband gage in my truck an the fueling in the stock 380 ECU is too rich.

Comment

• disco stu
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2018
                          • Wollongong

Yeah, I thought you would get better than that. I gather most other people in pajero's are just using the fuel trims to compensate for the larger cylinders. I am wanting to get inside the ECU for adding in spark map for LPG etc, and I've had Stumagoo get me started into looking at that stuff, but I'm still a long way off getting a reasonable understanding of that. I would really like to be able to use the knock sensor as well, so I'm pondering about extra inputs to the ECU for both knock sensor and lpg switch to change over to lpg spark advance

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X