• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anycolourfloyd
    • Feb 2017
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Hama View Post
    Hi Brodie,

I have got a bed in mine. We have just finished our 5 weeks trip and only slept 2 nights in the tent. I have had it for 2 years now and I love it. It is very handy, you will see it. I have enclosed some photos so you can see it.

Cheers
    hi guys, huge thread revival but it seemed appropriate as what Hama did inspired my build and in my research i didn't see anything else like his.

my design constraints:
    - fit Waeco CFX50 fridge on slide
    - access to the 3rd row seat void
    - space for 1.9m long mattress on top for sleeping
    - 'bed' boards can be stowed behind 2nd row seats when not in use for normal 5 seater

just did a week-long trip to the snowies with a lady friend and while we didn't sleep in the car, we did store the mats and sleeping bags on top of the bed area when moving between sites. the rear box worked great. i need to sort out curtains / shades, then i'll try sleeping in it on my own first.

fingers crossed the attachments worked.
    Attached Files
    2002 NP DiD Manual

Comment

• Lance
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Melbourne

It's great to see an old thread kicked to the top again. It opens it up to those who missed it first time round..........me......

Anyway, I set up a raised bed in the NP for a couple of trips to Cooper Creek and other spots. I went alone so no need for anything flash.
      I used 25mm sq tube and plastic joiners.
      Quick, simple and removable.
      It's strapped to the tie down points and does not move. Throw a sheet of ply over the top, a thin mattress 9?0, I'm only little and I'm set to go.
      I can remove the straps and have the whole setup out on the ground in about 2mins.

I made a 3 piece false floor for the under floor area so I can access that space without removing the frame.
      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Bushboy
        • Dec 2011
        • Broken Hill, Australia

Rear seat removal? Is it legal ?

Rear seat removal? Is it legal ?, had same setup in back of mine, but NSW rego wouldn’t pass it says all seats must be in vehicle, otherwise is ilegal ??

Comment

• Roofchop
          • Jul 2018
          • Carool, Australia

I have a 67 chopped beetle with the rear seats removed & no seat belts , (just dog space!) and is engineered and registered in NSW, one of the comments on engineering document is now a 2 seater (was 5)

Try another tester.....

Look how many have removed the 2 rear seats from 7 to 5 and they are all legal. Probably...

2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Lance
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Melbourne

I assume your referring to the 2nd row seats, if that's the case I believe they can legally be removed 'temporally' in Victoria.

I can't send you to any links or regs to verify this but others may be able to do so and also mention any other conditions.

The 'temporary' is a bit of a concern though.........how long can 'temporary' be ?

Permanent removal does require an engineers certificate and notification to the registration ppl.

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

I've had my rear seats removed for a couple years now as have a platform shelf in the back, either rightfully or wrongly I've had annual inspections done and never questioned and passed each time. Mine paj is a shortie, so rear seats are designed to roll up partly out of the road to increase cargo area anyway so I don't know if that relaxes the decision of those doing inspection or not.
              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Lance
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Melbourne

Vehicle standards - NSW
                PUBLISHED 8 NOVEMBER 2013 | REV. 3
                Light vehicle modifications

Page 14, item 40 may give some info but as is the case with most Govt. publications the info seems to be very broad.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X