• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toddyh
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Lalor Park, NSW

You can get it for half the price MM charge if you really want to replace it.
    Mitsubishi 3501A491 Mitsubishi 3501A491. New & genuine Japanese car parts. Fast shipping. Low prices. Request a quote from Amayama Trading Co. online.

I have used the site before for genuine parts. Found it really good.
    2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Toddyh
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Lalor Park, NSW

Bent mine on the weekend down the Vic High Country. Collected a submerged rock over a river crossing. Loud thump then a ticking noise. I had bent up and was touching the prop shaft. Removed it on the side of the track in less than 5 mins.
      As far as increased vibrations.... none at any speed under normal driving, however, there does seem to be increased vibration noise when at very low revs (like when being lazy and going through a round-a-bout in 3rd and accelerating out). Nothing that really worries me. What does worry me though is that this thing is an awesome 'guard' for the rear diff, sway bar and even prop shaft. For that reason I will spend the $130 and replace it.
      2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Me to think even if it is useless as a dampener is looks to be a great protector.
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

The problem with the factory unit is it hangs down like a forward facing hook so it catches on rocks and the centre hump od deeply rutted tracks.
          I have designed a different shape dampener that also acts as diff protector, the leading edge angles up and it still uses the original vibration absorbing weight.
          I have not had it costed yet as I need to find someone who can fold 5 or 6 mm steel plate with a high degree of accuracy.

cheers, old Jack.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Motorace
            • Oct 2012
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            The problem with the factory unit is it hangs down like a forward facing hook so it catches on rocks and the centre hump od deeply rutted tracks.
            I have designed a different shape dampener that also acts as diff protector, the leading edge angles up and it still uses the original vibration absorbing weight.
            I have not had it costed yet as I need to find someone who can fold 5 or 6 mm steel plate with a high degree of accuracy.

cheers, old Jack.
            How wide is the steel plate? I bought a bar bender that will do up to 6mm x 100mm wide (cost about $240 http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B043)

Simple but very useful!
            2012 PB Challenger- Auto; Full BushSkinz, Pioneer platform roof-rack, ScanGauge 2, Milspec rust proofing, custom seat mod +50mm legroom. Duel battery. Fridge box. Ome suspension.

Comment

• PBChallengerM/T
              • Mar 2014
              • South Australia

I've been out playing on the rocks this weekend and touched down hard a few times (at walking pace). The bash plates and side steps took a hit, and the Diff Dampener is also bent. I did not notice any noise during the low range driving but the minute I was back in high range and on the road, noticed a metallic sound at certain revs. Tomorrow will check for fouling on the sway bar. Another Diff Dampener bites the dust.
              13MY PB Challenger M/T LS, mostly stock for now with a few OE goodies including Alloy Bullbar, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Bash Plate, Roof Bars, Rubber Floor Mats and Neoprene Seat Covers.

Comment

• 02-SR5
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • Toowoomba

Ditch it.
                MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• PBChallengerM/T
                  • Mar 2014
                  • South Australia

Its now removed, probably bent beyond repair. Will be interesting to see if any trace of vibration turns up after its removal. Yet to drive it in the removed condition.
                  13MY PB Challenger M/T LS, mostly stock for now with a few OE goodies including Alloy Bullbar, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Bash Plate, Roof Bars, Rubber Floor Mats and Neoprene Seat Covers.

Comment

• cookie
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Perth

I work in dynamics and vibration engineering and it's what is also known as a tuned mass damper and is most definitely there for a reason.

It could just be for noise and vibration comfort levels or it could also be for longevity of bearings/gears in the diff, by reducing vibration levels. I suspect the later, and it was probably something picked up late in development and hence the slightly ad hoc nature.

Noticing any difference with or without through the seat of your pants would be quite difficult as the drivetrain is already quite isolated from the chassis through rubber mounts. You would really want to check the change in vibration levels on the diff with accelerometers.

There will be a natural frequency of some component in the driveline which causes an undesirable vibration and the mass damper is tuned to flatten the peak vibration response. If modifying the key thing is to keep the mass the same but the direction of stiffness of the mounting is also important.

The PA also has a big one mounted on the back of the transfer case so it may be to do with the prop shaft and uni joints
                    2014 NW GLX
                    ----------------------------------------------
                    Previously: 98 Challenger, 2 inch lift, koni shocks, ARB bullbar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, redarc dual battery sys, UHF, bushman fridge, Wrangler ATR's

Comment

• XLS PB Challenger
                      • May 2016
                      • Reynella East

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

cheers, old Jack.
                      Hi OJ,

Did you end up finishing the above? any pictures?

Cheers
                      Paul
                      2010 PB Challenger Auto - 265/60/18 Dick Cepek - MCC front bar - 9 inch LED kings spot lights- Safari Snorkel - 2 inch lift - REDARC BMS1230 Manager & REDARC TVMS - AUX battery in custom tray behind cargo trim - Jump start feature - 3inch Triton exhaust - morepower diesel chip - bash plates - 9.5 XP winch - Auto front locker - Automate - RV meter.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by XLS PB Challenger View Post
                        Hi OJ,

Did you end up finishing the above? any pictures?

Cheers
                        Paul
                        Hi Paul,

I had actually forgotten all about this project! It has been 5 + years and over 100,000 kms and no problems so far. I am between major projects at the moment so I might have a look at designing a replacement that slopes rearwards,does not hang done and protects the diff. it might even reduce the slight driveline harmonics I get between 35-45kph, which has occurred since the rear ride was increase over 575mm. i recall I found they when my rear ride height is above 600mm the vibration is worse and not noticeable when at 560-565mm which is my ride height at full touring weight of 2860kg, this could because the ride height change or that the load carried is absorbing or insulating the noise/vibration.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X