Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 09-01-19
Valued Member

Default Engine oil ??

My stash of castrol edge 5w 30 has run out and cant find any deals on it now I'm due to do a service. What does the brains trust currently suggest as a alternative?

I find all the ratings for oil confusing, would either of the below be suitable change? the 5w 30 is A3/B4 whereas the ones below are A3/B4 but have a bunch of other ratings also..

Shell Helix HX8 Engine Oil - 5W-30

Castrol EDGE 5W40 SN

I have no complaints with castrol edge, been using it since I got the car for 15k drains..

cheers

Last edited by cookie9; 09-01-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie9 View Post
My stash of castrol edge 5w 30 has run out and cant find any deals on it now I'm due to do a service. What does the brains trust currently suggest as a alternative?

I find all the ratings for oil confusing, would either of the below be suitable change? the 5w 30 is A3/B4 whereas the ones below are A3/B4 but have a bunch of other ratings also..

Shell Helix HX8 Engine Oil - 5W-30

Castrol EDGE 5W40 SN

I have no complaints with castrol edge, been using it since I got the car for 15k drains..

cheers
Stick with what you have been using

https://www.autobarn.com.au/castrol-...engine-oil-10l

How many kms now ? Is it consuming oil ?

NB the oil manufacturers lube selectors give a good idea (as tested and suit factory recommendations)

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 09-01-19
Valued Member

its got 135k on the clock now, not using oil.. been such a great car so far! (apart from rear locker playing silly buggers)

thanks for the link, looking at the shell helix it is $48 for 10L vs $99 for castrol edge... hmmm
Old 09-01-19
Valued Member

oh, I went to shell lube selector and shell helix H8 is recommended for challenger

might give it a try and save myself $50
Old 09-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie9 View Post
oh, I went to shell lube selector and shell helix H8 is recommended for challenger

might give it a try and save myself $50
PM sent

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap