• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davepunc
    • Nov 2018
    • BANGALOW

Lift Kit & Warranty

Does anyone know if adding a lift kit will void the warranty? The guys I'm purchasing the PS off had 2 opinions, the one salesman had a straight, "yes" answer, the other seemed to think it would only void the warranty if the lift kit was deemed reliable for causing the issue.

Just wondering what experience everyone else has had?
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by davepunc View Post
    Does anyone know if adding a lift kit will void the warranty? The guys I'm purchasing the PS off had 2 opinions, the one salesman had a straight, "yes" answer, the other seemed to think it would only void the warranty if the lift kit was deemed reliable for causing the issue.

Just wondering what experience everyone else has had?
    Certainly MM will try and blame the lift for any warranty claim they think has caused or may have contributed to the claim, so be prepared for a discussion with them. MM do have grounds if the lift is illegal so despite what others will tell you, you must retain 2/3's of the original suspension travel so therefore about 30mm lift on the front and 40-45mm on the rear is all you can legally get from a suspension lift. Going up a profile in tyre sidewall will give you another 13mm ground clearance and that really is your legal limit.

Also if you don't inform your insurance company of your mods this can also void your insurance. Same applies to an unroadworthy or unregistered car, your insurance company takes a very dim view of this.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• davepunc
      • Nov 2018
      • BANGALOW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Certainly MM will try and blame the lift for any warranty claim they think has caused or may have contributed to the claim, so be prepared for a discussion with them. MM do have grounds if the lift is illegal so despite what others will tell you, you must retain 2/3's of the original suspension travel so therefore about 30mm lift on the front and 40-45mm on the rear is all you can legally get from a suspension lift. Going up a profile in tyre sidewall will give you another 13mm ground clearance and that really is your legal limit.

Also if you don't inform your insurance company of your mods this can also void your insurance. Same applies to an unroadworthy or unregistered car, your insurance company takes a very dim view of this.

OJ.
      Thanks OJ, I'm based in NSW and from what I've researched, 75mm is now legal. From what you've mentioned though, it still has to retain the 2/3's, so the maximum would be the 30 in front and 45 at the back + tyres? Will this be sufficient for some fun 4x4ing over and above some basic beach driving?

With it staying in the legal guidelines, if something goes wrong with my engine, that cannot obviously have been affected by the lift, they should fix it under warranty?

I'm also installing some bash plates from Custom Off-road, would this also impede my warranty?

Thank you for your help. I pick up my new Pajero Sport on Wednesday and I'm very excited. Amazed at how much info there is on this forum.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by davepunc View Post
        Thanks OJ, I'm based in NSW and from what I've researched, 75mm is now legal. From what you've mentioned though, it still has to retain the 2/3's, so the maximum would be the 30 in front and 45 at the back + tyres? Will this be sufficient for some fun 4x4ing over and above some basic beach driving?

With it staying in the legal guidelines, if something goes wrong with my engine, that cannot obviously have been affected by the lift, they should fix it under warranty?

I'm also installing some bash plates from Custom Off-road, would this also impede my warranty?

Thank you for your help. I pick up my new Pajero Sport on Wednesday and I'm very excited. Amazed at how much info there is on this forum.
        Hi Dave,

Yes you are correct about suspension lift and tyres up to 50mm larger in diameter but there is also a conditions on the tyre diameter! (NSW and QLD only with up to 50mm tyre diameter increase on vehicles fitted with ESC, 25mm for other states.)
        Tyres are not allowed to rub on any part of the body, suspension or steering, in any part of the steering range or suspension travel. 50mm greater diameter tyres will rub on the front mud flaps first then the inner guards, it is also illegal to remove mud flaps!

The PS is a very capable medium duty off-roader straight off the showroom floor, but stock tyres and weak underbody protection let it down. Fit one size up diameter tyres LT AT/MT tyre, aftermarket guards and a legal suspension lift, and you will really see the ability of the PS.

if you are new to 4wdriving then doing a course is well worthwhile.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 04-11-18, 04:48 PM.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DougH
          • Sep 2018
          • Wanaka New Zealand

I've just had fitted Hercules Terra Trac II's in 275/65 x 18's on the standard rims. No rubbing and quite a bit more ground clearance. Looks like a proper 4x4 now.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X