Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Weaping oil left side rear differential.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Well have made progress.

Got the hub end spline out of the hub. Manipulated the hub around a little, but had to use wooden hammer handle as a drift and tap it out, I think that maybe the slight build up of what appears to be rust was restricting it, perhaps.

And carefully leveraged the diff end out of the diff.

Now trying to get the seal out, but seem to be having trouble getting out. Do you lever it out from inner lip our the outer?
    Attached Files
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

You generally need to get whatever you're lending with underneath and onto the outside part, while being careful not to scratch the surface it seals against. But even if you get it in there a little bit you can lever against the metal part that bends around and is on the front of the seal, if that makes sense

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
        You generally need to get whatever you're lending with underneath and onto the outside part, while being careful not to scratch the surface it seals against. But even if you get it in there a little bit you can lever against the metal part that bends around and is on the front of the seal, if that makes sense
        I think so, I don't want to scratch the surface but I may be being too gentle to get anything in under it, to lever it out.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Merly for info only

The surface where the seal runs on,

If it is grooved or a like putting a new seal in will only be a short term fix as the seal contact surface is compromised & soon enough leak again.

Another consideration before re-assembly
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
            Merly for info only

The surface where the seal runs on,

If it is grooved or a like putting a new seal in will only be a short term fix as the seal contact surface is compromised & soon enough leak again.

Another consideration before re-assembly
            Thanks Jason. Yep I understand that, therefore being cautious.

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

Ok this has come loose and I'm unsure if it was part of the seal, or need to go back in before fitting the new seal. ..?

I also cannot see any more detail of differential in the online service manual, unless I'm missing it.
              Attached Files

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey bud

I used a pry bar but a large screw driver may do. You will have to put the end of it inside the seal and lever against the opposite side of the seal if that makes sense, but as mentioned being very careful not to scratch the metal face of the diff. You do have to use a fair bit of force, think once I got it in the corrcet podition had to give the pry bar a real good hit to dislodge the seal.

The metal band that has come it is from within the seal, it assists the rubber sealing flange of the seal to basicslly seal it to the metal components. Thus no this is throw away like the seal.

Pic below to explain.
                Attached Files
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• craka
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Newcastle (Newie)

Yeah I found out that metal part was from the old seal , but thank you.

Got your PM too thanks.

I ended up going and getting a seal puller and a seal driver set.

Got it with the seal puller without marring anything.

Then started driving the new seal in but it started going off kilter. Taken a break from it, will see if I can get it to drive square.

I won't get back to it until the weekend , will probably just get/order another seal and circlip whilst I'm away, incase I end up damaging this seal.

Comment

• craka
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Newcastle (Newie)

Well I working away and couldn't get another seal until just before this weekend.
                    Drove the new seal in , wow that took some time.

Now I'm up to putting the drive shaft back into the diff. I oiled up the flange to try and not damage it and also changed the circlip that goes on the spline that goes into the diff.

So I've go the spline partially back into the diff, and it is line back up so the spline meshes within diff as one I marked it with a permanent marker before removing and secondly if I try to rotate the drive shaft it it will consequently rotate the prop shaft ever so slightly.

But I can't seem to get to push in further. Kind of wish I had more height than what I have under a set of axle stands to be able to get more leverage or to get in a different position.

Is there a method that I should be using to get it in ? I presume its a matter of getting past where the circlip is...?

EDIT: It is definitely getting it past the circlip I'm having issues with. I took the circlip off to check, and can slide the shaft it in without too much of a problem. I've also grease the retainer and circlip to hold it in position so it is 'centred' on the retainer, but still having dramas. Also was trying to use the CV shaft as a slide hammer but not sure how hard to go with that.?
                    Last edited by craka; 17-10-20, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• aussieintas
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Sorell, Tasmania

PM sent bud

Previously
                      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

Well, I got the drive shaft back in over the weekend. I was too weak to hold the weight of shaft and shove it on my own so got some assistance from a mate. Had it sorted within a few minutes of him being there, much better than the couple hours I had tried. 😂

Have everything back together as of tonight, filled diff back up with oil and seems to be all good.

Thank you for all your help guys, especially aussieintas.

Comment

• aussieintas
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Sorell, Tasmania

Originally posted by craka View Post
                          Well, I got the drive shaft back in over the weekend. I was too weak to hold the weight of shaft and shove it on my own so got some assistance from a mate. Had it sorted within a few minutes of him being there, much better than the couple hours I had tried. 😂

Have everything back together as of tonight, filled diff back up with oil and seems to be all good.

Thank you for all your help guys, especially aussieintas.

Cheer bud and well done

Previously
                          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• craka
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Newcastle (Newie)

Thanks mate, I definitely had a few moment where I was like hmm maybe I shouldn't have started this but with you and this forums support, I got there in the end.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X