Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 25-08-19
Valued Member

Default Trans temp

Having the Jatco box and torque pro set up for many years using the equation F-50 the trans temp a coolant temp where mirror perfect . Same temp in the mornings before start and running at 80 degrees once warm.

Read on here a while ago that the equation F-40 maybe the way to go. Changed to F-40 today. Morning start the trans was 3 degrees less than coolant. After driving 20ks at 80k the trans was 15 degrees less than the coolant.

Have no idea which is correct.
Old 26-08-19

That's better than I can get on my NS. Mine reads is in the negatives. I think it was -41 deg with the equation "f-40" and stays static while engine temp goes from cold start up to running temp. I can't figure out why I can't get a proper reading, nice to hear you can.

That is using:
PID: 2102
Min: 0.0
Max: 200.0
scale: x1
unit: deg C
equation: f-40
Header: TCM
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 26-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrubby View Post
That's better than I can get on my NS. Mine reads is in the negatives. I think it was -41 deg with the equation "f-40" and stays static while engine temp goes from cold start up to running temp. I can't figure out why I can't get a proper reading, nice to hear you can.

That is using:

Yeah I had the minus first time I tried.

Follow this mate. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...04&postcount=6

Both the GM and Chrysler are the critical park plus the plus the protocol..
Old 26-08-19

Here is my setup process. Note that the other readings are all fine, I get engine temp, EGR, Cat temps, etc, so the app is receiving data from the CAN Bus

TorquePro (1).jpg

TorquePro (2).jpg

TorquePro (3).jpg

TorquePro (4).jpg

TorquePro (5).jpg

TorquePro (6).jpg

TorquePro (7).jpg

TorquePro (8).jpg

When I change to f-40

TorquePro (9).jpg

TorquePro (10).jpg
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 26-08-19
Resident

I can't see what's going wrong, so I can't explain why you're getting the negative numbers.

I did notice that your third photo https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...chmentid=42312 the PID is 2103, not 2102. On subsequent photos you show that this has been changed to 2102, but I'm wondering if there is a bug in the software that isn't implementing the change? Have you tried creating a custom PID from scratch?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 26-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I can't see what's going wrong, so I can't explain why you're getting the negative numbers.

I did notice that your third photo https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...chmentid=42312 the PID is 2103, not 2102. On subsequent photos you show that this has been changed to 2102, but I'm wondering if there is a bug in the software that isn't implementing the change? Have you tried creating a custom PID from scratch?

That photo is after I have just done the "Add predefined set" to get those PIDs and shows the default setting of 2103. I then edit it to 2102.
I can't remember if I have tried creating it from scratch, I have been trying this on and off for many months. I will give that another go
Old 26-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:

That is using:

Looks like you are doing it correctly. You do have the Pro version I hope and not the free one.
Old 26-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Looks like you are doing it correctly. You do have the Pro version I hope and not the free one.
Yes I have the Pro version. I did wonder if it could be my cheap OBDII device, although it does seem to read everything else fine
Old 26-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Yes I have the Pro version. I did wonder if it could be my cheap OBDII device, although it does seem to read everything else fine

Anything is possible I guess. Had a couple of E bay 'cheapies' that were iffy. Dumped them and ought one from Jcar around $35.
Old 26-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Having the Jatco box and torque pro set up for many years using the equation F-50 the trans temp a coolant temp where mirror perfect . Same temp in the mornings before start and running at 80 degrees once warm.

Read on here a while ago that the equation F-40 maybe the way to go. Changed to F-40 today. Morning start the trans was 3 degrees less than coolant. After driving 20ks at 80k the trans was 15 degrees less than the coolant.

Have no idea which is correct.
I am using -40 for the pid in my NT, and that has the two temps being with a degree of each other when cold in the garage. I have also used an infrared temp tester in the mornings to see if the temps that Torque Pro reports when cold are consistent with its report (they are) - in fact I can get slight variations of infrared report from different areas of the transmission sump and casing, same with different areas of the engine block. I guess that there a different levels of residual heat even after overnight cooling, so I'm not really worried by minor variations.
It's not unusual for there to be a 15 degree difference between the trans and the coolant after driving 20k. The typical cruising coolant temp will be somewhere around 90 once thoroughly warmed up, depending on ambient temp and the driving conditions. Without heavy loading the trans temp will be 70 to 80 or thereabouts, sometimes lower in cold weather. Both will vary constantly depending on the conditions, towing etc etc. I have got out of the habit of watching the gauges too often, but what I do want from it is the ability to see if something out of the ordinary is happening, particularly when towing on a hot day. Highest trans temp I've see was a bit over 110, towing 2.5t on a really hot day up a big hill.
At one stage of my "life with Torque" I had to change phones, and I experienced the -40 temp report of a morning when I first set it up. The only way I overcame that was to remove the app, reinstal it and then create the pid again from scratch, taking meticulous care to take each step in that process according to the formula that Glenn_Cot laid out in the extensive thread that is in the NW section. I am pretty sure I had got the process mucked up when I first tried to set it up for the new phone.
Good luck!
PS - when I tried f-50 for my initial setup, the difference between trans and coolant in the morning was quite substantial, can't remember the details, that was a couple of years ago. I put it down to being possibly due to the difference between diesel and petrol engines electronics (mine is a V6), so I experimented with varying the number and settled on 40 which gave me the most reliable equivalence when cold.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Last edited by gaz1; 26-08-19 at 07:56 PM.