Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 21-08-19
Valued Member

My drive belts were showing signs or hardening and were a bit noisy (not squealing mind you).

I replaced them (x3) with Optibelt brand and the pulley with Nuline brand from my local Sprint Auto Parts store.

They are as quiet as a mouse now. Just thought I'd mention it as an alternative to Gates.
Old 21-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jp_ View Post
My drive belts were showing signs or hardening and were a bit noisy (not squealing mind you).

I replaced them (x3) with Optibelt brand and the pulley with Nuline brand from my local Sprint Auto Parts store.

They are as quiet as a mouse now. Just thought I'd mention it as an alternative to Gates.
I might throw the old belts back on to see if I can distinguish if noise is from the new belts. There was noise with the old ones but far worse with new belts.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 23-08-19
Valued Member

So in the end found out it's just the belts making the noise.
Fitted the old belts and tensioned up and have no noise. The old belts are genuine mm belts with smooth inner rather than grooved. Is there an aftermarket belt that has smooth inner.?

For the moment I've left the old ones on as was going away and didn't have time to swap over and try another set of new belts. I have however taken new belts with me just in case.

Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 23-08-19
Valued Member

Have Gates grooved belts on for a number of years and Ks with no drama.
Old 23-08-19

First time poster here,,,
You do realise that the alternator belts need to be a "matched pair"
Cheers
Old 23-08-19
Valued Member

Yep. I'm sure 99.9% here know that.
Old 23-08-19
Valued Member

Yeah, but you'll find they don't always supply you a matched pair - I've had that happen more than once.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 23-08-19
Valued Member

Yes the new ones were a matched pair.
Perhaps I just hadn't had them tensioned up enough, but the noise threw me a little as sounded more like bearing noise at the time. Will try again with new ones once I have a chance.

Old 24-08-19

Default Belts

Hey mate, not sure what the general consensus is on dayco belts but I had squeal and replaced all 3 with dayco and a.c. pulley fitted and tightened no squeal, no further adjustments and been on for a month now got all 3 belts from ebay for $35
Old 04-09-19

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents - I was surprised at how tight I had to make the belts for them to stop screeching on my NT. Seemed a bit over-tight to me based on other cars I've serviced, but seemed to need it on the pajero. Been 3 months now with no problems.