Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 09-08-19

Default Well documented gear box/ drive train vibration

Hi All,

Recently purchases an 07 Pajero. Ex Japan in fantastic condition. It is a 3.8 petrol.

It has the vibration at 2100 - 2400 rpm. Some great advice and info on this forum. I have removed the dampener block that sits behind the transmission, replaced the cross member bushes, and replaced the engine mount that is fitted to the cross member.

It has got better (my wife doesnt notice it), but I do, especially sitting at 100km on the motorway.

It seems like a lot of effort has gone into this problem. What is the outcome for people? Give up and just deal with it? Sell the truck and get another? Or is there something else to do now to deal to that final bit of vibration?

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Apart from that, great vehicle. Just need to sort out the factory stereo now too which looks like it needs a special adapter.

Thanks
Nathan
Old 09-08-19
Valued Member

What is the harmonic balancer pulley on the crankshaft like? The rubber in the pulley may be stuffed. Is the vibration engine speed related (2100 - 2499 R/min) or is it at all road speeds in different gears. I am not sure how you check the balancer pulley, but if you can isolate it to road speed or engine speed this may give you some guidance.

If it is engine speed related, you may be getting misfire in one or more cylinders at the speed range. Check the HT leads by opening the bonnet in total darkness and running the engine. If there are problems wit the HT leads you will see the leads glowing in the dark.
Old 16-08-19

Hey Nathan,
can't help on the vibration.
As for the factory stereo you can get a cd with software to change the stereo to English.
I kept mine & loaded up the gps with nz maps, although not as good as using google maps on your phone.
let me know if you want more details for the English swap
cheers
Old 16-08-19
Valued Member

You say you changed the cross member bushes and mount that sits on the cross member. There are 2 engine mounts also and these are the ones that normally fail causing vibration as documented in this forum. Pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190816-204413_Samsung Internet.jpg (84.0 KB, 42 views)

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 16-08-19
Valued Member

Is the vibration there in 2H and 4H?

Have you greased the universals on the propshaft(s)?
2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
Old 19-08-19

Thanks heaps. OK, I'll have a go of the engine mounts next. Hopefully that will sort it.
Old 19-08-19

And to answer the question the vibration is present in neutral, 2H and 4H. When the revs get to 2100rpm there is a vibration / resonance - like a hum and then fades at about 2400rpm.

Adding slight pressure to the gear box under the car with a jack eliminates all vibration, so it does point to the engine / gear box not being secured properly.

I should probably change the title to remove the drive train from it.
Old 21-08-19

I also have some vibration somewhere around 2500rpm. It's not too bad, but it gets amplified by one of my underbody protection plates. Anyway.. doing some stuff under the car I noticed the bushes on the attached photo are loose - are these the ones you replaced?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (73.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 21-08-19

My vibration completely disappeared after removing dampner. It would even vibrate when car wasn't in motion so I'm sure it wasn't bush/mount related.
Old 21-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by benckj View Post
My vibration completely disappeared after removing dampner. It would even vibrate when car wasn't in motion so I'm sure it wasn't bush/mount related.
Can you show me somewhere which dampener it is?

My vibration depends on the engine load, so I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with exhaust also.