Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 19-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Back here in Oz (and probably the rest of the world), there is a lot pf media coverage about the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. To loosely quote Mission control after they landed, "There's bunch of guys here who have been turning blue, but are now breathing".

Well, with you, it is rather similar - there's a lot of people here who are following your travels with baited breath, and who gasped when you announced the broken spring. Not that we can do much, but be assured everyone here is keenly following your moves. Hope this setback doesn't muck up your future border crossings, or delay your ultimate arrival at the end of your trip.
I knew from the outset that something like this would occur at some point and I'd be running around trying to find a solution. This just goes with the territory on a trip like this really. It's a pretty long 4wd trip! Shouldn't have been the springs though. Of course, there may yet be a further episode like this still coming. I have taken as many precautions as it's possible to take though.
2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 23-07-19
Valued Member

Default Springs arrived

I've got to hand it to DHL, they're very good. Collected from Brisbane on Friday, the springs are in my hands today (Tues). The place I'm staying reckons they have a floor jack around somewhere, so tomorrow I hope to get on with it. I'm also removing the front struts to replace the lower bushes, as they are stuffed. I know these take a hammering and am carrying spare bushes.

The Mongolian Consulate in NZ has been trying to assist us with the overstaying our visas situation and they kindly wrote a letter to Mongolian Immigration asking them to extend our visas in the circumstances. This was however declined. I've been informed today there are no circumstances in which overstaying is permitted. So the bad news is that we will be fined, but the good news is that the fine is not very much at all.

This situation has however really brought home just how lucky we are to be having this issue in Mongolia, not in our previous country (Russia) or the next one (Kazakhstan). I have read of a case of an overland adventure biker delayed in Russia in circumstances similar to ours being threatened with considerable prison time. It seemed so excessive I struggled to believe it. Apparently in Kazakhstan until recently the penalty was either a not so small fine, or 3 weeks in prison, though I think some of these countries are beginning to ease up a bit in the interests of appearing more tourist friendly. This is all something international 4wd explorers would need to bear in mind, as vehicle trouble goes with the territory and can never be completely ruled out.
2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 23-07-19
Resident

That is good service!

Bad news about the fine, but at least "not very much" is better than something substantial.

Send an invoice for the fine + the DHL freight to Tough Dog. In this case, their "Tough" wasn't enough. It may not be their fault that the spring broke, but they should at least stand behind their name, and provide better support to their customers.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 24-07-19

Happy to hear your getting the problem sorted. Will you need to alter your intended course to edit Mongolia in time?
Old 24-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benckj View Post
Happy to hear your getting the problem sorted. Will you need to alter your intended course to edit Mongolia in time?
Fortunately not. When the car is fixed I am to return to Immigration to pay the fine. They will then permit us 10 days to exit Mongolia, which is quite generous and should give us time to exit in the far north west. If they were to force us to exit to the north then it would be a lot more mileage and we'd see less of interest. So looks like we'll still get to see more of Mongolia on the way out West.
Old 24-07-19

Well that's good news, all the same. Just need to get truck back together and hit the trail. From looking at your route you still have a few miles to tackle (maybe 1/2 way through).
Old 25-07-19
Valued Member

Had a big day doing some work on the Pajero today. I always carry plenty of tools and just needed a trolley jack to install the new EHD springs, which I borrowed from a local mechanic. I also removed the front struts and took them to a workshop with a press to have new lower bushes installed. I had these bushes in my parts box, because I know from experience these need replacing every couple of years at the most. The struts consist of Koni RAID shocks with Lovells EHD coils and this is a superb combination, other than the aforementioned tendency for the lower bushes to wear early. Even when new the Koni lower bushes didn't last long. I couldn't get those in NZ so tried a couple of different types of bushes, none of which lasted long at all, before discovering that control arm bushes from a Nissan X-Trail fit perfectly if you take an angle grinder to shorten the length of the crush tube.

So now I have true EHD coils front and rear, and it feels brilliant. Definitely not over-sprung for a full touring weight Pajero and not at all harsh - just right, and with an appropriate amount of lift.

Only issue still to resolve is that I discovered a rear lower inner control arm bush was stuffed. I don't have that in my parts box and doubt I'll find it on the shelf in Mongolia easily, if at all. But I should find it in Russia or Kazakhstan easily enough.

We plan to head West from Ulaanbaatar on the weekend - we have most of Mongolia to cross and will be permitted 10 days to do it by the Immigration Police. It's very important that we do not fail to achieve that. Not only because there would be serious repercussions on the Mongolian side, but also because I've timed our Russian transit visas to start then. Russia generally only allows you just enough time to drive through with nothing to spare, and visas are strictly date specific. I was charged $600 for those transit visas yesterday!

Last edited by kiwi1973; 25-07-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 25-07-19

Ouch! Visa $$ is an essential part of the budget however one canít help to think of all those others things the money could be spent on. Puts a lot of pressure on the itinerary timing and reliable transport. Happy trails ahead.
Old 25-07-19
Valued Member

Hi Aaron,

Glad you are happy with the KCRR-35EHD, it was a bit of a risk recommending these without knowing your rear axle weight.

Were your airbags ok and if so what pressures are you now using?

Safe travels and keep the video's, photo's and story coming!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 26-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Hi Aaron,

Glad you are happy with the KCRR-35EHD, it was a bit of a risk recommending these without knowing your rear axle weight.

Were your airbags ok and if so what pressures are you now using?

Safe travels and keep the video's, photo's and story coming!

OJ.
The airbags are ok. I discovered that the leak was caused by a hole in the tubing just before where it goes onto the barb. It would be easy to cut it back and reattach, but I don't have any of the little clamps/crimps. How would some wire twisted tightly around it with pliers go? I did the best temp repair I could to the tube, mindful that this side has to come out again when I replace the stuffed inner lower control arm bush soon. I actually also need new spring seats really.

I've not inflated the airbags, so my initial impressions are of the springs alone. I haven't really given them a full test yet - just been around the block a couple of times, but some of the roads here resemble a 4wd track anywhere else, so it's still a test. It may be that I don't really need the bags at all now, or if I do then at low pressure. I'll see for now how it goes with just the springs.