• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rado
    • Sep 2011
    • Manchester

Heeelp please....Right rear brake scrubbing

Good day to all. Had all discs and pads changed and after some time noticed sqeaky sound from the right rear wheel on take off. The disc was also significantly hotter than all other discs (not red hot, but hot). At first I had the handbrake checked and all moving parts on the caliper cleaned and lubricated. Still squeaking and having hot disc. Then the caliper was refurbished and brake fluid changed. Still the same. The discs was checked if it's true, all is well. Even swapped the rear discs to see if the same side will be scrubbing. Tomorrow the car is going to the workshop again to have the brake hose changed. Any other ideas what might be wrong? Every time it was tested after repair and was told "it's fine now", every time I took it for a tesdrive the disc was hot. For some reason pads don't come completely released. This is going on for the past few months, it'll be open for the fifth time and it drives me completely nuts. Thanks for all your input.
    Last edited by Rado; 13-05-19, 10:57 PM.
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

Must be the caliper. I'd suggest a caliper rebuild.
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Rado
      • Sep 2011
      • Manchester

I asked the mechanic to go step by step, asked him even to damp the caliper and replace it so he rebuilded it. Still the same. He said he went for a drive and all was well, I took the car for a spin when collecting it and came back with hot disc. I can hear the light squeaky sound when at steady speed. Even he is doing always a good job, pretty pissed this time as he had the car for two weeks, had to replace the faulty transfer box switch, change the oil and sort out the rear brake. All was done except the brake is still causing me a headache.

Comment

• underdog
        • Jan 2015
        • Campbelltown, NSW.

If you've already had the calper rebuilt (and you trust your mechanic), then it has to be either a pressure relief problem (ie. brake line kinks) or an alignment issue. Rears should be a lot simpler as they're only a single piston caliper, but this means if you have any alignment issues, it's slightly harder to resolve.
        2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
        Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• Rado
          • Sep 2011
          • Manchester

Originally posted by underdog View Post
          If you've already had the calper rebuilt (and you trust your mechanic), then it has to be either a pressure relief problem (ie. brake line kinks) or an alignment issue. Rears should be a lot simpler as they're only a single piston caliper, but this means if you have any alignment issues, it's slightly harder to resolve.
          Yes, I trust my mechanic (when I've had the discs swapped last week it was visible there were new parts on the calipper). The piston also moves fine, could press it in with hands.
          As you said, it's either pressure or alignment problem. When it comes to pressure it can be the brake hose or as a last resort maybe the valve in the ABS module.
          But have no idea what could be wrong with alignment. As you said, the rear is pretty simple. Was even thinking if the wheel bearing doesn't have a tiny bit of play making the wheel wobble a bit. But wouldn't a bearing on it's way make a noise when driving?

Comment

• Rado
            • Sep 2011
            • Manchester

Just a quick update. It turned out it was the caliper. Even it was rebuilded, after fitting a new one all is well. At least that's what I've been told (didn't have a chance to test drive it). If still something wrong with it, then I don't know, better not to think about it.

Comment

• Hill
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Adelaide

Rado
              Keep us posted.
              If not caliper check bearing.
              Hill
              200 Series
              AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• DaveH
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • sydney

I hope it was the brake caliper but I was going to suggest to look at the hand brake. Remember the rear has 2 sets of brakes ie the discs and the shoes on in inside of the disk that are just by the hand brake. If the hand brake got miss adjusted and was engaged this would cause overheating too.
                2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X