Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 19-09-18

Default Rear coil spring insulators

Hello all

I have just replaced my rear rear springs on the NS Pajero after one broke!!! I have done a straight swop (King Springs). I noticed that the lower insulators were in a pretty bad state but pressed ahead in any case. I am now getting the occasional "clunk" from the rear end and I was wondering whether I should have replaced the flogged out insulators? I am assuming they prevent metal to metal contact, but some people say they only prevent road noise and are not essential. Has anyone had the same issues?

I broke the spring when I jacked up the car off the rear diff support to replace the back breaks - I assumed as they had done over 200,000 kms I should not have been surprised that they broke!! In replacing the springs I followed the various instructions posted on the forum, which was great. Other than perhaps replacing the rear insulators, is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Kind regards, Paul
Old 19-09-18
Valued Member

Is the clunk happening when driving along over bumps, potholes etc. If so it may well be the insulators......also what was the condition of the upper insulators. They stop metal on metal contact and not just road noise.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 19-09-18
Valued Member

With a body on chassis construction like the Challenger there are no coil insulators top or bottom on the rear coils but on the Monocoque constructed Pajero there are coils insulators installed top and bottom. Top insulators are pretty robust but the bottom insulators wear out very quickly, genuine MM rubber insulators last the longest and to date we have not been able to find a more durable alternative.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 19-09-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
With a body on chassis construction like the Challenger there are no coil insulators top or bottom on the rear coils but on the Monocoque constructed Pajero there are coils insulators installed top and bottom. Top insulators are pretty robust but the bottom insulators wear out very quickly, genuine MM rubber insulators last the longest and to date we have not been able to find a more durable alternative.

OJ.
Not sure about that OJ, I have not had any issues since changing to the Polytuff polyurethane lower isolators with the EHD springs.
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 MT51s, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, torque converter lockup, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
Old 19-09-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted32 View Post
Not sure about that OJ, I have not had any issues since changing to the Polytuff polyurethane lower isolators with the EHD springs.
Well you kept that a secret, problem is it has been a long time since we have had a catch up or trip together. NJswb, M&M and Pajero 12 all need new bottom coil rubbers so it looks like some more suspension working bee(r)s!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
Old 19-09-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Well you kept that a secret, problem is it has been a long time since we have had a catch up or trip together. NJswb, M&M and Pajero 12 all need new bottom coil rubbers so it looks like some more suspension working bee(r)s!

OJ.
Add me to the list needing new bottom coil insulators!

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 19-09-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopaj View Post
Add me to the list needing new bottom coil insulators!
That would be a big day, 8 rear coils lower spring pads to change in a single day, might need to be another pizza and beer suspension day! 3 rear suspension is our current record!

OJ.
Old 20-09-18

...thanks all for the advice - I didn't check the condition of the upper insulators but I have bitten the bullet and ordered upper and lower replacements. This will be my third set of insulators - not bad for a vehicle that has done 330,000kms and has done five 'tours of duty' to the Cape!!!

I ordered the replacement insulators from Kieron at bushskinz4x4.

Kind regards, Paul
Old 22-10-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
...thanks all for the advice - I didn't check the condition of the upper insulators but I have bitten the bullet and ordered upper and lower replacements. This will be my third set of insulators - not bad for a vehicle that has done 330,000kms and has done five 'tours of duty' to the Cape!!!

I ordered the replacement insulators from Kieron at bushskinz4x4.

Kind regards, Paul
On my NH l used some hose l split down the middle put on spring worked perfect cheap alternative though on my NW get proper insulators
Old 03-12-18

A few years ago now i replaced originals with the Bilstein Lovells setup in MD. Ever since the rear top of springs have squeeked like mad over speed humps etc. I found the springs are wider in the top coil to that of the housing and therefore rubbing on the outer edge of the springs and nothing to do with the top insulators that are in good nick.......
Worth a look.
2007 VRX DID Auto Champagne; MM Bull bar; 100w HID Spotties; SPV Mod; Cooper ST Maxx 265/65/18's; Prodigy P2 controller; full roof racks; diff and trans breathers. B&L S/D lift kit; polyairs; internal LED's; Bushskinz X4 bash plates; dual battery kit; waeco cfx 40; Auto valve kit upgrade
Lots to come in time ;