Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 25-05-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccask View Post
Its possible, but both cars run a PCM covering engine and gbox so i think they are inextricably linked. Using the manual paj box might be a good option instead.
What breaks on them?
Old 27-05-18

Got the paj in the shed today and with help.from a couple of mates we pulled the transfer off to see what's between that and gbox...and have a general look around underneath. Crazy luck... the NS transfer has the same input spline as the NH auto transfer! So I'll be able to use the NS transfer and mate up the LS1 and 4L60e. Nice! Also generally lots of room under there compared to NH..no chassis rails helps!
Pics of transfer face here, template for adaptor plate and paj in surgery.
Paj going in tomorrow for new airbags and indicator controls recalls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180527_114559.jpg (190.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20180527_122940.jpg (190.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 20180527_133103.jpg (189.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 28-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Got the paj in the shed today and with help.from a couple of mates we pulled the transfer off to see what's between that and gbox...and have a general look around underneath. Crazy luck... the NS transfer has the same input spline as the NH auto transfer! So I'll be able to use the NS transfer and mate up the LS1 and 4L60e. Nice! Also generally lots of room under there compared to NH..no chassis rails helps!
Pics of transfer face here, template for adaptor plate and paj in surgery.
Paj going in tomorrow for new airbags and indicator controls recalls
Simon, you may be better off sticking with the NH transfer case, there are some examples on this forum of Gen 4 transfer cases failing.
Old 29-05-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
Simon, you may be better off sticking with the NH transfer case, there are some examples on this forum of Gen 4 transfer cases failing.
What are the differences between Gen 2, 3, 4 transfer cases though?

From my limited research, mainly around Gen 2.5 manual transfer cases and Gen 3 manual cases I was left with the impression the only differences were electronic activation of the transfer case in place of mechanical linkages.

I have assumed the failures in the Gen 4 transfer cases are more due to the huge increase in torque from the CRD engine compared to the older super select cases, and more spirited driving.

I will have to have another look under my NX and NJ to compare external differences. I have assumed they are identical enough that the lower low range gears available for the Gen 2 and 3 manual transfer cases will fit in the Gen 4.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 29-05-18
Valued Member

Not sure what the differences are but you could be right in that is is a torque problem given that the NT diesel was upgraded to 440nm. However AFAIK Simon has never had a problem either with the NH auto case that he is using behind the LS motor, so who knows?
Old 30-05-18

Designed the adaptor plate last night base don the measurements we did on Sunday. I reckon it'll work out pretty sweet made from 40mm ali plate. The front half with 6 bolt pattern is from Advance Adaptors (part of 50-0430 kit) and then the rear half with the crazy bolt pattern is the part that needs to be made. It should result in the bell-housing face and transfer in the original Pajero position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adaptor Front View.jpg (41.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Adaptor Rear View.jpg (53.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 30-05-18
Valued Member

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=61332

Simon, another blown Gen 4 transfer case , might be better to stick with the one you have , at least its proven!.
Old 30-05-18

Hrmmm, damn hey!? I'm still leaning towards kerping the ns transfer... mainly for the vehicle speed sensor, no driveshaft mods, no console or electrics mods. I guess I'll store the nh one somewhere as a fallback plan.
Old 30-05-18

Spoke to the engineer (Terry Southam) Jake and i used for our NH and NL conversions today. We spoke through the details and he reckons no real dramas. Won't matter that the engine predates the car over those years as they have the same emissions tech and requirements. Will need to sort out the ASC tho, which could be a challenge.
Old 02-06-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Spoke to the engineer (Terry Southam) Jake and i used for our NH and NL conversions today. We spoke through the details and he reckons no real dramas. Won't matter that the engine predates the car over those years as they have the same emissions tech and requirements. Will need to sort out the ASC tho, which could be a challenge.
I'm sure you are up to it mate! That was good news to hear