• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1989pajero
    • Mar 2016
    • Brandon Mississippi

Import rear disc conversion

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to convert the rear disc brakes on the import version to a more common setup. The first gen montero only had rear drums here in the US but the gen 2 had rear disc. It would be nice if this was an option. I am sure there would be some headache involved in converting to a gen 2. just wondering if anyone has tried it.
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

Hi mate,
    My import has had rear disc to drum change. Not sure how they went about it maybe the whole axle. If you only want to do it because parts are hard to find, grab your vin number and use this website:

MegaZip is #1 source of new genuine OEM parts at discounted warehouse prices for main auto, powersports, moto, marine brands. Detailed diagrams & catalogues. Fast worldwide shipping to your door. Easy to find parts & order online. Shop now!

Its is awesome for all genuine mitsu part numbers
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• 1989pajero
      • Mar 2016
      • Brandon Mississippi

Thanks for the info. i found brake pads on that site but they are $200 for the rear set! At least they have them right? milners would be cheaper for me but still high for brake pads. Good thing I dont need them right away. I will keep looking into this and will update if i come up with anything. I also found partsouq.com seems to have a good selection of pajero parts just not rear brake pads.

Comment

• TomW
        • Mar 2017
        • Melbourne

I have spent quite a bit of time researching the possibility of swapping disc brakes into the rear of my Gen 1.

Comparing a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 rear end it should be a direct swap of the whole rear end from the Gen 2 everything is bolt up, the only snag at this point is that the Gen 2 has a rear brake bias valve which is spring loaded and applies the brakes proportionally to the load. The Gen 1 does not have this so something would need to be fabricated, to further complicate things my Gen 1 is also lifted by 2 inches so the valve would need to be located appropriately to compensate for the lift.

1989pajero in your case, given you already have rear discs, it may be possibly to simply swap the rear calipers (or even an entire rear end) from a Gen 2 which would give you a much more common setup?. Out of interest do you know if your import Gen 1 has the brake bias valve?

The bias valve should look something like this and connects to the chassis and rear axle with a spring arrangement:

?

Comment

• 1989pajero
          • Mar 2016
          • Brandon Mississippi

Thanks for the response TomW. My pajero does not have the bias valve you mentioned. I was hoping it would be as simple as changing the calipers and discs. I am trying to aquire a set of gen 2 calipers to measure and compare to the gen 1. I have seen drum to caliper conversion kits for older land cruisers over here that were a piece of 10mm steel plate with 4 holes drilled, 2 to match the axle and 2 to match the caliper. Maybe not the best but perhaps that could be a solution

Comment

• Nathan|NG|
            • Oct 2016
            • Brisbane

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 calipers are different. So are the axles. You need to swap the complete axle or start fab'ing if you want Gen 2 calipers.

And the Gen 1 has a proportioning valve. Just not a load sensing version like the Gen 2.
            Last edited by Nathan|NG|; 19-08-17, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• Konfused Pete
              • Sep 2016
              • Brisbane

as per a very good thread on here about refurbishing the rear import brakes, the correct pads you need are RDX2058SM This is an RDA pad. Try contacting Empowered Auto Parts. they do RDA / EBC and are very well priced. you might be pleasantly surprised. I'm going to be doing the same soon, so if you do get a price from them, be sure to report back and share it.

Comment

• MMC89TD2.5
                • Apr 2017
                • Newcastle, NSW

hey what about the front discs, calipers & pads? I read the gen1's swap for the gen2 twin calipers.. How about the discs?
                off topic but meh

Comment

• Jeffrey
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Pinjarra WA

Rear end

Hi, I did look into it when I lived in Bundaberg but was warned by a bloke at the wreckers to do a lot of measuring as the tail shaft might need to be reworked.Instead I worked on re-doing the rear brakes that come with the car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X