• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shopping Trolley
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Brisbane

GVM and Payload

I've just been reading up on GVM and payload in Unsealed 4x4 Issue 023. A very interesting article which made me think of the times I could have been over the GVM simply by having people in my car. I am a bit pissed that they had a table of popular 4x4s with their GVM and payload but managed to miss the class leading (and still quite popular) Mitsubishi Pajero with a payload of 775kg. WTF?
    2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Magazines just dont lime talking about Pajero's. They are a great veichle.
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Gus
      Administrator
      • Mar 2008
      • Traralgon. Vic

Funnily enough I was just looking at that.. Crazy the Paj isn't mentioned agree.

Was handy for me as they used a VX diesel cruiser for an example & looking at it I'll be fine without upgrading the GVM.. my off Road van is only 2 ton fully loaded & most stuff when travelling will be in that..

Gus.
      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• pajeromack
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • NSW

Makes you wonder if you've ever accidently exceeded the GVM. Hard to tell without a weigh bridge.

A lot of these magazines don't tend to look past the usual suspects. The manual Challenger has a payload of 720kg.

Don't forget that the payload has to comply with the axle limits. Also when towing the gross combination mass also comes into play.

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Agree a lot would be surprised how close they are.. Understand re towing in my case I'll be fine ..
          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Paj People 2009
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi,

Yup, it gets chewed up pretty easily. Gotta also check your axle weights and GCM (Gross Combined Mass) if towing.

With accessories, suspect most of us would be over at times.

With vans (and some cars, like the Landcruiser) you can get a GVM increase and an ATM increase.

I got mine (ATM) upgraded on the new Lotus from 3060kg to 3300kg before it was registered and there is no cost. Lotus sent a covering letter with a new VIN plate already engraved.

Will never use the extra payload, but good to have!

Cheers,
            Sally
            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Brisbane

My dad got the GVM upgrade on his new BT50. His reason "who comes back from the Barossa Valley empty handed".
              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Kumabear
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2013
                • Sydney, Macarther Region

GVM Laws NSW , People not in the car

In NSW what is the actual letter of the law regarding GVM and legal seating capacity

I have been told by a suspension place that you must take into account 79kg per available passenger seat for that passenger and their luggage even if the seats are empty.

This would mean that my car which is 2510kg with me in it would actually need to account for the additional weight of 4 (5 seat model) other people even tho they are not in the car. This would effectively make the weight of my car 2826KG as far as the law is concerned, which drastically eats into my payload and if true a 7 seater would be even worse...

Is this information actually correct, it seems outrageously nanny state and illogical.

It would lead to a situation where if i put 250kg of luggage in my car with me in it I would in reality weigh 2710Kg and be well under GVM

But the law would say that I was 3076Kg and 46KG over GVM.

Has anyone got a link to the actual legislation or been through this before?
                2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Charging drivers with what they might do?

I doubt it.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I think the confusion originates from dual cab utes which are advertised as a 1 ton payload and people do not understand that your 1 ton payload includes all passengers and gear in the cabin and not just in the ute tub.
                    Further confusion when the 1 ton ute can tow 3500kgs, people do not realise that the towball weight is also counted as payload.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kumabear
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Sydney, Macarther Region

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      I think the confusion originates from dual cab utes which are advertised as a 1 ton payload and people do not understand that your 1 ton payload includes all passengers and gear in the cabin and not just in the ute tub.
                      Further confusion when the 1 ton ute can tow 3500kgs, people do not realise that the towball weight is also counted as payload.

OJ.
                      Yeah but I've been told I need to count passengers who "ARE NOT IN THE CAR" I'm being told I need to account for how many people the car is licensed to seat and that I must allocate 79kg each for them regardless of if they are in the car or not and that this number comes off of my payload.
                      2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Kumabear View Post
                        Yeah but I've been told I need to count passengers who "ARE NOT IN THE CAR" I'm being told I need to account for how many people the car is licensed to seat and that I must allocate 79kg each for them regardless of if they are in the car or not and that this number comes off of my payload.
                        You are being told the wrong information!

Here is a detailed explanation;

OJ.
                        Last edited by old Jack; 14-11-17, 04:44 PM.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dhula
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • South of Perth

So many questions:
                          Were do they get 79Kg from
                          Why isn't it 80Kg, that would make it easy to add up at least
                          Who in the world weighs in at 79Kg when holding luggage for a day or two
                          What happens if it's raining, does the weight of each potential person increase due to them potentially having wet hair and weighing more.

Silly rule IMO
                          Last edited by dhula; 14-11-17, 09:19 PM.
                          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Flying
                            • Jul 2016
                            • Sydney

Get them to split the suspension bill 5 ways, they must charge each passenger a fifth of the bill, regardless if they exist or not...
                            White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X