Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 15-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I noticed it after I returned home with a stain on my pants
I mustíve opened the wrong forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post

Hahahaha....and what forum would that be?

The melting synthetic material on the lever can happen to other uses of the material as well. I,ve had gadgets with the rubber type material "melt" for no apparent reason. A phone protector I had virtually "melted" and was very sticky. Same as some parts on a motorcycle. Age? Possible oxidation?

Maybe shape a knob out of plastic/wood and get a heat shrink to hold it in place. Even a bit of stainless steel pop rivetted/araldited in place...

Let us know how you fixed it..
Old 15-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:

Think I was on that forum last night!

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 15-08-19
Valued Member

The handle is not made of rubber. It is made of "soft feel" plastic.
The chemical composition of plastics is very complex and as plastics age they all deteriorate differently.
Some plastics become hard and brittle and other soft and gooey, it is to do with the migration, leaching and loss of the plastisers, plastisers are additives that determine some of the physical properties of the plastic, combined with physical and chemical "damage" from use or even not being used.

For more information;

http://plastiquarian.com/?page_id=14333

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 15-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Hahahaha....and what forum would that be?

The melting synthetic material on the lever can happen to other uses of the material as well. I,ve had gadgets with the rubber type material "melt" for no apparent reason. A phone protector I had virtually "melted" and was very sticky. Same as some parts on a motorcycle. Age? Possible oxidation?

Maybe shape a knob out of plastic/wood and get a heat shrink to hold it in place. Even a bit of stainless steel pop rivetted/araldited in place...

Let us know how you fixed it..
Thanks for the answer, can anyone confirm that the frame of the handle is made of metal, so I can only remove the melted plastic and fill it again with other material? Thanks again for your help.
Old 15-08-19
Valued Member

Hey mate my 2c is if itís a big issue for you, youíd be able to buy the rubber part for a few bucks probably maybe $10, Iíve bought quite a few plastic / rubber parts like this from my local MMC dealer for both my NP and NX and they have all been reasonably priced.

Old 15-08-19

Quote:
Hey mate my 2c is if itís a big issue for you, youíd be able to buy the rubber part for a few bucks probably maybe $10, Iíve bought quite a few plastic / rubber parts like this from my local MMC dealer for both my NP and NX and they have all been reasonably priced.

Ok, so you confirm that the plastic/rubber melted it's not structural. I will do so, thanks for the help!
Old 16-08-19
Resident

Certain insect repellents and sun screens can have a similar effect on some plastics. I wonder if hand moisturisers and / or this modem obsession with hand sanitisers might also be a factor?

Does a wife / partner also drive the vehicle? Does the steering column height get regularly adjusted between drivers?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 16-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Certain insect repellents and sun screens can have a similar effect on some plastics. I wonder if hand moisturisers and / or this modem obsession with hand sanitisers might also be a factor?

Does a wife / partner also drive the vehicle? Does the steering column height get regularly adjusted between drivers?
No Sir, I'm the only driver and and I do not think I've adjusted the steering wheel height over years of use of the Pajero.
Old 16-08-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Ok, so you confirm that the plastic/rubber melted it's not structural. I will do so, thanks for the help!
No sorry mate, I donít know, I tried looking at the parts diagram and can see the lever but it doesnít show a part number so maybe you canít. Have a chat with Mitsubishi parts dealer with your VIN and ask them to look.