Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 24-09-17

Id be looking at your CAT. I cant think why a clogged up intake manifold would cause only exhaust smells and nothing else . have you noticed anything else? like loss of power, higher fuel consumption or excess smoke out the exhaust?

If its going to cost $2000 and no guarantee of fixing it , i would be looking at a new exhaust with hi flow cat and dpf delete for less than $1000.
2007 NS Pajero VRX, Diesel, 50mm lift + 30mm sub-frame lift, 265 70 r18 falkens at3, duel batteries, Digital egt & boost gauges, CB, Offroad nav unit, Arb bullbar+spotlights+led bar+warn 9500lb winch, Stainless steel bash plates, full length roof rack+led lights+awning, rear bash bar, Long range tank, polyair bags, on board air compressor, rear shelves and fridge slide, 3 inch exhaust, solid flywheel.
Old 25-09-17

Thanks for replies - no other symptoms at all. No loss of power, smoke or difference in fuel consumption. Car runs fine, tows horse float or boat regularly and no difference when towing. No difference with SPV mod either plugged in or not - still an excessive smell. I'm continuing to research but not finding any definate solutions.
Old 06-09-19

Hi there
Just wondering if you ever found a solution to stop the smelly fumes. We have an NT with exactly the same problem. We had the Inlet Manifold cleaned and it did improve the fumes slightly however after 1 month the fumes were back stronger than ever.
We have had this issue for roughly 2 years. We donít use the car as much anymore and when we do we nearly get knocked over from the fumes.
The car doesnít miss a beat except for the fumes. Had the car since new and also regularly serviced.
Old 06-09-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brejen View Post
Hi there
Just wondering if you ever found a solution to stop the smelly fumes. We have an NT with exactly the same problem. We had the Inlet Manifold cleaned and it did improve the fumes slightly however after 1 month the fumes were back stronger than ever.
We have had this issue for roughly 2 years. We donít use the car as much anymore and when we do we nearly get knocked over from the fumes.
The car doesnít miss a beat except for the fumes. Had the car since new and also regularly serviced.
How many kms on the car & has it been regularly serviced per the book?

Are the fumes inside or outside the car?

Have you tried different brands of fuel, including premium diesel?

Have you tried a good quality injector cleaner?

When was the air filter last changed & the MAF sensor cleaned (need to be careful doing this to avoid damage)?
Old 06-09-19
Valued Member

Do you smell the exhaust inside the vehicle or just outside? If you get it inside, how are you running the cabin ventilation system? If you run on recycle and have a poor door seal at the rear, you can get bad smells (and Carbon Monoxide) into the car. I always run with the cabin ventilation set to fresh (outside) air to avoid any possibility of being gassed b the fumes.

As far as I ca see, there is no reason that a blocked intake manifold would cause extra smells at the exhaust. Maybe when they talk of the intake manifold, they mean the EGR valve?
Old 07-09-19

Still no success, the fume fault is intermittent but appears worse during the colder months. Fumes are definitely on the outside only, car is now at 310k but has been serviced every 10k since new. Iím keeping the car until it stops so can put up with the occasional fumes at the moment as otherwise the car drives perfectly.
Old 07-09-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear8131 View Post
Still no success, the fume fault is intermittent but appears worse during the colder months. Fumes are definitely on the outside only, car is now at 310k but has been serviced every 10k since new. Iím keeping the car until it stops so can put up with the occasional fumes at the moment as otherwise the car drives perfectly.
I notice you live in a very cold area & your car has a early model DPF.

Does the car get a good long run to get properly hot for over 30 minutes, at least every few hundred kms? The DPFs appear to need this to successfully complete their "burn".

Check the engine oil level regularly to ensure it doesn't become overfull due to failed DPF burn cycles (the car injects extra diesel when trying to complete a burn & repeated burn failures cause diesel to build up in the sump oil).

Also check your mechanic is using the correct specification "low ash" oil, as the wrong oil can cause the DPF to become clogged & eventually fail.

During & just after a burn, it will smell quite hot & may have a different odor - I wonder if that is what you are noticing?