Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 04-11-17
Valued Member

A lot has been said about not torqueing up the axle nut when the car is on the ground. I can see why this would be the case with suspension arm bushings etc, because that could set them with a pre-load on the rubber components. However, I cannot see what effect this would have on the axle nut, unless the axle (and hence the wheel bearing pre-load) was very sloppy before tightening it. I actually tightened my axle nuts with the car on the ground. SO far, so good - no failures. Maybe it will happen sooner rather than later?
Old 06-12-17
Valued Member

I checked the nut a few weeks ago, was tight tight tight, and now it's started making a clunk from the left rear on takeoff. Will check it again.
Old 24-01-18
Valued Member

I haven't got around to checking it yet, but it's still making a slight thunk on takeoff, from the L rear side. I didn't budge that nut at all!
Old 27-01-18

Havenít read all of the thread but just adding my experience with a 10yo NS I have had for a year now. Had the horrrendous double clunking.

I thought the fibreglass prop shaft was damaged as I got a lot of noise when rotating it by hand. Bought a new one. Universal joints at both ends worn. After installation, no significant improvement in noise but it probably needed replace,ent anyway.The prop shaft seems to act like a bell, amplified the noise of the worn CV joints at each end. Not sure If I could have just repaired the CVs.

Anyway, LH wheel nut is a problem. I solved the problem of the nut coming loose by using thread locking compound. Have been driving knock-free for 4 months.

Cheers.
2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1Ē suspension, Dueller 697 17Ē tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, removable cargo cage with fridge slide and battery box, front and rear Anderson sockets, Matson BT battery monitor on starter, TP-13 TPMS.
Old 15-01-19

i install all new bushing in the rear of mine hoping this would takeaway the on off throttle thub,but nope still there i even had it happen yesterday as a test was going down a long steep hill,put the car in neutral and let it roll to the bottle and to a stop no brakes,as it came to a near stop i get a clunk its as if the drive train trying to keep up with wheels
Old 29-07-19

Default L\H rear driveshaft and hub stuffed

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have recently picked up an NW 2014 VR-X and it has a similar sound. Makes a clunk when you put your foot down a bit, you can actually feel it through the floor. My concern is this vehicle has only done 40k so how likely is this to be the problem? I initially had a look underneath the car and turned the drive shaft by hand, it turned a fair way and made a small clunk as I did so and then could not turn it back the other way, donít know if this is a problem?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by mongoose; 30-07-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks to all that contributed to the fix for this clunking problem on take off. I too had the same problem and was baffled as to the cause. A re grease and re torque as per this topic fixed it, about 10 minutes a side, and the left one was loose.

Thanks again, posting solutions to strange problems is a great service.

Tccuth
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have recently picked up an NW 2014 VR-X and it has a similar sound. Makes a clunk when you put your foot down a bit, you can actually feel it through the floor. My concern is this vehicle has only done 40k so how likely is this to be the problem? I initially had a look underneath the car and turned the drive shaft by hand, it turned a fair way and made a small clunk as I did so and then could not turn it back the other way, donít know if this is a problem?

Any help appreciated.
This could easily be the read differential mounting rubbers. If they are stuffed, the diff will tramp and wind up with the torque reaction from the axles. This could cause the clunk.