Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Cheap Cylinder heads - are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWBASS
    • Dec 2018
    • Perth

Cheap Cylinder heads - are they worth it?

Hi All,

I have a 91 NH Pajero SWB with the 3ltr Petrol motor... looks like I have a head problem... it was running perfectly last 5 months but noticed a slight loss of coolant over the past month......(500ml)

Then this week on next start up, white steam from the exhaust... hopefully it's only a gasket but will confirm this weekend when the heads come off.

There are a few options available

Has anyone used the cheap new heads available?
    Is there a difference between ones made in China and Taiwan?

I do love the old girl and want to keep her a bit longer but not sure what the overall costs could be..

Has anyone bought new aftermarket heads like these with Success ??

Cheers
    SWBASS
    Last edited by SWBASS; 17-05-19, 12:47 AM. Reason: More info
  • Dongskie2
    • Dec 2016
    • Manila & Berwick

I learned from some Pajero mates back here who used those cyl-heads from China or Taiwan that its not a plug and play thingy.

You may need to take it to the machinist for some fine tuning.
    Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

• TomW
      • Mar 2017
      • Melbourne

Assuming it hasn’t been totally cooked / overheated no reason why not to use the original heads. An engine shop can pull them to bits, test, clean, skim and reassemble reasonably cheap ( I think I paid around $400 for this work including a couple of new valves and valve stems seals, I will try and dig up the receipt )

I have not had any personal experience with the aftermarket heads but have also heard that the machining is not always 100% so the heads may not work out of the box.

Comment

• SWBASS
        • Dec 2018
        • Perth

Thanks Gents,

I think I will take your advice and get mine professionally checked ... Hopefully it won't be too bad and the old girl will be back on the track lifting a front wheel once again.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

I thought similar-getting old heads up to scratch would have to be a fair bit cheaper than buying those "cheap" ones. If your capable of pulling the heads off yourself, you would be capable of doing some of the tasks you would be paying for anyway like valve stem seals etc

Comment

• SWBASS
            • Dec 2018
            • Perth

Thanks Disco Stu,

yep, I can get them off ... (always find it easier to pull apart anything hehe) ... it's the putting it all back together that I get a little nervous ... eg timing dizzy etc..

Off they come then ... will let you all know the verdict in a week or so...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X