• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

Heres a couple of pics of mine. I have a GME 3520 remote face. The main unit is mounted behind the plastic panel that covers the steeing column.

Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• pajombre03
      • Oct 2011
      • ...USA

Great setup Bundyk! I wish I knew about remote face radios. That would've been great to go with. Might look into that and see what I can do! Thanks for all the info!

Comment

• sunnyside71
        • Feb 2012
        • california

Originally posted by pajombre03 View Post
        These are all awesome. I made the mistake of ordering the radio with out taking measurements... but i just mounted it straight on the side of the console, directly to the left of the ash tray/coin holder. I'll get some pics up. Not the best solution. But it's held up, and i have hit it many times with my legs and it hasnt budged yet. As for antenna, I have a simple magnet mount, which im looking to replace, because i just discovered that the screw for the antenna, is the same size screw used to attach cameras to tripods. So I have a magnet mount camera now! Ha, we'll see how it goes. But I really like what Gus did with the steel brackets screwed to the front just under the hood/bonnet. I might look into that. Thanks for all the recommendations and pictures.
        I accidentally found out that the mounts that the cell phone booster systems work well for audio antennas as well.

Comment

• Pedro's Pajero
          • Jul 2014
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by netorius77 View Post
          Attached photo of my UHF install (Uniden UH015sx 40Ch). Remote gear is mounted under drivers seat with a remote speaker under the dash. I leave the mic in the glove box and only screw it in when traveling. To be honest, the general bogan talk on the radio at most times is embarrassing and unsavoury. I guess only acceptable in an emergency!

You can see Tekonsha brake controller on LHS of steering wheel.

As you can see I still have a lot of space for more toys - as soon as the wife, I mean err budget allows.

Curious where you got that empty din slot above ash tray.
          I removed the cd stack in mine and was hoping to fill it with a storage din slot but the standard ones don't fit. Did yours come with a cd stack or is that empty storage slot a factory item.
          Thanks
          Pedro

Comment

• Easykill1978
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by Pedro's Pajero View Post
            Curious where you got that empty din slot above ash tray.
            I removed the cd stack in mine and was hoping to fill it with a storage din slot but the standard ones don't fit. Did yours come with a cd stack or is that empty storage slot a factory item.
            Thanks
            Pedro
            thats where mine is.. it is a 1din CB radio and fitted with no issues for me
            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• xflamedancer
              • Mar 2010
              • Perth

I'll post a pic of my setup but I also have the remote head unit mounted in the pocket that used to be mounted under the air con controls. I did the air con control swap a few weeks ago and moved the UHF up under the stereo. The main body of the unit is also mounted inside the panel under the steering wheel and I have mounted an external speaker to the top of the B pillar so it is right next to my ear.
              The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity
              Harlan Ellison

Comment

• basil
                • Apr 2012
                • Gembrook

As for your question on which is the best antenna, well there are pros and cons. A longer antenna may have higher gain but that comes at a cost of a much narrower beam width which is ok on the road and fairly flat terrain, but can be a pain once the vehicle gets onto angles when off road.
                You can find yourself with a diminished range and coms which can drop out at times.
                A lower gain antenna will not suffer this to the same degree but will not have quite the same range when on a flat. Thick or thin makes little difference and just adds a little bandwidth with the thicker element.
                As for the best position for the antenna, that's easy, the middle of your roof. I can't see too many people drilling a hole there mind you but some do.
                Mount it to the bar or a bracket near the headlight and swallow the limited range both side on and also forward of the vehicle. due to ground losses.
                UHF unfortunately is very limited in range and also suffers due to obstacles.
                My work here is done .

Comment

• Wright
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Rowville

Has anyone have opinions on the brand Oricom, I am thinking about this radio.

Or should I stay with gme or uniden?
                  Thanks.
                  2003 NP auto 3.8lt duel fuel with injected gas 2inch lift 32inch Kenda Klever ATs Factory bullbar and snorkel.

Comment

• Mitch-WA-
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Perth

Stuck mine above the clock, flipped it to get the unit to fit well.

Got the aerial mount idea from this here forum.

Comment

• Wicks747
                      • Oct 2014
                      • Alice Springs

I purchased a oricom full din uhf from Supercheap auto. Absolutely hated it. The uniden I was replacing it with had heaps better range with the same antenna. When near the main station repeater the squelch would not go high enough to stop the radio from picking up static as a transmission and the scan function is very slow compared with my current gme unit. Also the memory scan function which I use a lot is an issue. Instead on skipping non selected channels like the gme and uniden it still scans them just chooses not to stop on non selected channels. So if you only want to scan 4 channels it still take the same time to do a full round as if you where scanning 80 channels. I rang oricom thinking the unit was faulty explaining all of the above to them and was told that it's all normal for this unit.

After working in the outback every company and person I have worked for and met run GME and I wouldn't buy anything els again. But the uniden unit I had wasn't bad just not as good.
                      Sold 2004 PA Challenger
                      Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• HarryStottle
                        • Dec 2011
                        • Yalata SA

Just a word of warning on using the DIN slot above the ashtray. My Uniden is a good unit but the microphone plugs into the head unit on the right hand (drivers) side and when I put the car in park my hand hits it. Have replaced the connection with an elbow so it does not project as far and is much better, but if doing it again I would get the GME (best brand IMO) which has the mike plugging into the head unit on the left and away from the gear stick.

I use a smaller wire antenna (800mm ish) attached to a bracket on one of the roof racks, gives me the height for range and I change it over (simple screw one off and the other on) to a rubber stumpy when in town needing to get into carparks etc.
                        2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• smwhiskey
                          • Feb 2012
                          • Brisbane

My GME TX???? single din unit is slotted into the spot where the 6-stacker used to be installed. I wasn't using the stacker after I replaced the head unit so it made sense to put it there. The 6dB Uniden (bought off ebay for about $65) antenna is attached to the bullbar.

And for those wondering. The 2nd Microphone holder is where I put the handheld.

Simon
                          Attached Files
                          2003 NP DID Exceed with a bit of lift and a hunk of steel on the front with some stuff hanging off it

Comment

• richard d
                            • Sep 2019
                            • adelaide

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                            What are the advantages / disadvantages for the different type of antennas? There seems to be a variety of lengths, diameters and styles although the "short and skinny" or "broom stick" type seem to be pretty popular.
                            height is might when it comes to any radio that being said with CB UHF and what it can do depends on what the aplication is .
                            1 are going to use it when traveling in convoy with mates on relatively normal roads be it sealed or gravel. then i would say your standard skinny whip is just fine.and you can get in to repeaters with that as well.

2 around the city and local traffic just ton talk and listen well a stubby is just fine for the close proximity stuff.

3 the big thick White/Black stick with the spring and heavy duty brackets well they are made tough for real 4x4 driving smacking into tree branches and bouncing around with lots of bangs and bump and vibrating and corrugated surfaces oh and they look good too, That said most people do not get off road all the time to warrant that sort of outa pocket expense and most of the time you will be just fine with the thinner ones even spring mounting them is good .
                            I have had all the above antennas and yes the s/s whips don't like corrugations and i have shaken them to bits snapping them at the base ferrule.

the thin fiberglass ones are good the helicoil whip type, if you mount them on a spring mount they last fine if your not hitting low branches they will do ok but can suffer.
                            but if your a serious off road 4x4 nut who parks up the van then goes out and does some serious crawling and off roading then yes you need the tough one cause it going to get frashed about .

but the choice is yours its what takes your fancy at the end of the day . BUT AS TONY STARK ONCE SAID "whats the point of having a big stick if your not gunna use it"
                            just my 2 bobs worth
                            2003 NP Exceed (JAN BUILD) current driver
                            1998 GLS

Comment

• Axiste
                              • Jan 2017
                              • Townsville

holy thread revival..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...