• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameltrain
    • Dec 2008
    • Brisbane

Different tyre sizes

I currently have Coopers S/T 265/70/R16 on my NP. They are the passenger tyre construction. I need to replace two of the tyres and would like to go to a LT construction for more toughness and hopefully longer wear.

However Coopers don't make this size in the LT construction. They do make a 245/75/R16 which are almost the same outer dimension as my current set (3mm difference).

Are there any issues running different tyre sizes in the back compared to the front, if the outer dimension is much the same?

Cheers,
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by cameltrain View Post
    I currently have Coopers S/T 265/70/R16 on my NP. They are the passenger tyre construction. I need to replace two of the tyres and would like to go to a LT construction for more toughness and hopefully longer wear.

However Coopers don't make this size in the LT construction. They do make a 245/75/R16 which are almost the same outer dimension as my current set (3mm difference).

Are there any issues running different tyre sizes in the back compared to the front, if the outer dimension is much the same?

Cheers,
    It wouldn't bother me. AFAIK, legally you only need to match tyres across an axle - not front to rear.

NFI what you do when you need to use the spare...
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• cameltrain
      • Dec 2008
      • Brisbane

I must be missing something. If the outside tyre dimensions is only a couple of mm different would it make any difference if the spare was put on the front or rear? In a lot of cases the tread wear alone could be a couple of mm.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by cameltrain View Post
        I must be missing something. If the outside tyre dimensions is only a couple of mm different would it make any difference if the spare was put on the front or rear? In a lot of cases the tread wear alone could be a couple of mm.
        I agree - a minor difference in size shouldn't matter, but regulations are typically worded along the lines of:

Originally posted by Qld Transport
        Tyre construction (e.g. radial) and size must be the same on the same axle. Although it is recommended that the tyres are identical (i.e. same brand and tread pattern), this is not mandatory.
        It's a matter of how pedantic somebody wants to get. I have a car which came, from the factory, with different size tyres front and rear, and a "full size" spare (but I haven't checked if it's front or rear size.) Arguably, it would be the wrong size for one axle or the other, but, in reality, I wouldn't expect it to cause any issues.

I suspect that if your vehicle is well kept and you don't give any authorities any grief, you'll be OK. Give a Road Nazi an excuse to get narky, and it could be an excuse to issue a ticket.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• martin7
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • High Wycombe W.A.

as the difference is only 3mm that would not cause a problem. but when the other 2 tyres require replacing i would get another 2 to match the ones your about to get now.
          95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• 1993 NJ LWB
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007

I would get 265/75/16, but then u would need 4 i guess.
            1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X