• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Front Proximity Sensors In A Bull Bar Running Amuck

Hi all,

Yesterday (Friday), I had a (non-genuine) bull bar fitted to my PS Exceed. The supplier/fitter is a well known company and I'm lovin' the asthetics of the bull bar, the driving lights and recovery points as fitted. They tell me that a number of the local Mitsubishi dealers send vehicles to them to have the same bars fitted, so they're 'almost genuine'.

However, not all is well and I am going back to see them just as soon as I can (probably Monday), to have a chat about the transferred parking/proximity/sonar sensors in the new bull bar. They (or one or more of them) are not functioning very well. In fact, they are mal-functioning.

If there is a vehicle in front within 35 feet. the alarm kicks in and emits that continuous, piercing alert tone and will not stop until I manually activate the isolating switch. The alert also operates when stationary (at lights) with not a car in sight. It's as though they are sensing the road surface.

I can't live with all that - it's just too much.

I'm hoping, but I don't expect the bull bar company to be right across the technology associated with the proximity/parking sensors. I am hoping, though, that I might have a positive conversation with them.

Do wisened forumites have expertise and/or knowledge as to what kind of conversation I should have with these (very personable) folk?

Thank you in advance . . .
    Last edited by WHID; 09-12-19, 03:26 PM.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Is it parking sensors or the forward collision mitigation generating the alarm?
    Can the FCM be turned off to check?

I seem to recall reading that the FCM system will not function correctly with some bullbars and or some driving lights.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• WHID
      • Oct 2019
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Is it parking sensors or the forward collision mitigation generating the alarm?
      Can the FCM be turned off to check?
      Thanks OJ,
      I'm pretty certain it is not the FCM/UMS systems - thay appear to be functioning as expected.

The company which fitted the bull bar was especially willing to assist with the problem and invited me to return the vehicle to them today. They did some work readjusting/reorienting the sensors which has improved the situation markedly. I think we'll need another look though, as things are still not quite as they should be . . . yet.

Given the postive response from the fitting company I am confident that we'll get there.

When that happens, I'll put their name up (in lights?) as good people with whom to deal.

Thanks again . . .
      Last edited by WHID; 09-12-19, 03:31 PM.
      Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2019
        • Victoria

FYI the sensors must be fitted in the correct orientation IE connectors must go horizontally in to sensor not vertically
        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

Parking sensors designed to fit in a plastic bar will often give false positives when transferred to a metal bar, since they read the proximity of the metal.

It is very important, when removing and refitting sensors, that they be refitted correctly with the silicone isolating ring and, of course, as noted above, that they be oriented correctly.

On a few cars the sensitivity can be adjusted, otherwise the sensors need to be replaced with the correct type
          Chris

Comment

• swilson150
            • May 2020
            • Glen Waverley

Also worth noting is the sensors are subject to inteference. In all three PS's I've had (QE and QF Exceed).

When stopped at lights, if there is a BMW in front of you (directly and/or to either side) the parking sensors will randomly alert.

Pay attention to the cars around you next time it goes off, odds are a BMW is in the forward view of the car.

I can only suspect their sensors are interfering with the PS. It would be interesting to know what's happening inside the BMW, perhaps their sensors are going off to.

Comment

• olliej
              • May 2012
              • wa

Originally posted by swilson150 View Post
              Also worth noting is the sensors are subject to inteference. In all three PS's I've had (QE and QF Exceed).

When stopped at lights, if there is a BMW in front of you (directly and/or to either side) the parking sensors will randomly alert.

Pay attention to the cars around you next time it goes off, odds are a BMW is in the forward view of the car.

I can only suspect their sensors are interfering with the PS. It would be interesting to know what's happening inside the BMW, perhaps their sensors are going off to.
              Yup. I noted the same thing and it’s mostly BMWs that does it. Always the right and middle parking sensor.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X