• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaz1
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Blue Mountains NSW

Which auto is in the Pajero Sport

My sister has a 2018 MY Sport that she uses for towing a small caravan (under 2000kg) and I have been told by a mechanic that the Sport's auto is a Renault box and not all that reliable for towing - its origin was in a light Renault SUV. Is there any known basis for that concern? I haven't been able to find any corroboration.
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The auto is an Aisin V8AWG and what I have read it was especially developed for the Pajero Sport. Max tow capacity of 3100kg, even though I would not tow that load, 2,000kg is a comfortable tow weight.

Most Renault SUV's use CVT transmissions and are normally limited to between 1600kg and 2000kg tow capacity. These are completely different to the transmission fitted to the Pajero Sport.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• gaz1
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Blue Mountains NSW

Thanks OJ, that's reassuring. I was surprised when he told me - he's actually a Pajero owner, and the place I take mine for work that I feel is a bit beyond me now, and his work is very reliable. So I couldn't just dismiss it outright.
      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Is he potentially confused with the Outlander/Pugoet cross breed which might have a French parts bin transmission.........maybe??
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Dentrecasteaux
          • Jun 2016
          • Adelaide

Tl-80sn?

This company refers to the Pajero Sport as having a TL-80SN transmission. Seems plausible given the other vehicles that have this style of 8AT. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Dentrecasteaux View Post
            This company refers to the Pajero Sport as having a TL-80SN transmission. Seems plausible given the other vehicles that have this style of 8AT. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

https://www.alltranz.com.au/shop/tra...ns/Mitsubishi/
            The TL-80SN is a rear wheel drive transmission and is not listed as being able to have a transfer case fitted to it. The TL-80SD is the AWD version and is fitted to larger VW and Audi SUV's.

Aisin make dozens of different transmissions and these are fitted to many makes of cars that are front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive. Aisin make Autos, Manual, CVT and Hybrid transmissions as well as transfer cases.

From my reading the Pajero Sport we have in Australia is fitted with the V8AWG and this is an Aisin 8 speed auto with Super Select, Transfer Case and has torque converter lock up from 3rd to 8th gear. According to MMC this auto is specially made for the Pajero Sport.

When the Pajero Sport was first released MMAL supplied me with quite a bit of technical info on the 8 speed auto.

OJ.
            Last edited by old Jack; 27-09-19, 04:28 AM.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• DID Dash
              • Aug 2016
              • Australia

And that 8 speed Auto is simply the best automatic transmission I have driven, particularly when towing. I am amazed at its ability to hold 7th or 8th gear while towing my 1600 kg camper without any apparent torque convertor slip. Towing economy between 12 and 15 l/100. It is a pleasure to drive and tow with Pajero Sport.
              17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• stevefisho
                • Sep 2019
                • Boronia

OK and it probably should of gone into the Challenger section but have always been interested in the 8 speed auto.
                Ha ha 'What is the auto in my 2015 PC LS.
                Why didn't they put the 8 speed in this model as it has all other bells and whistles and could it be fitted. Does it need SS11. I have slid around under the chally and the rear housing seems to have extra blind electrical spots.
                Or is the box just a hollow ended shell without the 6th 7th and 8th clutches.
                Interested on a maybe with but guessing a couple or four grand wont get near it.
                Worth a query.
                Steve.
                2015 Challenger LS auto. Grey. First reg 2017. traded up from a 2013 Triton GLXR. 265/65 R17 General Grabber on factory alloys.Twin roof top Solar, Piranha quad battery system (1 crank + 3 aux = 500 amps) 2000/4000 inverter, 70 ltr Ever-cool fridge freezer,Microwave, electric kettle, Light force 210's with extra pair of 180's should my ego take over, GME UHF.. Future additions 14000lb winch and 40mm suspension,23ZERO awning, light weight alloy wheels. Town car is a 2.2 Diesel ASX AWD

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Hi Steve,

I do not believe the Aisin 8 speed auto fitted to the 4N15 engine that is fitted to the Pajero Sport will fit the PB/PC Challenger fitted with the5 speed Jatco auto and the 4D56 engine.

Fitting an MM4x4 Auto Mate will greatly improve every aspect of how your auto Challenger drives, especially when towing, you can expect reduced ATF temperatures, improved fuel economy and a much better drive experience.
                  Whilst it will not be as good as a Pajero Sport the cost of the upgrade is much less than the cost of changing vehicles.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X