• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by crimespree View Post
    How would the Pedders Cone springs work with the standard rear springs? is there enough travel before they are engaged?
    I am not against changing the rear spring but really want to keep it as comfortable as possible for the wife when we are not using it to tow.
    There are no issues with fitting the Peddars 5899 cones with factory coils, this will assist the factory coils as the 5899 are longer and contact earlier in the spring progression. You have to remove the coils to change the cones so whilst you have the coils out, for an extra $200 I would fit King KCRS-23 rear coils. These are a really nice coil that is comfortable but takes the loads better than the factory coils. Expect about a 10mm ride height increase over the factory coils, so about 555mm to 560mm ride height.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• crimespree
      • Feb 2011
      • brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      There are no issues with fitting the Peddars 5899 cones with factory coils, this will assist the factory coils as the 5899 are longer and contact earlier in the spring progression. You have to remove the coils to change the cones so whilst you have the coils out, for an extra $200 I would fit King KCRS-23 rear coils. These are a really nice coil that is comfortable but takes the loads better than the factory coils. Expect about a 10mm ride height increase over the factory coils, so about 555mm to 560mm ride height.

OJ.

Thanks OJ, it's not about nickel and diming it, I just don't want to the car to be any firmer than it needs to be, because then I know i will start looking at shocks and then it's a slippery slope to completely replacing everything... I've put 5 different configurations of suspension in my other car getting it perfect. I'd fit these myself so not at all worried about doing it twice.
      In saying that I think I'll take your advice and fit them both and see how it is
      I know you've given a lot of advice here, it is appreciated!

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Thanks OJ, it's not about nickel and diming it, I just don't want to the car to be any firmer than it needs to be, because then I know i will start looking at shocks and then it's a slippery slope to completely replacing everything... I've put 5 different configurations of suspension in my other car getting it perfect. I'd fit these myself so not at all worried about doing it twice.
        In saying that I think I'll take your advice and fit them both and see how it is
        I know you've given a lot of advice here, it is appreciated!
        I fitted a pair of KCRS-23 within 6 months of owning my Challenger because the rear suspension did not carry weight well and with towball loads of 140kg, the rear end would wallow and pitch. I ran these coils for 2 years 30,000kms on standard shockers and standard front suspension. It wasn't until I was setting the Challenger up for extended remote area travel at GVM+ that I changed to complete suspension.
        Fitting KCRS-23 and 5899 cones is a common upgrade to the standard suspension for people that want better weight carrying capacity and handling of the rear suspension without losing empty ride comfort.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Have a read of this thread.

OJ.

Comment

• crimespree
            • Feb 2011
            • brisbane

Just ordered spring and bump stops, thanks mate.

Comment

• crimespree
              • Feb 2011
              • brisbane

So my springs and bump stops have arrived but despite research I haven't decided if I will swap the left and right springs over or put them in as labelled.

OJ it seems you installed them as labelled and the heights remained as expected.

The RH spring is 5-10mm taller, I'll how the OEM springs compare once removed.
              Last edited by crimespree; 18-06-19, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• chillipepperz
                • Feb 2017
                • Adelaide

So my springs and bump stops have arrived but despite research I haven't decided if I will swap the left and right springs over or put them in as labelled.

OJ it seems you installed them as labelled and the heights remained as expected.

The RH spring is 5-10mm taller, I'll how the OEM springs compare once removed.
                In my Challenger (same underneath I believe) I fitted the rear KCRR23 Kings springs opposite to what was printed on the spring. My standard suspension was somewhat lower on the left, so fitting the taller spring on that side brought the ride to a more level left to right result.

Cheers!
                Andrew
                2014 Challenger: Factory tow bar | Factory alloy bullbar | Kings LED’s | Window tint | Kumho Mt-51's | Munji EGR Delete | Provent 200 | Redarc Towpro | UHF in dash| Custom rear drawers and fridge slide | 130AH rear AGM battery | Aldi roof bars and Kings awning | Kings Springs KCFR55T front KCRR23 rear and Bilstein shocks. Soon: guards.

Comment

• crimespree
                  • Feb 2011
                  • brisbane

I installed the springs and bump stops today, a 15-25mm raise in the rear.

During a quick first drive I didn't notice any significant change in comfort.

I will report back after driving a little more.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Could you please measure and post your rear ride heights, measured from of centre wheel hub to underside of wheel arch edge, in a vertical line.

How much weight is permanently in the rear of the vehicle?

Did you fit right coil to righthand side or left hand side?

OJ.

Comment

• crimespree
                      • Feb 2011
                      • brisbane

Could you please measure and post your rear ride heights, measured from of centre wheel hub to underside of wheel arch edge, in a vertical line.

rears are ~580mm each with a full tank of fuel

How much weight is permanently in the rear of the vehicle?

no extra weight

Did you fit right coil to righthand side or left hand side?

fitted them opposite to the labels, I think this worked out perfect given the ride height above.

OJ.

Thanks!

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

580mm rear ride height is 21mm higher than factory standard so by the time the coils settle a bit then 15 to 17mm is likely so that is a good outcome.

I will be interested in what you think of them once you are loaded and towing.

OJ.

Comment

• crimespree
                          • Feb 2011
                          • brisbane

580mm rear ride height is 21mm higher than factory standard so by the time the coils settle a bit then 15 to 17mm is likely so that is a good outcome.

I will be interested in what you think of them once you are loaded and towing.

OJ.

Off in a couple of weeks, I'm sure it will be great, I had no issues with the stock suspension towing without any load in the back, this will just give me some scope to carry that little bit more and have confidence in the car when I do.
                          Will report back.

Comment

• crimespree
                            • Feb 2011
                            • brisbane

The measurements are arguably closer to 575mm. It's good either way.

Of note is the ability to actually change the bump stops at full droop, they fit between the coils.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Brisbane, Southside

Just had the King KCRS-23 springs with the Peddars 5899 bump stops fitted to the rear, this resulted in a 30mm increase in ride height, but I expect that will settle back with use.

Now looking forward to see what difference it makes towing. The local Capalaba Pedders guy fitted them and he provided good service.
                              Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                              Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• orthodoxs
                                • Mar 2018
                                • Darwin

I am afraid i have lost the plot here, regarding the need for interchanging the springs Left 2 right.
                                From my reading, it seems to me that the KCRS 23 was designed for the Challenger and one spring (Right?) was longer because it compensated for the fuel in the fuel tank. OJ retained the same configration as labeled and got a level ride on his challenger, Chillipepperz reported that he swapped them left 4 right because his standard suspension was lower on the left (Without a full tank???) on his challenger.
                                Crimespree fitted them on to his PS and reported either way was good for him but did not say which he opted for.
                                Greg GG had fitted these springs on his PS but did not say outcome and which side was which spring.
                                I would like to change my springs to KCRS 23 and the cone to Peddars 5899 on my Pajero sport exceed, possibly tomorrow if the local peddars outlet has stocks, because i have recently bought a caravan.
                                Please advice.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X