• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glids37
    • Feb 2016
    • Banksia Park S.A.

Removing Roof Rails - procedure

Hi Guys,

I wanted to drill additional holes in the Roof Rails so that I could mount the Roof Rack further apart, and figured the best way to do this would be to remove the vehicle's rails and drill on the bench.

The Workshop Manual gives a basic idea as follows:
    Remove the Front and Rear Rail Covers.
    Remove the 3 screws at Front and Rear
    Remove the Centre Cover and Screw
    Remove the Rail.

The Manual doesn't provide any detail about what holds the Front and Rear Covers down, so I have attached a few photos showing the locations of hooks etc.
    Basically, it is as follows:
    The Rear Cover has a small 'hook' / 'clip' at each front corner, and a tang and socket at the rear. Un-clip the front, lift slightly, and slide to the rear to disengage the tang.
    The Front Cover is similar, but there are two additional hook/clips about halfway along the cover. Un-clip all 4, lift and slide forwards to disengage the tang.

Edit: Meant to add that I used nylon Trim Remover Tools to avoid damage to the paintwork - these: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
    glids
    Roof_Rails.pdf

Roof_Rails_2.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3524.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	995471

Name:	IMG_3526.JPG
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	995472

Name:	IMG_3527.JPG
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	995473

Name:	IMG_3529.JPG
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	995474

Name:	IMG_3530.JPG
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	995475

Name:	IMG_3531.JPG
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	995476

Name:	IMG_3532.JPG
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	995477
    Last edited by glids37; 08-08-16, 08:45 AM.
    QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.
  • Jizza
    • May 2016
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by glids37 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I wanted to drill additional holes in the Roof Rails so that I could mount the Roof Rack further apart, and figured the best way to do this would be to remove the vehicle's rails and drill on the bench.

The Workshop Manual gives a basic idea as follows:
    Remove the Front and Rear Rail Covers.
    Remove the 3 screws at Front and Rear
    Remove the Centre Cover and Screw
    Remove the Rail.

The Manual doesn't provide any detail about what holds the Front and Rear Covers down, so I have attached a few photos showing the locations of hooks etc.
    Basically, it is as follows:
    The Rear Cover has a small 'hook' / 'clip' at each front corner, and a tang and socket at the rear. Un-clip the front, lift slightly, and slide to the rear to disengage the tang.
    The Front Cover is similar, but there are two additional hook/clips about halfway along the cover. Un-clip all 4, lift and slide forwards to disengage the tang.

Edit: Meant to add that I used nylon Trim Remover Tools to avoid damage to the paintwork - these: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
    glids
    [ATTACH]33346[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33347[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33348[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33349[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33350[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33351[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33352[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33353[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33354[/ATTACH]
    Excellent work Ian.

I did pull them apart by same method a couple of times, how'd you go with drilling the hole and how much further apart did you go?

Comment

• glids37
      • Feb 2016
      • Banksia Park S.A.

Hi,

I set up a jig in the drill press to drill them. The original 4 holes were all 60mm apart, but the distance from the top (or bottom) varied quite a bit, which seemed strange as that distance is used by the locking clamp to hold the Roof Rack rails down.

I added 2 more holes at each end, 60mm and 120mm from the furthest existing hole, so I can position the Roof Rack rails at numerous spacings if needed.

The existing holes were about 9mm dia, but that was not critical as the lugs on the Roof Rack clamps are only about 7.5mm. I used a 11/32" drill (8.73mm).

Cheers,
      glids
      QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.

Comment

• deme
        • Apr 2015
        • Perth

Thank you so much for your pictures. I have rhino rack which requires bigger distance between cross bars.
        Cheers

Comment

• RossMacKenzie
          • Jun 2017
          • Auckland

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. It looks straight forward. My Mitsi dealer in Auckland wanted to charge $500 to drill the extra holes.

Comment

• Cory
            • Jun 2008

A easier way is to buy different legs from Thule. It is a universal kit that has no lugs on the legs so you can more them wherever you want. I just swapped the front legs over and moved them forward a bit. I have driven about 2000k with 3 sups and 4 surfboards on the roof, country driving at 100+ and they did not move at all, so that's a much simpler option. The fitting kit is around $60

Comment

• Crazy-Eyes
              • Feb 2017
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Cory View Post
              A easier way is to buy different legs from Thule. It is a universal kit that has no lugs on the legs so you can more them wherever you want. I just swapped the front legs over and moved them forward a bit. I have driven about 2000k with 3 sups and 4 surfboards on the roof, country driving at 100+ and they did not move at all, so that's a much simpler option. The fitting kit is around $60
              Hey Cory,

do you mind sharing what roof rack setup you're running?

I'm looking to get some eventually, and just scoping out what people are using and how much they'll set me back.

Comment

• Cory
                • Jun 2008

Mine are just the standard MM roof racks (roof bars) which are just rebranded Thule. The only difference between the Thule legs and the MM legs are the Thule ones don't have the lugs that fit into the holes in the roof rails and therefore they are not limited to one spot. Hope that helps.
                Last edited by Cory; 22-06-17, 11:59 AM. Reason: I cant spell

Comment

• Aff1878
                  • Jun 2014

Absolute legend! This will really help me on my weekend project of installing a 43in light bar B-)

Thank you!

Comment

• pfgrobler
                    • May 2014
                    • Centurion. South Africa

I've added some pics as I could not find any of the car side.

On the main front and rear sets the bolts are 6cm appart.

The last front bolt to the center bolt is 76cm
                    Center to first rear bolt is 76cm again.

I'm looking the tray based option from Rola and Rhino and I'm a bit that there is only a single bolt through the metal portion of the rail.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by pfgrobler; 21-12-17, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• AstinGC90
                      • Nov 2017
                      • Innisfail

Appreciate the walk through

Grabbed a Front Runner today, now the waiting game.
                      2016 MY17 Pajero Sport Exceed
                      MCC Rocker Bar - Runva 11XP Premium Winch - Tough Dog 40mm adjustable lift kit - Safari V-Spec - 4mm Stainless Bash Plates- Savannah RTT - Front Runner Slimline 2 Rack - All interior lighting swapped to LED's - Stedi 39" LED Lightbar with LED/DRL fogs - Intervolt DC/DC charger - Projecta 120W solar - Dual Battery under bonnet 75AH SLA aux - Provent Catch Can - Idrive Windbooster EVC313 - Miracast HDMI mod - Piranha Breathers.

Comment

• Bulldog
                        • Apr 2011
                        • sydney

Roof Rail Cover

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement roof rail cover, as mine has fallen off.

Comment

• flungabunga
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Sydney

Thanks for the photos. Very helpful. I'm aiming to install a front runner slimline this weekend and the car's user manual instructions are really unclear on how these rails should be removed. Any other tips on how to disengage the hooks ?

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Brisbane, Southside

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                            Yes, the latest Rhino Racks use that method as well which makes it really easy to slide the mounting feet wherever you like on the rails (not the covers).
                            Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                            Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• kod10
                              • May 2014
                              • brisbane

Thank you for the excellent info, my dealer was less than useful in providing information about those holes in the roof rails, he gave me the impression that the bar-mounts screwed into those holes, whereas you have now made me aware that they are locating holes and Rhino/Thule mounts can be positioned wherever practical.
                              Kod

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X