• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty1
    • Jun 2015
    • Rous NSW

To fiddle or not to fiddle

Hey guys, my 2011 NT 3.2 has just ticked over 230,000k's. It runs like a dream despite spending at least 1/2 of it's life towing a very heavy caravan. Since new it has had airbags on the rear, an SPV egr mod and the last 150 is it's had a a Steinbauer module fitted with 3" exhaust. I stopped using the dealers for service as soon as the warranty ran out but it has been serviced every 10,000ks. Question is do I start doing things like valve clearances and fuel line replacements etc.
    As I say, it runs and tows like a dream.
    2011 NT Platinum, SPV egr mod, ARB Sahara bar, ARB Intensity lights, Redarc DC/DC40, Redarc Tow-Pro elite, Clearview mirrors, Uniden 8020, Pioneer AVZ-H5050BT, ARK pac 715 with 100a/hr agm, Evakool fridg, Hema HX1, Steinbauer module, M&M Lockup Mate and more.
  • drgtr
    • Sep 2019
    • Rosemeadow

i personally leave it. If it isnt broken dont fix it.

I seen quite a few mechanics doing valve clearances and removing injector lines and be it a crack line or washer or torque spec issue.

Ownder drives and then gets white smoke and fuel into oil and other issues.

Yes if you do it right you wont have issue but its just one less headache.

Comment

• Scooby
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2011
      • Ipswich, Qld.

There is a difference between fiddling and maintaining.
      If the Pajero has been worked hard then maintenance is more important.
      I have read different valve setting intervals and it depends on how you use your vehicle.
      30k, 45, and 60k. You need to keep records to work out what to do.
      You should have to only slightly adjust valve clearances, maybe 10% max of spec, if more than when done to schedule then you have issues.
      Also what do you call a 10k service?
      When do you change flush brake fluid?
      When do you service transmission?
      Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Rusty1
        • Jun 2015
        • Rous NSW

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
        There is a difference between fiddling and maintaining.
        If the Pajero has been worked hard then maintenance is more important.
        I have read different valve setting intervals and it depends on how you use your vehicle.
        30k, 45, and 60k. You need to keep records to work out what to do.
        You should have to only slightly adjust valve clearances, maybe 10% max of spec, if more than when done to schedule then you have issues.
        Also what do you call a 10k service?
        When do you change flush brake fluid?
        When do you service transmission?
        Thanks Scooby, the last dealer service was at 90k, who promptly screwed up the computer update and then wanted to argue about it. I won. I get transmission done every 50k with a complete flush every 100k. Trany never misses a beat. Brake flush has never been to my knowledge. The guy who looks after the car for me goes over everything that I'm aware of. If there is an anomaly he always points it out. Reckons I'm the most anal customer he has.
        2011 NT Platinum, SPV egr mod, ARB Sahara bar, ARB Intensity lights, Redarc DC/DC40, Redarc Tow-Pro elite, Clearview mirrors, Uniden 8020, Pioneer AVZ-H5050BT, ARK pac 715 with 100a/hr agm, Evakool fridg, Hema HX1, Steinbauer module, M&M Lockup Mate and more.

Comment

• Scooby
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Ipswich, Qld.

Hi Rusty1
          I would check with your mechanic about the brake fluid, should be changed ever 2 years. It is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water, which can give a spongey pedal or even at extreme, brake failure. Also water can damage the internals of the brake system rust. He probably is all over it.
          I also would get the valve clearances checked too. The injector pipes should be good to reuse if the last Mitsubishi dealer service was done at 90k, probably just get the intake manifold inspected for build up even though you have the egr override. If its clean you know you will never have to check it again.
          In your glovebox owners manual it will give you the service intervals for each component, which will give you an idea of what you should do with consultation with your mechanic.
          I keep a seperate book in the glovebox, one in each vehicle, that I write down all the service history in. Also things like tyres and things, which makes it really easy to check and compare things. Things like coolants can now last 6 years, your service schedule for the transmission. Also get your mechanic to write down the before and after valve clearances too. A couple of times I thought something like a failed shocks should be warranty one to check the book to find out it is over 5 years old. Didn’t have to go looking for receipt for no reason.
          I have just recently bought a NW with 180k on it and am working through that service schedule now, bit by bit. It had been supposedly been serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer all its life but I am probably a bit anal as well and won’t be happy until I change every fluid, filter and check the valves. Unlike yours mine hasn’t had the egr blocked an has a lot of build up just looking down through the throttle butterfly valve.
          Hope to drive this one a long while yet.
          Cheers.
          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X