Clear All
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Domenic1712 View Post
    Hi Brett,
    Could I get a copy of the hot fix??
    Brett, if you want to PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the Hotfix.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Ocean
      • May 2014
      • Blue mountains NSW

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
      I seem to remember I answered this very question somewhere on the forum just the other day. The official MM Hotfix states ...

"Improvement: The snap ring diameter has been increased from 2.0mm to 2.3mm and the snap ring groove of the companion shafts have been enlarged accordingly from manufacture date of 20/10/2005."

Cheers

Geoff
      Probably a dumb question but is it obvious when the shaft pops out?

Mine is an Oct 05 DID Auto (not sure if it is after 20/10/05) a leak has developed around what looks like the passenger side shaft seal.

Looking at both sides they appear to have identical clearances (no obvious sign of popping out)

If mine is post the problem referred to in this post replacing the seal I imagine to be a task just to get the improved shaft out with the larger clip.
      Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.

Comment

• Extoyotaman
        • Feb 2014
        • Wollongong

Originally posted by Ocean View Post
        Probably a dumb question but is it obvious when the shaft pops out?

Mine is an Oct 05 DID Auto (not sure if it is after 20/10/05) a leak has developed around what looks like the passenger side shaft seal.

Looking at both sides they appear to have identical clearances (no obvious sign of popping out)

If mine is post the problem referred to in this post replacing the seal I imagine to be a task just to get the improved shaft out with the larger clip.

Oh yes , trust me mate you'll know . There will be diff oil from ars*hole to breakfast time . Btw , anyone who's considering just changing the clip without doing the axels is wasting their time . I did it 3 times and got stuck each and every time somewhere very inconvenient afterwards .

Bought the upgraded axels on EBay , had them installed and 5 years later still tows like a dream hassle free . Mine used to pop out when towing only .

Plus .... have just listed it for sale as my brand new 2017 Paj arrives on Tuesday and a blokes already enquired if the car has original rear axels . So it can help for re-sale purposes also .

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Extoyotaman View Post
          ... anyone who's considering just changing the clip without doing the axels is wasting their time . I did it 3 times and got stuck each and every time somewhere very inconvenient afterwards
          You’re probably talking about replacing the original circlips with the same type of clip. The new clips have only been around for about 18 months or 2 years – part no. 3715A285 and have an oval cross profile which is supposed to cure the problem as they fit a bit tighter into the diff. They are oval so they will go into the groove in the original companion shaft but have a slight overall diameter to the old clips.

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Pajjy_McPajington
            • Jul 2016
            • Adelaide

You’re probably talking about replacing the original circlips with the same type of clip. The new clips have only been around for about 18 months or 2 years – part no. 3715A285 and have an oval cross profile which is supposed to cure the problem as they fit a bit tighter into the diff. They are oval so they will go into the groove in the original companion shaft but have a slight overall diameter to the old clips.

Geoff

Spewing! I didn’t know this and neither did MMAL let me know when I had one pop out a few times on a big road trip in June.

I knocked it back in again myself & redid the oil (both at mechanic & on the road), but eventually for piece of mind I went to MMAL & had to wait for the new shafts / seals etc to arrive & be installed.

I now have an ‘old set’ of shafts if anyone wants to get these new clips. They are fine, just the original version - 2004, NP.

PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Pajjy_McPajington View Post
              Spewing! I didn’t know this and neither did MMAL let me know when I had one pop out a few times on a big road trip in June ... I now have an ‘old set’ of shafts ...
              I know what you mean. I had the diff out of mine about 3 years ago and, even though I hadn’t had a problem, thought I’d do the companion shafts at the same time. My vehicle had the bigger diameter axles which didn’t fit the new companion shafts so, besides buying them I had to source replacement ‘updated’ shafts from a wrecker – then about 12 months after that the new circlips came out – bugger. Anyway, I now have a set of old companion shafts (that I can put new updated clips on), plus a full set of rear axles to suit them. I’ve just left them in the shed as spares but hopefully I’ll never need them.

Geoff

Comment

• Steve_H
                • Feb 2012
                • Melbourne

Had my LHS pop out twice now. First time I was towed home and I hammered it back in and replaced the diff oil. Second time was coming home from The Prom and I managed to catch it before it sprayed oil everywhere.

Will be buying the new shafts and clips in the next week. I have an auto 02 NM, will the replacement shafts fit? Am I right in saying that I can measure my shafts, if they're 32mm, then they the new ones will fit?
                2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

• Pajjy_McPajington
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Steve_H View Post
                  Had my LHS pop out twice now. First time I was towed home and I hammered it back in and replaced the diff oil. Second time was coming home from The Prom and I managed to catch it before it sprayed oil everywhere.

Will be buying the new shafts and clips in the next week. I have an auto 02 NM, will the replacement shafts fit? Am I right in saying that I can measure my shafts, if they're 32mm, then they the new ones will fit?

Steve - I think it’s the manual models that had the different sized shafts. I think you should be ok with an auto. Someone smarter & more knowledgeable than me can confirm for you though hopefully :-)

Also - see the last few comments above in this thread. There are new upgraded clips apparently, which may fit your existing shafts, & make it a much cheaper / easier fix for you.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

Steve you should be able to save yourself a bit of expense and keep your old companion shafts and just get the ‘new, revised’ oval shaped circlips – their Part No. is 3715A285. They fit in the groove on the old shafts but are slightly larger diameter to the old clips.

Apart from that, if you want to go the way of new companion shafts, the (old) irregular companion shafts with the 34mm. dia. axle were only on some manual vehicles – they had a flange size of 182mm. as well. The new companion shafts need the 32mm. axle with the 170mm. flange.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

• Steve_H
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Melbourne

Thanks guys. I thought I read that shafts were still popping with the new clips?
                      Maybe they were just popping with new replacement (not new shape) clips.
                      2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

• flyreels
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Tasmania

Brett, if you want to PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the Hotfix.

Cheers

Geoff
                        Hi I know this is an old thread but is it still possible to get a copy of the hotfix?
                        Cheers Pete

Comment

• flyreels
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tasmania

Thanks guys. I thought I read that shafts were still popping with the new clips?
                          Maybe they were just popping with new replacement (not new shape) clips.
                          Hi does anyone know if this is the case or do you now just need the new larger clips?
                          Thanks Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X