• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teamjet
    • Jun 2015
    • Sydney

Originally posted by tiger99 View Post
    Looks good mate. Nice job. Can I ask how you fixed the tonneau buttons on the cream trim? Do they need a backing nut & if so does the cream trim come of easy? Also what material is the table (ply?)

Thanks,

Pete
    I am sure they come in all sorts of colours. From memory they didn't have a backing nut, just a screw. Here is the link -

Table is just ply I had lying around - 12mm from memory.

Comment

• Teamjet
      • Jun 2015
      • Sydney

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post
      a second question f I may, is there a reason that you didn't go full width of the door ?
      I think I'd prefer as much space as I can but if you know of a reason not too, it's better to ask the question before I start drilling holes.
      Sorry about the very late response - I am not sure why I didn't make it the full length.
      What did you end up doing?

Comment

• surf54
        • Jan 2018
        • Port Macquarie

My attempt at the backdoor table

The first mod complete...
        I also did an attempt to create a tailgate door table. I chose a cutting board to start with but put a light aluminium diamond plate on top to be able to put our Coleman dual burner on top.
        The tailgate inner door is a lot of curved plastic and it was basically adjusting the design as you go. The aluminium strip the table rests on is the longest stretch possible to be able to put a strip behind it on the other side inside the curve. I wanted to keep the original plastic door so used some 90' alloy angle to space it out. I had to put the stainless steel T-hinges on the outside to create enough room.
        It all just fits and the hinges make a tiny print in the carpet when the door is closed a couple of mm in. I turned the door handle on the inside upside down to create enough height for the cutting board to be able to reach 3x stainless steel house door magnets to hold it up when not in use.
        Turns out if I slam the tailgate door really hard the magnets (that suppose to hold a main inner house door each!) are not enough to keep the table in place. I gave up putting more magnets in because the plastic strip to put the created alloy brackets for the magnets on is quite small.
        I bought Velcro reusable cable ties to loop through the stainless eye bolts that hold the table when down but are close together when the door is up to give enough "slam" support to the magnets to hold the door.
        Stainless steel wire is holding the table when down. I put near 13 kg on the table and it was holding up fine and not bending in the middle with the diamond plate on top. Mind you it is all mounted onto the plastic inner door with alloy strips and the inner door mainly holds on with plastic clips and just 2 screws.
        Main thing is we are happy with the task it can do.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by surf54; 23-02-19, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• KPJero
          • May 2019
          • QLD

Much thanks to Teamjet.

I have been meaning to do this for awhile and finally got around to it.
          Total spent for everything was $52 and change all at bunnings. I opted for chains rather than braided wire as the braided wire at bunnings was pricey and I don't have a crimping (forget the word) tool to crimp the end of the wires into a loop. That tool alone was over $40.
          Anyways, will probably add carpet or seal it at some point but here it is.
          This project took me 2 beers in duration

Comment

• 1533rl
            • Jun 2007
            • armadale wa

Gen4 Rear Drop Down Table

Nice job. Is 2 beers a long time for you ?
            I also like the strap caddy above the bottle caddy. Clever Gen 4s eh, my G3 doesn't have that.

Cheers
            Peter

Comment

• KPJero
              • May 2019
              • QLD

Thanks mate
              Yeah I find easy access to straps is pretty handy.
              Just got some sealer from bunnings so going home to seal the plywood

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X