• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redbruce
    Administrator
    • Sep 2019
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by MitchGreggas View Post
    Looking at purchasing and installing the tradesman’s rack from Ocam. Does anyone know if I’d still fit into a 2.1m car park?
    Cheers
    Any lift or larger tyres on car?
    PCOV Member 1954
    MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer, ARB Smartbar. Stockman Extreme pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

• MitchGreggas
      • Apr 2022
      • Tasmania

Hey mate, just standard tyres and suspension.
      Sorry new to the forum and just figuring out how to use it

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Bought an Ocam flat rack a few months ago. Hadn't got around to fitting it yet because I thought I would of had to remove my storage system to access the upper plastics to get to drop the roof lining adequately. Was putting off until I had a clear day to devote to it, and not leave it half done like so many other tasks due to running out of time.

Son bought an Ocam tradey rack for his recently aquired NS. I had just finished doing some suspension bush work on it for a roadworthy and he wanted to get the rack on so we,gave it a go.
        Turned out really easy. Centre backbone was just drop the grab handles and door seal and could just sneak in with 1/4" socket to get to the nut.
        Hardest part was working around the mesh to get nuts on bolts to mount rack to backbone.
        A little bit of levering and force to,line all the holes up and all good.

So decide to give mine a go.
        Got back bone on, then went to fit the rack.

Can't get all bolt holes(slots) lined up.
        Pulled it off and started measuring to try to figure out why.

Extreme outer mounting holes are 25mm out of square.
        Still trying to figure out where or which bit has been mounted wrong, but it seems just a little bit here and little bit there all add up.

But also finding other bits that are less than ideal. One rear most mounting pad on the rack sits 6mm higher than the rest, then when I put straight edge on back bone the front and rear ends are about 5mm lower then the middle.

PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

So thought I better close of my contribution to this roof rack thread.

Took heaps of pics and measurements and emailed to Ocam.
          They responded within a day or 2 and gave me a con note number to organise pick up of the non fitting rack.
          I packaged up and advised when it was able to be picked up and got an email the next day with a tracking number for the replacement.

Once received I measured it up for square and all good.

I sat the new back bone sections in place and found they still sat about 6mm high at one end.
          I made some 3mm thick aluminium spacing shims for each end and they bolted up fairly neat.

Straight edge across top of back bone and all fairly straight and true.
          Dropped rack on and bolted up fairly easily, except........

Apart from the quality issues mentioned the biggest assembly issue is trying to fit the washers and nuts to the bolts that retain the rack to the back bone. The mesh stops you getting your hand in there, and their bent Ikea type spanner is next to useless.

All in all not to bad for the money.

With beneit of hindsight I would probably have preffered to make some feet out of heavy alu angle to bolt to the roof, then bolt a heavy alu angle rail to the feet.
          I think this might be what GoePaj might have.

I wouldn't be to worried about having a 110% bullet bullet design as the whole assembly is only bolted to the roof by 5 x 6mm bolts each side.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X