• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Battery banks could solve this problem for the majority of users, either individual banks or suburban banks or a mix of both.
    They could also simply reduce the number of base load stations which are typically coal fired and run constantly, and utilise more load following power stations which are designed to adjust power output accordingly.
    As others have stated, the government wants you to believe that we can't do without their massive coal fired power stations and green energy is evil if they don't make money out of it. Won't be long now and they'll be charging us a fee for just having the lines going past the house, irrespective of if you are connected or not.

I am under the impression that here in queersland even if you are of the grid and you have power going past your house you still pay a infrastructure fee.. Could be wrong...anyone?

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dhula
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • South of Perth

We had a 1.5kw (6x250w and 1.7kw inverter) and solar hot water (300lt storage + electric boosted) put in a while back by Solargain in Perth after doing a lot of reading (whirlpool forum gave heaps of good info and reading pleasure) and a lot of calling and getting quite a few quotes. Very happy with the quality of the install and the service provided, inducing the after sales service.
      As part of the deal we had a 2nd 1.7kw inverter installed for free at the same time. Shortly after (about 8 months later) we had a further 6x250w panels installed to the 2nd inverter so now have a total of 3kw potentially (never seen a full 3kw but have seen slightly over 1.5kw from each individual panel set from time to time tho).
      The original 6 panels+the solar hot water are north facing and the 2nd set are west facing.
      Did it like this as I like the idea of separate smaller systems in case one poo poo's itself. That way we have some kind of "free" energy until the broken one is fixed.
      Doing all this has seen a pretty substantial reduction in our bill payments, not as huge as others because we only get 8c/kw for what we put back, but it's enough to keep us happy.

I'm keen on self sufficiency via battery banks but at this stage won't be going down that route until we are ready to settle into our very last house.
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2013
        • Brisbane

Something to keep in mind, it is SES policy not to go on roofs with solar panel due to being unable to isolate the system. More important for older houses whose roofs are more likely to be damaged.
        2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Shopping Trolley View Post
          Something to keep in mind, it is SES policy not to go on roofs with solar panel due to being unable to isolate the system. More important for older houses whose roofs are more likely to be damaged.

Are you sure? The latest SES pamphlet says it will turn the mains power off at switchboard if roof is damaged and needs tarpaulin. Then advises the home owner that due to the tarp his solar system will also be a non event......This is straight from an SES home pamphlet.
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2013
            • Brisbane

Dicko

Depending on the house they can try to tarp it from the ground ie throw the ropes over and haul the tarp up. The solar panels will probably make it more difficult.

Apparently there are systems that work on thermal storage as well as PV so they may be live even without sun light.

It's all about risk assessment and hazard controlling and solar electricity is a difficult hazard to control.
            2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

I agree but I know the NSW SES do go on solar roofs and work on damaged roofs. Their safety/workplace guides allow it. I tried to find something about the Qld SES not working on roofs but there is nowhere that says a roof with solar panels is a no-go area.
              I am curious as I have solar panels and would like to know the truth. Living in a cyclone area I may need the SES one day.

I found this work advice sheet from a local SES organisation. Thiss states that they will work on solar roofs. I know this debate was raised on another forum somewhere and it was shown to be not true. The SES will work on the roof but like every situation they attend a safety first approach is taken. Just like normal mains fed power access to meter box and inverter is reqd.

cheers
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dicko1; 25-01-15, 12:12 PM.
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Brisbane

Comes down to the risk assessment. Team's training/skills. Are you near the solar system? Can it be effectively isolate? What damage to the roof? Etc etc

Just wanted people to know that with solar electricity there is a higher chance of the SES saying sorry it's not safe.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Agree with you mate. With the huge amount of solar panels throughout qld it would be opening up a can of worms for the SES if they didn't have a policy 9inplace when dealing with the solar issue. I couldn't find anything on the net and if the SES left it to a region by region policy they would be exposing themselves to huge court challengers if someone did get hurt by doing something that was deemed inappropriate. I worked for Telstra for near on 30 years and I know that all big organisations have a policy and work practice for everything. Even how to boil a jug!,

If someone can find a definitive answer I would appreciate it. If the SES are going to refuse to work on these houses (and there are tens of thousands of them) then I reckon I would be looking at a licensed electrician to have a cutoff switch near where the panels all connect, if possible.
                  Anyway , food for thought.
                  cheers
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• supazuk
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Katherine

They can be a issue for firefighters as well but as long as you know they are
                    there you can work around it. Certainly not enough of a issue to stop anyone installing solar.
                    2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by supazuk View Post
                      They can be a issue for firefighters as well but as long as you know they are
                      there you can work around it. Certainly not enough of a issue to stop anyone installing solar.

I read a few articles relating to the fieries and solar panels. Not a real concern anymore as they are aware of the issues and have developed work practices to cope. As one fiery said..."there is certainly no way we would stand by and just watch a house or building burn down because it had solar panels". Wouldn,t be a good look..

No worries. I do believe now there are systems that have addressed many of the issues fieries and the SES had.

Cheers
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• supazuk
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Katherine

I would be keen to know what southern fire services do with regardes to solar.
                        our brigade has had zero training to deal with solar I just try to be pumpie if the house has solar on it
                        2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by supazuk View Post
                          I would be keen to know what southern fire services do with regardes to solar.
                          our brigade has had zero training to deal with solar I just try to be pumpie if the house has solar on it
                          Might be a good ide to talk to your group captain or bring it up at a meeting. Tell them you don't want anecdotal info but what does the state fire brigade commission say. You never know, some people would be unaware of the potential hazard.

cheers
                          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• sub888
                            • Oct 2012
                            • Barossa Valley

Thanks for all the replies so far. We have been in the house for a week now and will wait for our first power bill to work out our power usage. The next week should give the air con a good work out with it being in the high 30's in adelaide all this week.

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sub888 View Post
                              Thanks for all the replies so far. We have been in the house for a week now and will wait for our first power bill to work out our power usage. The next week should give the air con a good work out with it being in the high 30's in adelaide all this week.
                              Lucky bugger. My air-con just quit!! Wet season up here so I,ll miss it for a week or so. $2000 plus is gunna hurt too!!...that's life..
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Georgie
                                Valued Member
                                • Sep 2013
                                • Secret Harbour WA

I have been thinking about this subject for awhile so all this talk about sola collectors and inverters I am now looking seriously at a system of 20X250 watt panels with a 5 klw inverter this retailing at $4,700.00
                                I am sure this would run our house on a daily basis with out feeding excess back to the grid the problem that I have had to over come is not a lot of north facing roof and what I do have is at the front of the house and Pam is not happy with the panels facing the street.
                                We have a two storie home with some roof facing east and some roof facing west
                                Your thoughts and comments appreciated
                                Cheers
                                Georgie
                                2015 Sahara
                                Black Mica in colour
                                BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X