• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

How to Carry Rubbish in Dirty Gear Bag on Gen4

How are people getting around not being able to put their dirty gear bags over the spare wheel carrier? I didn't think about that when I bought the NW :-( don't want to carry my rubbish inside and preferably not on the roof as I'll be sleeping up there.
    Last edited by my.paj; 03-09-14, 01:08 PM. Reason: Title Change
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

I have only ever camped with my NT with people who have utes or used the esky. Now with a fridge I'm not sure, it's one of the reasons I wanted an NP but my wife wasn't having any of that unfortunately.

Don't know how I'd carry a bin bag on the roof unless I strapped a spare wheel bag to the roof rack or got a custom made canvas carrier the size of bin bags?

The only way I've come up with is similar to a safari Pajero that's in SA. That is, custom steel real bumper, mount number plate on bumper, remove spare wheel trim (this has the added bonus of allowing larger tyres on the spare), make custom covers where the wheel trim was on the door and fit a dirty gear bag to the tyre. Probably the most expensive dirty gear bag you could get

Probably a good place to start looking into is what other people are using with cars like 200 series cruisers or grand cherokees etc that have the spare wheel fitted under the car?
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• TC.Barky
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2011
      • Melbourne

Yeah that's all I could come up with as well. Gonna be a real problem on longer trips. Can't imagine doing the CSR or something with a weeks worth of rubbish all in the back. Peee-eww
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

Wonder if there is some kind of bracket I can hang off the spare wheel that has something to hang the bag off. Just needs to be a pole sticking out I spose. Bag would have to sit on the hinge side of the tyre. Hmmmm. Though I guess it would block the lights, damn

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Is it possible to position a long bag/container on top of the spare wheel, perhaps using straps or a bracket mounted from inside the spare wheel mounting? It would restrict rear vision, depending on how large it needs to be.

Is it possible to remove the side plastic trim on the right side of the spare wheel & fix a bag/container there? Or make up a bracket to place a bag/container in that area?

Another option may be somewhere under the car (away from exhaust/hot bits), using a metal cage/basket of some sort to hold the rubbish?

If you don't have a dual battery, what about the space under the hood near the firewall? (the heat means only non combustible items could go here, eg, cans & bottles without labels, etc)

Not an easy one to solve!
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

Might be too obvious for a spare wheel, but did you think of using one those hard covers and to mount a bin on it?
            Simply unclip the whole cover when you don't use it or want to empty the bin.
            Of course it would cost a few bucks but might be a product worth promoting
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
            Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
              Is it possible to position a long bag/container on top of the spare wheel, perhaps using straps or a bracket mounted from inside the spare wheel mounting? It would restrict rear vision, depending on how large it needs to be.

Is it possible to remove the side plastic trim on the right side of the spare wheel & fix a bag/container there? Or make up a bracket to place a bag/container in that area?

Another option may be somewhere under the car (away from exhaust/hot bits), using a metal cage/basket of some sort to hold the rubbish?

If you don't have a dual battery, what about the space under the hood near the firewall? (the heat means only non combustible items could go here, eg, cans & bottles without labels, etc)

Not an easy one to solve!
              Hah some out of the box solutions there, I like your style. I'll come up with something. Probably something that sits on top of the wheel. We'll see

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Not overly familiar with the covers for the spare wheels (never dealt with them), but for your trips can you just take it off and put the gear bag on the exposed spare?????

Or is that too easy of a solution, you've already thought about it and it isn't possible???
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                  Not overly familiar with the covers for the spare wheels (never dealt with them), but for your trips can you just take it off and put the gear bag on the exposed spare?????

Or is that too easy of a solution, you've already thought about it and it isn't possible???
                  Thought about it, unfortunately fog light, reversing can and number plate are all on the outer shell

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Might be some merit in this thought - is it possible to remove the swing cover & replace with some steel tube/frame to hold the number plate, light, camera & rubbish bag? The new frame could be bolted to the spare wheel mount through the wheel to carry the weight.
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• TC.Barky
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                      Might be some merit in this thought - is it possible to remove the swing cover & replace with some steel tube/frame to hold the number plate, light, camera & rubbish bag? The new frame could be bolted to the spare wheel mount through the wheel to carry the weight.
                      Certainly possible. Prefer not to though as I like the look of the default wheel carrier unfortunately. Only reason I'd change it is to do a rear bar with swingaway carriers I think.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Adelaide

Ive been thinking about this issue for over 12 months now.... and still thinking!!!

A mate with an NS just chucks it on and doesnt worry about the legalities of obscuring numberplate etc... But puts it inside the car when on road (defeats purpose)

I'm more worried about scratching up the shiny plastic!! Otherwise i'd just get a spare plate made up and cable tie it to the front of the bag...

There really isnt enough room to offset it to the hinge side, like you said, it would cover the lights? And up above would just be a pain to put anything in it!!!

Would be nice if a gen 3 rear door was a straight swap, but they dont look like it....
                        | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                        | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                        | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                        | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• JoshF
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Brisbane

as my spare wheel cover was already damaged I just ignore having rub marks all the standard ones (I have the SCA one) make and thrown the bag on the back. works very well for dirty gear or rubbish
                          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• kibz
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Melb, Victoria

Maybe a spare number plate on the bag and plastidip your wheel cover the same colour to save it from scratches.
                            Cheers,
                            Paul

Comment

• 02-SR5
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • Toowoomba

Cant be that hard to make, its just a canvas bag with straps and clips.

Why not just hit the local canvas place up and get one made to fit your factory wheel cover.

Be better quality than any of the Chinese rubbish and it will suit your needs as it is your design.

Thats what I would do.
                              MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X