Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 31-12-10

Default Side Steps - How tough are they?

I've been fortunate on my 4WD adventures not to hook up on my side steps so far.
Having a previous 4WD with mega sliders, I used to give them a pounding without any concern, however, I'm cautious with the body mounted steps on the Challenger.
Question is, has anyone inadvertently had the opportunity to test the strength/durability of the Challenger steps, and how did they hold up?

Cheers,
Carl
Old 31-12-10

More decoration than functional.
Old 31-12-10
Valued Member

Talking They only do two things...

...reduces stone-chipping + helps your kids climb in.
Don't expect them to do anything more!

Cheers

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
Old 31-12-10
Administrator

Usually first to kiss goodbye on a good track.
Dave
Old 01-01-11

agree. my experiance with them is they are stronger then the alloy platform type side step but they still only bolt to the body and not the chassis rail. I've already bent one side up once so will be replacing them with sliders this year.
Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...
Old 01-01-11
Valued Member

I have seen these type of steps destroyed on other vehicles so would not like to hit anything with them at all.

I would like to fit sliders but would like to know the effect on the side impact for the airbags. Would sliders actually be legal on a vehicle fitted with side airbags? Given that front bars have to be airbag compatible I would like any opinion, facts about the legal side of things.

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.
Old 02-01-11
Valued Member

I have given mine a few good hits. I feel they are quite a lot stronger than the Triton aluminum ones. I still would not wish to weigh the whole car on them tho. Maybe somebody will develop the sliders soon. I would purchase them (what haven't I purchased ) and could not really see that they would alter the air bags to greatly. IMO the more steel between me and the next guy the better!
Old 02-01-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballfyboy View Post
Maybe somebody will develop the sliders soon. I would purchase them (what haven't I purchased ) and could not really see that they would alter the air bags to greatly. IMO the more steel between me and the next guy the better!
I've have beached mine on the side step.. nothing a 2 man bounce couldnt fix... But they are better then the old alloy steps.

APT fabrications in Tingalpa will do up a custom set fitted for $700. They do a good job too, a mate just got some done for his cruiser - very nice and I think on the challenger their is an inch or so clearance to be gained!
Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...