• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

roof cage mounted water tank install

Hi all,

As part of my 'camper' build in the back of the Paj, I've been keen to come up with a solution to carrying some additional water.
    If I'm towing the caravan, it has it's own 80l water tank, but when I'm camping otherwise without the van and heading a little more remote, I needed a way to cart water that wasn't going to take up valuable space within the rear of the vehicle.

I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and pick up a slim line 35L water tank off gumtree from a local seller for 100bucks.
    They normally retail about 350ish
    The tank is nice and flat giving plenty of options for placement.

unfortunately the filler and both drain holes are all at the one end making filling vs usage quite difficult.
    Unless perfectly flat you either can't fill it or can't get water out of it.
    To fill it needs to be tilted downwards away from the filler but to use it, you need to tilt it backward towards the filler.
    In the end I elevated it sideways with the filler higher and the drain on the opposite side lower.

It's not perfect but it works.
    It is also baffled which is nice, to stop the water moving around too much. Still either full or empty is probably the best option when mobile.

Since I added solar panels to the roof cage, I can no longer use it for carrying items but this small tank makes use of that wasted space.
    This pic is from the install with one of the panels flipped back onto the other one, but you get the idea.

I routed the hose off to the rear of the vehicle on the passenger side under the rack.

I may end up running a longer hose but for now this is a work in progress.
    I'd be interest in others roof top tank installs if you have pics or want to share.

Whilst I'd prefer to have my weight low, I figure 35L is worth the bit of extra weight considering I won't be carrying anything else up there.
    Overall, I'm happy with the results for now but I think this will go through a few changes before I'm totally happy with it.

As always, here's the vid

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
  • Turorit
    • Oct 2016
    • Adelaide

Cool setup mate Do you use it for drinking or cooking/cleaning?

Does it get warm enough in the sun for shower?

I consider building a PVC pipe tank attached to the rack but decided it wasn't worth the money and effort for such little capacity

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
    --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• denmonkey
      • Oct 2017
      • Newcastle NSW

cheers mate.

I only got it up there last week, so have spent this week driving around with it half full to see if the water moving around would be noticeable.

It aint

I'm heading away in a few weeks out west and will get to see how it goes in the heat.

As yet, i can't tell ya.

Mainly it's going to be my back up but I've got plans to use it with my hot water heater and build a shower unit to hang off the side of the cage when camping.

I've got some ideas but nothing firm yet.

I will be using it for drinking if I need to but mainly washing hands and the like most of the time.

I do like those pvc set ups but they're not baffled like this one is, so I'm not sure how the water movement in them would be when traveling.

Only one way to find out though.

and yeah, that size pvc aint cheap.

Comment

• twitchie88
        • Feb 2019
        • Berwick Victoria

Mate thats a great indepth video too awesome job! And got yaself a new sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

I like it a lot.... I have a 40l PVC pipe tank (150d just over 2meters long) with a coil for solar heating on it, gets a nice temp and good for a quick rinse or supplies water for dishes etc. It is drinkable if needed but I also carry seperate drinking water as well whenever I go out I normally work on about 10l per person per day for water consumption all up of course longer trips will always need top ups or other ideas.
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X