• Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Home security video systems

Looking at getting something basic like this:

I've had a squiz at a manual but without really sitting down and actually messing with it with the gear in hand, it confuses me!

Now, for anyone who has bought a system like this, what's the go?
    Just locate them where you want and run the cables basically?
    Do I need to connect it to a monitor/tv to be able to just record, or is it only for setup/playback that it needs the monitor
    How long does 500gb typically record for (real experience, non-brochure sales pitch thanks) before looping over itself - a day/week/month?
    Does the cord to the camera carry power with it as well or is it a separate line? I can't figure that one out...
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • gunsrunner
    • May 2008
    • Perth

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
    Looking at getting something basic like this:

I've had a squiz at a manual but without really sitting down and actually messing with it with the gear in hand, it confuses me!

Now, for anyone who has bought a system like this, what's the go?
    Just locate them where you want and run the cables basically? Yes , video and power cables
    Do I need to connect it to a monitor/tv to be able to just record, or is it only for setup/playback that it needs the monitor Setup and playback, on mine I can log in by web browser to do both of these as well. I have also hooked up the video output to a second input on a splitter booster for the TV's in the house, so you can use any TV as a monitor. Wife likes being able to check cameras if she hears a noise.
    How long does 500gb typically record for (real experience, non-brochure sales pitch thanks) before looping over itself - a day/week/month?I get about 2 weeks of recording on a 1 terra hard drive, but it depends on the recording quality and number of cameras. I have 8, set to D1 quality 720 tv lines.
    Does the cord to the camera carry power with it as well or is it a separate line? I can't figure that one out...No, there is a seperate power line and transformers.
    Had ours for 5 years now, payed $500 of ebay from china. Took a lot of mucking around to find programs and get it working properly. Can also log in on our phones from anywhere.
    MY14 VRX 3.2D Auto|OL Premium post bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Int/Sump | Rhino platform 42102B | 2.5x2.1 Oztrail | HD Parkside Hitch | Grande 17x8 | 697 A/T 265/65R17LT | Flexitank 140L | Primus 92L DZone | Rhino Luggage bag | Maxtrax | 10.1" tablet | Redarc SBI12, BCDC1240LV, TowPro | Century N70T | Fullriver DC105-12 | 120w Light bar | 7"HID 100w | CAT3 ERP | ARB CKMA12 | Alpine MRVT1000, MRVF540 | MBQuart DSC216 x 2 | Alpine SWR-1221 x2 | Enough cable, switches to run a city

Comment

• kerway
      • Aug 2010
      • North West Sydney

Hey Alex86,
      Like you I had no idea how to set it up so youtube became my friend. Found this and it helped heaps.

MyNew HD System! https://youtu.be/V1--bRvva98Twitter @Locobooff ask me questions!this is a unboxing and review on the Swann 8 Channel 960H Security System ...

Ended up buying an 8 camera one from Officeworks of all places,
      It has a 1TB hardrive which with the 6 cameras I have installed so far, took about a month before it started looping over itself.
      Having a monitor is the easiest way to do changes and check recordings.
      After install, just needs a Cat 6? cable run from the hard drive to your wireless modem and you can download the App from Swann.
      Its all plug and play so pretty easy. Helps that I'm a sparky though so used to running cables

Best advise I can give is, watch the youtube video. Guys a bit strange but he shows it pretty well.
      cheers
      kerway
      Last edited by kerway; 06-04-15, 08:04 PM.
      NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

Have you guys ever needed some footage for something?
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• kerway
          • Aug 2010
          • North West Sydney

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
          Not since I installed it. We had a period where some sh%% for brains was banging on our garage doors at night even when we were home. Yes, I have lights out the front but didnt stop him. Did we have CCTV was the first thing the police asked when the wife rang them.
          Also makes it better for her since I'm a shiftworker and she spends a lot of time at home at night by herself. She can be in bed and check noises out the front on her I-dingus. Also handy when we're away for a few days.
          Cheap piece of mind for her
          NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• Maximage
            • Mar 2013
            • Darch, Perth, WA

If you are quick, can get it cheaper here: http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/even...343652/?e=tech

They state they are refurb, however I just bought this one a few days ago along with a pure digital HD on for myself, and the refurb one was brand new unopened, whether you will get that no guarantees. If you search Swann soon there, they also have a non-refurb one for $50 more.

The ones with black camera seem to be analogue connections using BNC, recorded digitally, whereas the white cameras seem to be full digital with ethernet connecting the cameras to the base.

Haven't installed yet, however have opened the box and all looks quite straight forward, just need an adapter board in the roof to split out the power point I have up there to run everything.
            Last edited by Maximage; 06-04-15, 08:56 PM.
            SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
              I used mine in court to prove my neighbours stupidity.
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Plenty of recent break in activity around here so keen to get something just in case. Even if it just ends up being a visible deterrent, that's worth it.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out in the morning sometime. I'm sure it won't be all that hard, they've gotta make them somewhat simple for people to install I suppose.
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Pajaru
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Perth

I fitted a 8 camera swann system which I can connect to via the internet to check on the house. Friends also check but with the remote access gives me peace of mind.
                  Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
                  To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel

Comment

• Georgie
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Secret Harbour WA

We Have just fitted an 6 camera Swann which appears to be the best at this time on the market I had it supplied and installed for $1600.00 which included the monitor and hard drive some was here all day and its a two storey house the cameras are the latest digital and are hard wired the clarity in colour is very good and no problems recognizing people even at night when the cameras revert to black and white the clarity is great where they worth ? we would say yes as the recorded footage has been used against the tenants from hell across the road the owners and agent would not believe what the tenants were getting up to until we showed the footage the tenants have now been evicted so lets hope the agent picks better people next time the hard drive is 1 TB and appears to record over itself in about a month but the cameras are picking up a lot of movement from passing traffic and our palm trees that are moving in the breeze
                    Cheers
                    Georgie
                    2015 Sahara
                    Black Mica in colour
                    BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• Quinnie
                      • Feb 2014
                      • Doreen

I look at plenty of recorded CCTV footage for work and the one piece of advice I would give for anyone who installs a system is to check the quality of the recorded/playback footage Vs watching live footage. If all you want is a system that lets you look on your monitor (at home or remotely) to see what is going on outside then it's doesn't matter so much, but if you are unfortunate enough to be the victim of a crime, and you want any chance of identifying the crooks, then the recorded image is what is important. I've seen plenty of business that have spent $1000's on CCTV and the recordings are useless when it comes to identifying an individual or a number plate etc.
                      2014 NW Pajero

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X