• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacksails
    • Oct 2020
    • Iceland

2002 Montero Limited 3.5L oil leak.

Hi guys

Ive had an oil leak in my Monty for a while now and have never been able to locate it.
    I have a fair amount of white smoke coming out the back of the car but I’m not loosing water, so I think it’s probably just a little more condensation than usual (living in Iceland).

The car isn’t using a huge amount of oil but more than I’d like, it needs regular top ups.
    I’ve found caked up oil on the bottom of the hose coming from the steering pump.
    I’ve also recently found oil on the sump. Hidden away in a hard to reach area at the front of the sump. I hoping it’s not the sump gasket as that looks a right pain to get to, but I’m pretty sure the oil is coming from above the gasket anyway. No drips, but it’s moist. Also, found oil on the underside of the exhaust manifold, gathered around the third bolt back.
    Rear cam seals replaced so I know it’s not that.

Any suggestions?
    Pics of the sump attached
    Attached Files
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Blacksails View Post
    Hi guys

Ive had an oil leak in my Monty for a while now and have never been able to locate it.
    I have a fair amount of white smoke coming out the back of the car but I’m not loosing water, so I think it’s probably just a little more condensation than usual (living in Iceland).

The car isn’t using a huge amount of oil but more than I’d like, it needs regular top ups.
    I’ve found caked up oil on the bottom of the hose coming from the steering pump.
    I’ve also recently found oil on the sump. Hidden away in a hard to reach area at the front of the sump. I hoping it’s not the sump gasket as that looks a right pain to get to, but I’m pretty sure the oil is coming from above the gasket anyway. No drips, but it’s moist. Also, found oil on the underside of the exhaust manifold, gathered around the third bolt back.
    Rear cam seals replaced so I know it’s not that.

Any suggestions?
    Pics of the sump attached

Sounds like the camshaft seals are leaking. They get hard after a while and this area gets very hot as well, so I suspect that you may have to remove the timing belt and the camshaft pulleys and replace the seals. If you are losing that much oil from there, the timing belt will probably be stuffed as well, and need replacing.

Comment

• Blacksails
      • Oct 2020
      • Iceland

Originally posted by erad View Post
      Sounds like the camshaft seals are leaking. They get hard after a while and this area gets very hot as well, so I suspect that you may have to remove the timing belt and the camshaft pulleys and replace the seals. If you are losing that much oil from there, the timing belt will probably be stuffed as well, and need replacing.
      Thanks man.

Isn’t oil on the alternator a big sign that the front cam seals are shot? My alternator is bone dry, not a drop of oil.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Oil at the front of the engine can come from the cam seals, the rocker covers, the crankshaft seal or the oil pump/filter area, so it has to be at least one of these places.

Comment

• Blacksails
          • Oct 2020
          • Iceland

Originally posted by erad View Post
          Oil at the front of the engine can come from the cam seals, the rocker covers, the crankshaft seal or the oil pump/filter area, so it has to be at least one of these places.
          Nice. Rocker gaskets are new and it’s dry around the outer edge of the seal so I’m confident it’s not them. I’ll take the timing cover off and have a poke around the cams and crank. Thanks man

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X