• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MagpieAir
    • Mar 2016
    • Anna Bay

NP Pajero Auto Gear Shift Shaft Insert.

Afternoon All.

In the process of installing a new radio to the tug and taking out and replacing console panels etc, I have broken the plastic rod which enables the shifting of the gear control. None in Oz and have to be sourced from Japan - couple of weeks delay. I have read that some of you have replaced this with alternatives but what I need info on from you guru's is how to remove the broken shaft, have a look at the alternatives already used and if necessary, replace it with the new one. Price for insert is approx $15.

Thanks so much for any guidance and information.

Kindest,

Magpie Air
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Here are some ideas https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=60966
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• MagpieAir
      • Mar 2016
      • Anna Bay

Thanks VM Rugga. Had a look at the suggestions but no one describes how they dismantled and replaced the plastic rod. Is it screwed in or locked in some other way?? The existing rod had broken off neatly at the top of the gear lever.

Comment

• RUGGA
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by MagpieAir View Post
        Thanks VM Rugga. Had a look at the suggestions but no one describes how they dismantled and replaced the plastic rod. Is it screwed in or locked in some other way?? The existing rod had broken off neatly at the top of the gear lever.
        It just pulls out, give it a try.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Mine has been in use for over 3 years with the brass rod. The broken original piece should just fall out.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• MagpieAir
            • Mar 2016
            • Anna Bay

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            Mine has been in use for over 3 years with the brass rod. The broken original piece should just fall out.
            Thanks Dicko1. Can you remember how long you made the new rod??. The old rod feels as though it is locked in somehow as it won't just pull out. There is such a small purchase area on the in-lever piece that I may have to 're-arrange' the end in getting it out. Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Thanks Dicko1. Can you remember how long you made the new rod??. The old rod feels as though it is locked in somehow as it won't just pull out. There is such a small purchase area on the in-lever piece that I may have to 're-arrange' the end in getting it out. Thanks for your assistance.

I would say the end is jammed in. Get a pair of long noised pliers and pull it out. Use this as the guide to cut your new length. Ensure the new one has a slightly rounded top and is smooth to stop it sticking in place. Through trial and error mine also stuck until I got the right surface finish. . When you have finished it should fall out easily every time. I think my length was around 55mm...however I would use your old one as a template for length...
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• RUGGA
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2014
                • Adelaide

Dicko1. Can you remember how long you made the new rod??. .
                The answer is in other thread that I linked -

Edit - this is Dickos fix

""My fix...

I purchased a length of 4mm brass rod. The piece of white plastic rod (the original) that broke off measured 55mm. It was slightly under 4mm in thickness. I used some wet and dry emery paper to bring the brass rod down from 4mm diameter to about 3.7mm diameter... When I installed the brass rod back into the black shroud that fits in the gear lever change grip I had to also make sure the ends of the brass road were smooth and not a sharp finish, otherwise it got stuck. After about 2 years it is working well and I removed it this morning to take the length measurement and the diameter. No signs of wear anywhere...as I would expect. I would also suggest that using 3.5mm brass rod would also work. 3.5mm is easier to buy and would save sanding. I tried superglue but to no avail. The brass rod fix is cheap, quick and will last forever. Good luck

edit....another possibility if your pushed for time....Use a drill bit (say 3.7mm) and carefully grind down the drill end. The end that goes into the drill chuck should already be a nice smooth rounded end..""

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

What gear is the trans in? Perhaps try putting it in neutral or D - a gear that can be pushed into another gear without the lock out function needed or applied, this might release any "bite" affect that is holding onto the plastic rod - it does just lift out normally.

Comment

• hill373737
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Bateau Bay

I broke mine about 12 months ago and have been running on a superglue repair. After seeing this thread, I decided to replace the glued rod with a brass rod.

I used pliers on the lower piece and couldn't get it to budge - tried it in P, N and D. I'm concerned I might make a bad situation worse if I break the rod off lower down - at the moment I have about 6 mm above the metal tube to work with.

Any more tips on how to remove it? thanks.
                    2015 NX, couple of batteries connected with Traxide SC80, Boos Bash Plates, retro NW nudge bar, Pirelli Scorpions, airbags!!

Comment

• MartinDanger
                      • Aug 2020
                      • Margaret River

A bit late reply, but the two screws that hold the gear selector knob onto the gear selector shaft can, if screwed too tight, hold onto that plastic rod.

Originally posted by hill373737 View Post
                      I broke mine about 12 months ago and have been running on a superglue repair. After seeing this thread, I decided to replace the glued rod with a brass rod.

I used pliers on the lower piece and couldn't get it to budge - tried it in P, N and D. I'm concerned I might make a bad situation worse if I break the rod off lower down - at the moment I have about 6 mm above the metal tube to work with.

Any more tips on how to remove it? thanks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X