• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brickiematt
    • Feb 2013
    • Melbourne

Replacing rear shocks on NT

G'day all
    I'm replacing both rear shocks on my NT this weekend and just have a few questions.
    Will i need to drop the lower control arm to remove the old shocks, or will they come out as is? I am only replacing the shocks, not the springs.
    Also, will i need to grease the new bushes, and if so, what sort of grease? They are rubber bushes.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers
    Matt
    2010 NT GLS 3.2 DiD; Ironbark; D697 A/T's; Piranha DBS; TJM T13 front bar; TJM XGS Gold suspension; Narva Ultima 225's........more to come!
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

G'Day Matt.
    No and no

If the new shocks have a strap keeping them closed, don't cut it till you get them in position.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

As Matt has said, install the bushes dry and the shocks can be replaced by just undoing the nut at the top and the bolt at the bottom of the shockers. Quick and easy - dont even need to jack up the vehicle.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Morville
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2008
        • Buxton Vic

Another point to remember, do not fully tighten any bolts until all the vehicle weight is on the wheels and on the ground, otherwise suspension bushes can be damaged if tightened when wheels are at full droop.
        Peter

Comment

• Hungie
          • Jan 2015
          • NSW Central Coast

Make sure you get a rubber compatible grease such as red rubber grease. Don't use normal petroleum based grease on rubber parts. It causes the rubber to swell and breakdown.
          03 NP Exceed 3.5 V6 petrol auto, 2 inch Lovells / Bilstein lift, 15mm poly spacer in rear, 8mm alloy strut spacer in front (total 3" lift) 16x8 Ballistic Jester alloys 0 offset, 33" (285/75/16) Atturo Trail Blade M/T's, 2.5 exhaust with Advance extractors into high flow steel CAT and tri-flow muffler & resonator

Comment

• brickiematt
            • Feb 2013
            • Melbourne

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated 👍
            Turns out ive got to work this weekend, so will have to wait til next week

Cheers
            Matt
            2010 NT GLS 3.2 DiD; Ironbark; D697 A/T's; Piranha DBS; TJM T13 front bar; TJM XGS Gold suspension; Narva Ultima 225's........more to come!

Comment

• brickiematt
              • Feb 2013
              • Melbourne

Got the job done today. Was easy, except for the nuts on the lower mounting bolts; they were on bloody tight, and with not much room for leverage it took a bit to budge them.
              The rear drivers side shock was stuffed (covered in oil), and I can really feel the difference with the new ones in.
              Thanks again for the advice.
              Cheers
              Matt

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X