• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Traveller43
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Perth, WA

Flinders Ranges to Lake Eyre

Well the Paj is almost finished with the mods and my mind has switched to trip planning. We are off to the Flinders Ranges and Lake Eyre from Perth in 3 weeks.

I know most of what I want to do and that includes spending some time at Arkaroola and do the Sky Trek.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get through from Arkaroola directly to Leigh Creek or Lyndhurst without having to back track towards Wirrealpa and Blinman. It's not a huge issue but it would save a bit of time if it were possible and provide new stuff to see.

John
    Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket
  • dean
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007

Yes you can get from Arkaroola to Leigh Creek on a good unsealed road. Are you aware of the Cooper Creek ferry and it's history ? If coming all the way from WA you may want to check this while in the area.
    Dean
    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Traveller43
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Perth, WA

Originally posted by dean View Post
      Yes you can get from Arkaroola to Leigh Creek on a good unsealed road. Are you aware of the Cooper Creek ferry and it's history ? If coming all the way from WA you may want to check this while in the area.
      Dean
      If I get the time I definitely will. However I have read that it doesn't transport cars and trailers. It's a long way to go see a ferry and not be able to use it.

John
      Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Dean
        This.

From Arkaroola, head out to Balcanoona, then west to Copley - say 2 hours. Alternatively, if you have a little more time, there's a back track that heads west from Arkaroola, then south on the western side of the Gammon Ranges. You may have to open & close a few gates along the way, but it's pretty easy going - allow 4 hours. Lunch at the Quandong Cafe in Copley.

Have you thought about Lake Eyre flights? I firmly believe that Doug Sprigg at Arkaroola will give you the best experience, but it will also be longest and most expensive. I did a 90 minute flight out of Marree that I thought was pretty good, for $280. There was also a helicopter operating a 15minute circuit from the Cooper ferry, $85pp, 2 person minimum (this doesn't cover Lake Eyre).
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Traveller43
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Perth, WA

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          This.

From Arkaroola, head out to Balcanoona, then west to Copley - say 2 hours. Alternatively, if you have a little more time, there's a back track that heads west from Arkaroola, then south on the western side of the Gammon Ranges. You may have to open & close a few gates along the way, but it's pretty easy going - allow 4 hours. Lunch at the Quandong Cafe in Copley.

Have you thought about Lake Eyre flights? I firmly believe that Doug Sprigg at Arkaroola will give you the best experience, but it will also be longest and most expensive. I did a 90 minute flight out of Marree that I thought was pretty good, for $280. There was also a helicopter operating a 15minute circuit from the Cooper ferry, $85pp, 2 person minimum (this doesn't cover Lake Eyre).
          We'll be stopping over at William Creek on the way from Coober Pedy on the way to the Flinders (so in reality my question should have been does anyone know of a straight line way to get to Arkaroola from Leigh Creek. ) and I know they do flights from there.

I don't mind what the flights cost but would be keen to know if anyone can recommend the best experience in terms of a comprehensive view of Lake Eyre and the best wildlife/birdlife viewing.

John
          Cheers

John

Comment

• dean
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Traveller43 View Post
            If I get the time I definitely will. However I have read that it doesn't transport cars and trailers. It's a long way to go see a ferry and not be able to use it.

John
            No problems with both cars and trailers providing the total length does not exceed 9.8m.
            Dean
            NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Traveller43
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Perth, WA

No problems with both cars and trailers providing the total length does not exceed 9.8m.
              Dean
              OK, cool. Thanks for that information. Might be a detour to Birdsville on the cards then.
              Cheers

John

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Dean
                When we were there, a trayback was carting a Kimberley Kamper across for the trailer owner - car/trailer combo was too long. I believe the truck operator was also the Cooper Discoverer cruises operator, if that helps track it down?
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dean
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  When we were there, a trayback was carting a Kimberley Kamper across for the trailer owner - car/trailer combo was too long. I believe the truck operator was also the Cooper Discoverer cruises operator, if that helps track it down?
                  Yeh that's correct, about $80 I think.
                  Dean

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X