Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopaj View Post
Thatís great progress!

Iíve personally had this code and worked through the fault finding procedure.

This will help - http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...9/index_M1.htm
(Go to Diesel Fuel, Trouble Shooting, Inspection chart for trouble codes, then look up P0192)

Do you have a Scangauge or similar than can display real time fuel pressure?

With mine, I discovered that, even though the engine was running, fuel rail press was 0psi (but the engine canít run with 0psi so I deducted that was either a problem with the actual sensor, or the wiring loom). One mine, I checked the continuity of the loom and it was fine. With the engine running I then lightly tapped the fuel rail pressure sensor with a spanner. Immediately I got an appropriate fuel pressure reading but only for a short while. I then deduced that the actual sensor had failed and replaced the sensor which solved my problem. I think the sensor was about $100-$150 (aftermarket) from Hi Tech Diesel and I replaced it myself.

That was 23,000km ago and I havenít had a problem since however I would strongly suggest working through the diagnosis process because you may have another problem causing the code.

ps - I would say itís unrelated to your beach trip.
Thanks for the great advice! I set up real time monitoring and recording of the fuel rail pressure and took her for another drive - after clearing the codes again. (as an aside: my $6 OBD scanner is working beautifully &#128076. Drove for 5km, heavy right foot up steep hills, stopping and accelerating hard in order to induce limp mode again: and she drove flawlessly! Can't get limp mode to reappear. So I'm stumped, and I've lost a bit of faith in my vehicle because I don't want this issue to happen on the highway or hundreds of km from home. Could it have been a connection that's dried out over the last few days? Only thing I can think of 🤔
Old 3 Days Ago

Update: went into limp mode again with the same codes as before (turbo pressure and fuel rail pressure sensor). Looks like single data points, and the car didn't stall. So I'm assuming it's a sensor fault or electrical contact fault?
Old 3 Days Ago

Cleaned the terminals (they looked corroded) of the fuel rail pressure sensor connector. Now I'm getting P0093 (major fuel leak) and it's running very pulps it, nearly stalling at idle. This is just getting worse haha
Old 2 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Cleaned the terminals (they looked corroded) of the fuel rail pressure sensor connector. Now I'm getting P0093 (major fuel leak) and it's running very pulps it, nearly stalling at idle. This is just getting worse haha
Both are probably related and both can be caused by the fuel rail pressure sensor or the fuel rail pressure sensor connector. Have you touched any of the fuel system? If not, it is unlikely that a leak has just started.

As I alluded to before, clear the codes, wait for them to re-appear, then check the real time fuel rail pressure with the engine running (and post the outcome please).

Also, (clear the codes again first) what happens if you disconnect the fuel rail pressure sensor and start the engine? Obviously it will throw a code or 2 but doe sit run better.

Here are the Mitsubishi diagnostic flow charts for both codes
P0093
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...0028300ENG.HTM

P0192
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...0029300ENG.HTM

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 2 Days Ago
Valued Member

Probably not the issue, but check the engine oil level isn't overfull, just to ensure there isn't a fuel leak inside the rocker cover from the fuel lines.
Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Both are probably related and both can be caused by the fuel rail pressure sensor or the fuel rail pressure sensor connector. Have you touched any of the fuel system? If not, it is unlikely that a leak has just started.

As I alluded to before, clear the codes, wait for them to re-appear, then check the real time fuel rail pressure with the engine running (and post the outcome please).

Also, (clear the codes again first) what happens if you disconnect the fuel rail pressure sensor and start the engine? Obviously it will throw a code or 2 but doe sit run better.

Here are the Mitsubishi diagnostic flow charts for both codes
P0093
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...0028300ENG.HTM

P0192
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...0029300ENG.HTM
Just tried running her with the fuel rail pressure sensor disconnected as you suggested - running much smoother. So looks like I have a diagnosis. Really appreciate the help! And I've attached a screenshot of the fuel rail pressure sensor output when I was putting my foot down, causing it to go into limp mode. From the graph, I'm assuming it's a sensor issue due to the instantaneous (apparent) drop in pressure, followed by an instantaneous return to where it should be.

Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot01 View Post
Probably not the issue, but check the engine oil level isn't overfull, just to ensure there isn't a fuel leak inside the rocker cover from the fuel lines.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 2 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Just tried running her with the fuel rail pressure sensor disconnected as you suggested - running much smoother. So looks like I have a diagnosis. Really appreciate the help! And I've attached a screenshot of the fuel rail pressure sensor output when I was putting my foot down, causing it to go into limp mode. From the graph, I'm assuming it's a sensor issue due to the instantaneous (apparent) drop in pressure, followed by an instantaneous return to where it should be.
I’m happy to help.

I’m not sure we have a 100% diagnosis yet, be we are definitely making progress and are in the right area (it’s a lot harder to diagnose problems via the internet compared to having direct access to the vehicle).

I have a few more questions (sorry!) after reviewing the data log. I’m suspecting either the fuel rail sensor, or the fuel rail sensor connector (as before) but am also wondering if it could be the fuel rail pressure release valve (when they become worn, they ‘blow off’ early and release fuel rail pressure at a lower level - once they have ‘blown off’ a few times, which some chips can cause, the internal spring looses tension).

I just took mine for a quick spin to compare... at idle my fuel rail pressure is approx 4,300psi (30,000kPa) and will briefly rise to 23,000psi (158,579kPa) at full throttle with low RPM. Yours appears to release fuel rail pressure at 18,854psi (120,000kPa), release rail pressure to 0, and then allow pressure to build again.

I should have asked this earlier, but does it (or has it ever had) a chip?

Does it only loose fuel rail pressure short moments during heavy acceleration, or can it occur for extended periods? Can you cause it to fault constantly with the same conditions (ie during heavy acceleration)? It would be interesting to take it for a drive round the block while watching home the fuel rail pressure reacts.

Is there any evidence of an actual fuel leak (external fuel dampness or an increase in engine oil level)?

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 2 Days Ago at 09:54 PM.
Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Iím happy to help.

Iím not sure we have a 100% diagnosis yet, be we are definitely making progress and are in the right area (itís a lot harder to diagnose problems via the internet compared to having direct access to the vehicle).

I have a few more questions (sorry!) after reviewing the data log. Iím suspecting either the fuel rail sensor, or the fuel rail sensor connector (as before) but am also wondering if it could be the fuel rail pressure release valve (when they become worn, they Ďblow offí early and release fuel rail pressure at a lower level - once they have Ďblown offí a few times, which some chips can cause, the internal spring looses tension).

I just took mine for a quick spin to compare... at idle my fuel rail pressure is approx 4,300psi (30,000kPa) and will briefly rise to 23,000psi (158,579kPa) at full throttle with low RPM. Yours appears to release fuel rail pressure at 18,854psi (120,000kPa), release rail pressure to 0, and then allow pressure to build again.

I should have asked this earlier, but does it (or has it ever had) a chip?

Does it only loose fuel rail pressure short moments during heavy acceleration, or can it occur for extended periods? Can you cause it to fault constantly with the same conditions (ie during heavy acceleration)? It would be interesting to take it for a drive round the block while watching home the fuel rail pressure reacts.

Is there any evidence of an actual fuel leak (external fuel dampness or an increase in engine oil level)?
I have some more logged data, perhaps that will help shed some more light?

And in this log I was accelerating hard, but had no issues:

Interesting point about the pressure relief valve! Is there any way to test it other than process of elimination, and is it difficult to replace if necessary?

I don't believe it has a chip, though I can't vouch for the previous owner.

The issue does tend to occur on acceleration, though not consistently (as shown in the log above). And this may be a coincidence, but it's also occurred twice upon dropping off of high curbs.

No evidence of fuel leaking that I can see, and oil level appears normal.

Again, thanks so much for your help!
Old 5 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Hi,
Sorry for the delay.
Looking at the data, I don’t think it’s the fuel rail pressure relief valve as it is faulting at different pressures (and twice going down a curb). If it was the fuel rail pressure relief valve, I’d expect it to occur at a constant pressure.
I’m only a backyard mechanic, but if it was my car, I’d check the continuity of the pressure sensor to ECU wiring (both static & and with someone wiggling the loom in various places), and clean the connector.
I think I’d then replace the the fuel rail pressure sensor. I can’t guarantee it’s the problem but, at about $150, it’s not to expensive and the equivalent of about 1 hr of labour at Mitsubishi.
Before you change it, I’d also be interested to see if a tap of the the fuel rail pressure sensor (with the engine running) would cause it to fault. If it does it would confirm the theory (but if it doesn’t, it doesn’t disprove it).
The other component that effects fuel rail pressure is the suction control valve, but I don’t think it’s the problem. It costs about $250 but you should also have a SQL (small quantity relearn) done by Mitsubishi afterwards (unsure on price - $150?). If the SCV was faulty, I wouldn’t have expected it to run better with the the fuel rail pressure sensor disconnected (when the sensor is disconnected, the ECU uses a limp mode and substitutes a set base valve so the engine will run).

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 4 Hours Ago at 05:27 AM.