• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • symo
    • Jan 2012
    • Brisvegas

Poor radio reception

DAB starts to drop out just before movie world for me when heading south , Walloon when heading west and in think just south of steve Irwin way heading north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by symo; 22-08-20, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
      There's no DAB on the Gold Coast as far as I am aware. DAB reception in Sydney was great but disappeared by the time you reached the Hawkesbury River (north) or Katoomba (west). I've had very good reception, both AM and FM in my NX although the sound quality on AM low down on the dial was awful. There was a MMCS upgrade which improved it a somewhat and but best improvement was a new head unit. Others have changed speakers for additional improvement.
      Ahh, DAB. Well, we are working on changing that for thè GC.

Pat
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Mundy55
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Gold Coast

Originally posted by psproule View Post
        Ahh, DAB. Well, we are working on changing that for thè GC.

Pat
        "We" who?

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

We = Your ABC.

Comment

• Buckos
            • Mar 2016
            • Adelaide

That explains nearly everything if the ABC is in charge of DAB. What could we expect for 8 cents a day?

Comment

• Mundy55
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Buckos View Post
              That explains nearly everything if the ABC is in charge of DAB. What could we expect for 8 cents a day?
              Ha, ha. I'm sure you are just being funny. But, even though the ABC might be a little left of centre, ABC Radio is wonderful listening. Radio National, Local radio Sydney, JJJ, Australia All Over show, are just fantastic IMHO. Local radio Gold Coast leaves a little to be desired but they are all much better than commercial radio with their inane callers and adverisements.

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

We are not in charge of DAB at all. In fact, it's a consortium of networks on the platform, and the Federal Government. Ultimately it's a platform not a lot want to sink money into. But we are looking to push the GC as a viable site for expansion. One issue with DAB is that it simply drives up transmission costs with no additional market reach - just a small fragmenting of the existing. And uptake hasn't been all that great particularly when it doesnt offer many benefits, and potentially poorer sound quality due to having to cram so much into the MUX. Broadcasters are also reticent to sink more funds into terrestrial broadcasting when streaming is the real growth market. DAB also brings it's own tranche of technical problems such as cliff effect after a certain range. It will never swap out FM altogether, and given the upset still going on over switching off shortwave, AM will also be around for a time yet. If you knew how much all that duplicate transmission costs (including streaming - the internet is not actually free) you might be a little more understanding. You get a hell of a lot more out of you $0.08 today than you did 30 years ago, including all the previously mentioned additional radio markets, the additional TV channels and all the subscription free streaming.

Back to the original problem, My NX has always had much poorer reception than the NP had, and I've often wondered if a decent traditional antennae might not solve it. I note there is a connector behind the left kick panel and it wouldn't be difficult to test one there, even without mounting it yet. Would be hard to replicate the ground plane of the body however for a test. There are a couple of companies around making quality ones including RFI. Are you also aware that there is a local / DX setting in the menus somewhere?

Pat

Comment

• Hoges1
                  • Jul 2015
                  • Gold Coast

Had the dealership in Springwood test the radio. All fine there but once again dies at about Dreamworld on my back to the GC. My 2014 NX did not have carplay but radio reception was always good.
                  2017 NX GLX. Tow bar, TJM alloy bull bar. TJM snorkel.60 L aux tank, Redarc brake controller, dual battery, 2 inch Lovells lift, Comms.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X