• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spenceee
    • Aug 2020
    • Brisbane

She's all new and shiny

G'day everyone,

Just thought I'd say g'day, just got my 2017 GLS Pajero yesterday. Been wanting a 4wd for years but finally committed!

She's very stock right now, so I thought I'd ask for some general advice. I want a car that's nice around town that occasionally goes on a beach or up a dirt road. The missus does not want gods gift to 4wds with all the fruit either on her nice new car so there is th a too.

I was thinking that at a minimum a lift plus underbody protection plates would be a starting point to go on a beach and not be terrified, particularly if I'm with some other people who have winches and snatch straps?

Mechanically should I be worried about anything and are there things I should do to look after the motor? I've never owned a diesel and I've read about things like catch cans, but sometimes they can be a bit of fairy dust rather than really protecting you. But I'd love to hear real advice from owners of my car if you have any. Don't be afraid to assume I am starting from 0 on this.

Otherwise I love the way the beast looks and feels and I've always loved the 3 diamond brand, so glad to have a much more respectable vehicle now.

Nice to meet you all virtually and I hope to follow up with the club post covid.
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Welcome spenceee

I am a fan of protection plates (I like the term bash plates). I reckon they should be fitted at the factory, they are that important.

Catch cans are not fairy dust. They stop oil mist going into the motor.

By way of a basic explanation, as part of the pollution control, these motors feed hot exhaust gasses back through the motor. The combination of the oil mist and exhaust gasses clags the inlet manifold.

Last edited by Two Emms; 09-08-20, 10:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Bought a new Paj NW in late 2014. Within a week I had a catch can, egr delete and woolen seat covers.

Over the next few years all the mods gradually got put on as required. If towing I,d definitely get a new set of shockies and springs.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Uxxo
        • Oct 2017
        • Perth

A stock Pajero is very capable offroad, so nothing to be terrified about about driving on sand with a stock vehicle.
        Just remeber to turn the traction control off and deflate the tyres. You should always carry your own recovery gear, compressor and shovel when offroad.

Regarding a moderate lift kit: as far as I know it's either 40/50mm or nothing. A decent kit will cost $2K+. Do you really need it?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Uxxo View Post
          A stock Pajero is very capable offroad, so nothing to be terrified about about driving on sand with a stock vehicle.
          Just remeber to turn the traction control off and deflate the tyres. You should always carry your own recovery gear, compressor and shovel when offroad.

Regarding a moderate lift kit: as far as I know it's either 40/50mm or nothing. A decent kit will cost $2K+. Do you really need it?

A proper intercooler bash plate is highly recommended for sand. There are many reports on here of damaged intercoolers from sand driving.

It's ASC you need to turn off. You can't turn traction control off.

Comment

• cruisn06
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Perth WA

If you do the suspension yourself, it will only cost you about 1000-1100, add in an extra 300 if you also want air bags. Will ride like a dream and you get 40mm of lift
            07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
              A proper intercooler bash plate is highly recommended for sand. There are many reports on here of damaged intercoolers from sand driving.

It's ASC you need to turn off. You can't turn traction control off.
              Locking the rear diff (if you have it) will turn off traction control.
              Attached Files
              2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                Locking the rear diff (if you have it) will turn off traction control.

I realise that mate but if you don't have an OEM diff lock?

It is the ASC you really need to turn off for sand.

Comment

• Uxxo
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Perth

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
                  If you do the suspension yourself, it will only cost you about 1000-1100, add in an extra 300 if you also want air bags. Will ride like a dream and you get 40mm of lift
                  $1000 doesn't buy a quality kit, my Bilstein/Lovells was around $1700 in parts only and DIY is not always an option.
                  The point is, the OP was specifically asking for "a car that's nice around town that occasionally goes on a beach or up a dirt road" - A stock Pajero is more than capable of driving on sand or a dirt road.

Raising the centre of gravity of a car is not always the best idea, unless you really need that extra clearance

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

$1000 doesn't buy a quality kit, my Bilstein/Lovells was around $1700 in parts only and DIY is not always an option.
                    The point is, the OP was specifically asking for "a car that's nice around town that occasionally goes on a beach or up a dirt road" - A stock Pajero is more than capable of driving on sand or a dirt road.

Raising the centre of gravity of a car is not always the best idea, unless you really need that extra clearance
                    There are other combinations just as good if not better for less money.

An ADR approved lift is fine. Our lift has no body roll at all. But as we are getting older we are looking at new suspension that is more comfortable but doesn't float like a boat.

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

I just bought a kings and lovells kit. $1100 delivered.

BUT, many years of 4 wheeling and a lot of research helped me. The OP may not have the advantage of experience. (Mind you there's a plenty of really good advice here for anyone who asks).

Add 5 or 6 hundred bucks for installation if you can't diy and it starts to be a big expense.

But I also agree that the pajero is very capable just as it rolled off the production line. As the OP gets more experience and wants to push things a bit, then a lift will be handy.
                      2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• cruisn06
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Perth WA

it most certainly does. cost doesn't always equal the best setup.

Cost break down:
                        dobinsons springs - 300 Im pretty sure I only paid 240 for them, but ill say 300 for safe room.
                        air bags - 300
                        rear 41mm foam cell tough dog shocks - 320
                        Front assembly dobinson struts - 530

Total build cost for a smooth ride on and off-road with car like manners on the highway at highspeeds ~120kmh loaded normally.
                        1450 all up.
                        or 1150 no airbags - I carry some serious loads so this wasn't an option.

With the pajero and the way it is I highly recommend a lift, as when you start airing down any clearance you had will disappear rather quickly.

OP- obviously your choice here. but it will help with some clearance in soft sand. personally I dont like digging
                        07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

This is keeping me of the beach for the moment, along with rear bumber/ sand scoop
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• craka
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Newcastle (Newie)

Have to agree if you want a suspension lift, it can be done for under and installed for under 2K.
                            I had a Lovells/ulitmate kit installed about 3years ago with airbags for $1900 with wheel alignment.

Before doing suspensio, I would lash out on a intercooler and sump guard. I have bushskinz, some other on here have boos plates.

Edit: Time goes quick, just checked it was actually 5 years ago I had the suspension installed.
                            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• spenceee
                              • Aug 2020
                              • Brisbane

Thanks so much for the good advice and welcome. I have been told that if you want to go anywhere remotely interesting a lift isn't optional. Really appreciate the costing info provided, I had back of the envelope assumed 2k for anything related to suspension.

Can I ask specifically about the bash plates that you guys have, I want everything from the front bumper to the diff covered by steel.

I have sooo much research to do. But learning. I want to learn and try and avoid big mistakes. Plus it's the family daily driver so it would be nice not to break it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X